Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell 8

M'Lady

Posted

< Still awake.

Just nipped down for a smoke in an attempt to escape insomnias' debilitating clutches, looked out of the window to see more snow gently falling, lots of really big fluffy flakes.

Another 6 inches seems to have fallen here tonight from what I can see, Christmas travel through here is going to be a problem as this place was like a covered fjord already before this new snow came along.

I might open the curtains to see if these flakes can mesmerise me in to sleeping, they look like little fluffy pillows.

Posted

< Still awake.

Just nipped down for a smoke in an attempt to escape insomnias' debilitating clutches, looked out of the window to see more snow gently falling, lots of really big fluffy flakes.

Another 6 inches seems to have fallen here tonight from what I can see, Christmas travel through here is going to be a problem as this place was like a covered fjord already before this new snow came along.

I might open the curtains to see if these flakes can mesmerise me in to sleeping, they look like little fluffy pillows.

I'm the same, woke up at 4.40 and can't get back to sleep, the sky looks very heavy again here, but without waking up the dogs I can't put on the security lights to see if it's actually snowing. Looks like we've had another 4 or so inches. Good thing I took the day off just hope it stays around long enough to enjoy it today.

Shadowfax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

well well, was barley snowing last night when I set off work and then turn to sleet, at 1.00 am it was raining some of it freezing then at 4am it started snowing heavy but not for long, just aswell coz the girtters were only just getting out and about at 05.50, we got another inch and all the roads are covered again but the rain has compacted the snow that was already laid. and its 2c here so theres actually a bit of a thaw now.... all this at 300m biggrin.gif. I susspect if its 2c now it will be higher during the day and the highest temp so far during this cold snap so there could well be a signifcant thaw throughout the day.

Was a laff at work tonight having snow fights at 1 and 4 in the morning !

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

This is turning out to be the best cold spell since 78/79. Another 4" fall of snow to go with the 6" that was still there. Looks like a thaw will set in on Boxing day, thereafter rinse and repeat. FANTASTIC!!!

Posted

More snow here again this morning. 2-3 inches on top of what was left over from Monday/Tuesday. Unless there's a thaw of biblical proportions we will have snow on the ground for Christmas day :cold: and it looks like getting colder again next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

not much snowfall this far west but we kept the frost even with cloud cover its -0.7c now calm wind

Posted

Well there goes our freezing record in tatters.temps really starting to rise. 1.8C There will be no snow left on the ground come lunchtime and it will be peeing it down quite heavily under a 10C base tomorrow..you just watch. When people talk about cold..the first thing i think about is whether we'll break any heat records.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

We have had rain here in Chorlton which has melted some of last nights snow and made it very wet. Still there is still a lot of snow on the grouund so Im pretty confident we will have snow on the ground for Christmas day. Temp is currently 1.6 and dewpoint 0.5 so we wont be getting any more snow thats for sure. Until next week....

Posted

We have had rain here in Chorlton which has melted some of last nights snow and made it very wet. Still there is still a lot of snow on the grouund so Im pretty confident we will have snow on the ground for Christmas day. Temp is currently 1.6 and dewpoint 0.5 so we wont be getting any more snow thats for sure. Until next week....

Pretty much similar to here (except no rain here at all), unless you get a big freeze tonight, which I cant see (temps expected to rise quite readily today maybe upto 10/11C by the time this low has finished tomorrow)..so I would think by the end of today early tomorrow any thing you have left will be gone.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

After last nights ecstasy(the feeling not the drug :D ), this morning is a bit of a let down , must have had another 2-3 inches last night , but this morning the roads are slushy , still a good cover on the ground so hopefully it won't all disappear before tomorrow...oh yes as well if any of the paperboys who deliver to my road are reading this then be afraid...very afraid...the snowman that me and my son built last night has been trashed again by you low life and if i get hold of you then you might be developing a liking for hospital food!! :D

Pretty much similar to here (except no rain here at all), unless you get a big freeze tonight, which I cant see (temps expected to rise quite readily today maybe upto 10/11C by the time this low has finished tomorrow)..so I would think by the end of today early tomorrow any thing you have left will be gone.

Think you're being a bit OTT there , it's certainly not gonna get to those sorts of temps over the enxt few days, 3-4 c maybe with -1-2 overnight

Posted

After last nights ecstasy(the feeling not the drug :D ), this morning is a bit of a let down , must have had another 2-3 inches last night , but this morning the roads are slushy , still a good cover on the ground so hopefully it won't all disappear before tomorrow...oh yes as well if any of the paperboys who deliver to my road are reading this then be afraid...very afraid...the snowman that me and my son built last night has been trashed again by you low life and if i get hold of you then you might be developing a liking for hospital food!! :D

Think you're being a bit OTT there , it's certainly not gonna get to those sorts of temps over the enxt few days, 3-4 c maybe with -1-2 overnight

Nah am not already hit 2.7C rising quite quickly now.

I wish it would be in the minuses but thats pure fantasy right now as we deal with rising temps..infact the cold is disappearing north at quite and alarming rate. Might not reach 10//11 but it will very likely reach 7/8 and 2/3 overnight here. Unless some extraordinary happens..not checked the gfs or any other charts yet..its a pretty clear bet now tho, that the cold will diminish as we have a mild interlude (with the cold temps coming back first week of January)

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
Nah am not already hit 2.7C rising quite quickly now.

I wish it would be in the minuses but thats pure fantasy right now as we deal with rising temps..infact the cold is disappearing north at quite and alarming rate. Might not reach 10//11 but it will very likely reach 7/8 and 2/3 overnight here.

My location (not all that far from yours) has a predicted high of 4c today and 5c tomorrow. I'd be extremely surprised to see double figures.

Much of last night's snow is still on the ground here although, as the temperature is 2c, it's melting slowly.

Posted

Sorry everyone but its still snowing like mad here, I know it's my altitude, it only starts to turn to snow on the radar as it comes north past Bury.

Shadowfax

Posted

My location (not all that far from yours) has a predicted high of 4c today and 5c tomorrow. I'd be extremely surprised to see double figures.

Much of last night's snow is still on the ground here although, as the temperature is 2c, it's melting slowly.

I havent checked the models yet...its quite confusing...some are saying there will be colder undercutting occuring at some point today which will drag colder temps back down south and as it hits the moist air it will turn to snow for our region...then theres the warm air makes in roads pushing the cold out of the northwest entirely.

The positive thing out of all of this, is my dewpoint has dropped slightly to -0.7C with a bad 2.7C..whether it cools or not is another thing.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

I dont think the temp will rise above about 4 for the next few days and the days are currently very short so Id be amazed if all the snow on the ground is gone before tomorrow

Posted
I havent checked the models yet...its quite confusing...

I don't look at the models... I can't follow them. *blush*

I just follow netweathers forecasts as they are generally very good! :drinks:

Posted

I don't look at the models... I can't follow them. *blush*

I just follow netweathers forecasts as they are generally very good! :drinks:

Latest charts tend to go with milder temps of between 4/6C But I guess anything can happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Not sure why you guys are talking of double figure temps, it's not going to get above 4/5c till tomorrow night. 1.3c here atm.

Gutted, we have had a thick mist overnight that's turned the snow to ice and slush, although still a good inch on the grass. Expecting -2.0c tonight which will ensure we have lying snow until Christmas day. <_<

Posted

Currently 1.1c with dewpoint of 1.0c here - so a slow thaw going on. I would expect there to still be a decent snowcover for some of us over Christmas Day although Boxing Day will see a quicker thaw I suspect.