Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell 8

M'Lady

Posted

The great melts under way now, still lots of snow on the ground, but you can see from the temperatures forecasted, that the thaw is going to set in. Hopefully there will enough snow left tomorrow, to make it very Christmassy for the big day.

The great melts under way now, still lots of snow on the ground, but you can see from the temperatures forecasted, that the thaw is going to set in. Hopefully there will enough snow left tomorrow, to make it very Christmassy for the big day.

There will be plenty around tomorrow mate its boxing day when the rains come in that the snow will start

to melt quickly.We MIGHT still have patchy cover left when the next cold air starts moving in on the 29th/30th but that depends on the extent of rain boxing day i suppose.

models look good for another cold shot towards the end of dec.

:)

Posted

Woke up to a slight reduction in the snow cover this morning, but most of it has persisted.

It still feels cold out there, so hopefully it can stick around for the Big Day. Fingers crossed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Okay so we are saying goodbye to the Snow and low temps for a while,well until the end of the year anyway

If i was a betting man i would predcict that 2010 starts on a snowy note for large parts of the country.dry.gif

TBH I would not swap the last weeks weather just for the sake of a possibilty of a white christmas.

I feel totally knackered following all this snow over the last week and will be glad of a short break before

We start all over again in a weeks time(hopefully)

To everyone on the forum have a great christmas and a very Snowy safe and happy new year.

C.S

Posted

Well the past few days IMO have been the best we have had around here for at least the last 10 year in regards to wide spread snow lasting more than 24hrs. If i remember right it started thursday night of the easterly that we were never suppose to get anything off and has snowed more or less everyday since then.

Best of all we may only need to endure another 4 days of the milder air before were plunged back into sub zero temps and more snow.

Merry xmas to all on this thread and the forum as a whole and here looking to a stonking start to 2010(probably wont happen now that i said that)

Edited by Dingwantssnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

If Peak District posters could keep an eye on snow cover on the higher grounds, that would be lovely, hoping to have a bit fun in snow up there this week-end...ThankS!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Metcheck going for a white christams for me i really dont need this as i have already posted need a break from it all

Have to say though for Met Check they have been spot on for the last 7 days

Edit me not wanting snow book an appointment at the Docs LOLhelp.gif

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Metcheck going for a white christams for me i really dont need this as i have already posted need a break from it all

Have to say though for Met Check they have been spot on for the last 7 days

Edit me not wanting snow book an appointment at the Docs LOLhelp.gif

C.S

We may get more snow tonight depending on how far north the band makes it, and how low the temps are when it reaches.

I must say - Looking at the charts, this next cold spell could be MUCH colder than the one we are currently in, with temperatures struggling to get above -2c in the day! We had 2c everyday since it started, bar one ice day. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

rapid thaw now, the temperature rising very fast, from 1.1 to 1.5C in 10 minutes

Posted

Drip, drip, drip....

Back to grey and drizzle today, temp 3c

Got about 6cm of snow last night before the thaw set in. Another snow shower this morning, and then a little light rain.

7th day of complete snow cover and 6 days with falling snow, max depth 17cm on Tuesday make this a memorable spell when you consider we are so close to the relatively warm Irish sea. Will be a complete cover for Xmas day too here (unless it rains all night).

I kind of feel we have used up all our "snow events" for the winter in one go, but the models suggest more cold weather might set in as early as Sunday. Please keep the rain away til then so the cover stays til then!!

Happy Christmas everyone and thanks for an entertaining "soap opera" over the last week or so, its really added to it all for me!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The GFS might well be forecasting a cold spell over the new year but I wouldnt be so sure yet, I think the new GFS is really going to struggle with milder spells like the old GFS struggled with cold spells.

Posted

1.4c and isnt rising due to a thick mist. Still an inch of snow on the grass, and a couple of cm's on wide open paths, turned to slush and ice elsewhere due to it been enclosed.

Should be freezing tonight when the cloud clears up.

Will be okay to have a slightly milder break to allow the ice to melt. Shouldn't last long - Am expecting a better cold spell that the present one come January.

Wasn't too good here besides the best hailstorm i've ever seen, the heaviest snow i've ever seen and the biggest flakes i've ever seen. Not at one time did I get more than one inch.

Posted
Wasn't too good here besides the best hailstorm i've ever seen, the heaviest snow i've ever seen and the biggest flakes i've ever seen.

Classic! biggrin.gif

Here:

best hailstorm - nope

heaviest snow - not a chance

biggest flakes - well, possibly

The most unusual occurrences for me were a ) the thundersnowstorm (snow thunderstorm?) and b ) the amount of graupel falling and lying.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

Classic! biggrin.gif

Here:

best hailstorm - nope

heaviest snow - not a chance

biggest flakes - well, possibly

The most unusual occurrences for me were a ) the thundersnowstorm (snow thunderstorm?) and b ) the amount of graupel falling and lying.

Cool. :blush:

I think more hail is possible, GFS doesn't show temps getting above 4c here even during the milder 2 days. I like hail just as much as snow - But hail lies much faster and better than snow, snow melts so damn easy, whilst hail - It takes forever! :blush:

Posted

Foggy up here in Horwich: we haven't seen the sun all day. The snow is still lying thickly - especially on Winter Hill (as I saw when I walked up to the mast). We had heavy snow last night and several showers during the day.

Posted

The snows depth has decreased by about 25% up here through the day, either the temperature rose for a time or this low cloud is trapping in the radiant heat from buildings, etc.

Posted

Fantastic night with lots of snow, easily 3 inches lying still.

Looking forward for a walk up the Berwyn Pass tomorrow, there's well over 7 inches lying at the highest ground.

Temperature currently -0.4C