Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell 8

M'Lady

Posted

This fall of snow had made it just about an average winter in terms of snowiness, as usually here we get one decent fall every year, although decent in my mind is not so decent in some elses. Not complaining though 1cm is more than I was expecting!

Temperatures starting to rise now.

tbh stephen, the last time we had anything approaching 1 cm was back in 2004, since then we have had a few flakes here and there sleet..except the last couple of days where 2 inches fell yesterday and another 2.5inches tonight. Not very much compared to the rest of the northwest with this active snowband and whats gone before, but none the less the last time we had this amount of snow on the ground had to have been in the early 90's. At least we have seen some appreciable snow fall just 25/26 hours away from the big day, with a promise of more to come tomorrow and xmas day morning, even if it doesnt materalize the kids are in heaven with this snow, the first they have had to build snowmen with. :cc_confused:

Posted

Yes, a brilliant cold and snowy spell for sure!

The band is moving northwards now so I hope for some clearance to allow the temperature to fall.

Karyo

Me too, I'm hoping for quick clearance and back to cloudless skies as soon as to be honest..

Posted

Started snowing again here. Having already cleared the drive for the past 3 mornings will tomorrow be the 4th ? We are now coming up to our 7th day with some sort of snow on the ground which for Preston is almost unheard of.

Mate you really need to change your nickname lol

Actually, quite a few Northwest members need to!

What a week it's been so far, and still we are getting pelted :cc_confused:

Coming down heavy here still - great stuff!

Who knows, with this change of weather-luck, next summer we might actually get lots of thunderstorms (hope against hope)

Posted

OMG..........is this a dream?............ left the Crac pub in liverplool City Centre with heavy snow falling.

I get the 75 bus home, if its snowoing like this in the city centre, whats it going to be like in woolton a few miles inland?

answser....fcking fantastic............ I've not seen snow like this for years.

Massive fall, even the main bus routes and roads have an inch.

Where the hell has this come from.............amazing!!!

In my village the xmas tree is covered, got pelted with sowballs by some kids..............a winter wonderland here.

Seriously I've never seen snow like this since '63.

This wasn't forecast.....what the fck happpened?

Edited by martinj2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Got about 3" here (i know it must be because it's cold :cc_confused: ) just been out with my son building the worlds greatest snowman...God i feel like a 12 yr old all over again..i've waited so long for a snowfall like this, i'll post some piccies tomorrow, but now i'm off to bed , not only p***** on wine but also ecstatic :lol: , please let it still be here tomorrow when iwake up , i'm quite looking forward to the slog into work!! :lol:

Posted

Mate you really need to change your nickname lol

Actually, quite a few Northwest members need to!

What a week it's been so far, and still we are getting pelted :lol:

Coming down heavy here still - great stuff!

Who knows, with this change of weather-luck, next summer we might actually get lots of thunderstorms (hope against hope)

I know good innit. :cc_confused: Thing is though its not happening, because its not South of Watford, if we keep quiet about it no one will know.

Posted

OMG..........is this a dream?............or have iI really left the Crac pub in liverplool City Centre with heavy snow falling.

I get the 75 bus home, if its snowoing like this in the city centre, whats it going to be like in woolton a few miles inland?

answser....fcking fantastic............ I've not seen snow like this for years.

Massive fall, even the main bus routes and roads have an inch.

Where the hell has this come from.............amazing!!!

In my village the xmas tree is covered, got pelted with sowballs by some kids..............a winter wonderland here.

Seriously I've never seen snow like this since '63.

This wasn't forecast.....what the fck happpened?

South Liverpool is at the extreme end of the cold zone, with moist warmer air in the south racing up bringing showers into the region which was more than cold enough for it to produce snow, infact the estuary would have played it's part in pepping up the snow showers to a degree, the further north you go, the colder and hence heavy snow will fall..expecting a nice clear spell to cool the temps for potentially more snow later on (6am ish)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Over an inch of additional snow has fallen from this already.

Crazy.

Yeh I know, same here - and I'm on the coast! It's still very constant and moderate :cc_confused:, although it will ease in the next hour.

Edited by chris93

Posted

Over an inch of additional snow has fallen from this already.

Crazy.

Mental here too massive flakes and falling heavy too and swirling round in the wind! Can't say I have seen anything like this for a while! Long may it continue! :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

almighty drizzle :cc_confused: If it freezes when this lot has melted it's going to be fun tomorrow!

Posted

Yes, we have 10, yes 10 inches of snow now, this stuff has fallen on already frozen packed snow, so it's awful at the moment, still showers packing in the west heading up this way too!

Posted

I know good innit. cold.gif Thing is though its not happening, because its not South of Watford, if we keep quiet about it no one will know.

Aye that's so true!

Every time I post lately the snow is heavier - good grief lol

Edit : flakes are the size of dinner plates now.......ok not quite but bleedin big

Edited by sconetone

Posted

just because it's really annoying, this is a VERY rare event for my area, it's quite rare i see snow like that.

Hopefully it will not melt the snow, i want it to hurry and clear up to allow the temps to drop back into the minuses ready for the next batch of showers. smile.gif

Just to make your situation seem better, we here in Swansea have seen nearly all our snow washed into sludgy crap and disappear, there are one or two spots obviously where it will stay for a short while, but the rain has turned us back to good old muddy green.

Your right to get angry, you need a release for that frustration !

All the best for this evening !!

Once again from a fellow low lander near the sea good luck!!

Damn the sea and damn the south westerlys lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Temp rising here... 0.6c with fog. Can fog melt snow?

Posted

South Liverpool is at the extreme end of the cold zone, with moist warmer air in the south racing up bringing showers into the region which was more than cold enough for it to produce snow, infact the estuary would have played it's part in pepping up the snow showers to a degree, the further north you go, the colder and hence heavy snow will fall..expecting a nice clear spell to cool the temps for potentially more snow later on (6am ish)

Well thanks for that mate...................but I was not expecting it..............changed to freezing dirizzle now........fcking fantastic that fall we had.

OMG I can't whinge about never getting snow now!

Edited by martinj2

Posted

Just to make your situation seem better, we here in Swansea have seen nearly all our snow washed into sludgy crap and disappear, there are one or two spots obviously where it will stay for a short while, but the rain has turned us back to good old muddy green.

Your right to get angry, you need a release for that frustration !

All the best for this evening !!

Once again from a fellow low lander near the sea good luck!!

Damn the sea and damn the south westerlys lol

Thanks mate :smiliz19:

Looks like it's going to rain here shortly too. Temp rising.

Temp slowly falling again. was -0.6C now -1.1C and dewpoint -1C :drunk:

Are you sure? a nearby station is only recording 0.7c - Is your station reading temps too low?

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/03323.html

Posted

Seriously this is the heaviest snow I have ever seen with the size of flakes too. Most of them the palm of your hand! How long is it going to last?

Edited by NW_Blackburn

Posted

Seriously this is the heaviest snow I have ever seen with the size of flakes too. Most of them the palm of your hand! How long is going to last?

Wind direction is east by south you could be in for quite a bit of snow with that band

Posted

Wind direction is east by south you could be in for quite a bit of snow with that band

When will the clear spell occur? It's badly needed here, it's foggy and 0.7c. :smiliz19: :S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

:smiliz19: oh no its raining here now :drunk:

is it likely to clear much away or are there more showers to follow for s manchester?