Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 7

Methuselah

Posted

Benbecula readings seriously wrong. -16c LOL

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/aktframe?TYP=windspitzen&KEY=UK&LANG=en&ART=tabelle&JJ=xxxx&SORT=2&INT=24

:whistling:

Here comes the snow (or is it rain)

sno.jpg

What's folks saying over in Ireland? What's temps over there?

Merry Christmas everyone!

The latest BBC forecast surprised me as they made no mention of any snow/sleet/rain from that band crossing Ireland just now. Its as if they think it will fizzle away after crossing Northern Ireland.

On the 06z GFZ this morning it still looks like some sleet or snow moving into South West Scotland late this evening and then crossing Southern and Central Scotland overnight. It doesnt look too heavy but where it falls as snow could give a few centimetres.

I wonder who will be right?

Yet, the BBC (Gail McGrane) report 5-10cm still with treacherous driving conditions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8430491.stm

Who will be right?!

Posted

yeah the bbc are back to forecasting the snow to spread pretty far inland now to around the southern highlands. So its strange there earlier forecast was so different

Posted

Yes probably once but not all week for her, she also said dundee has several feet of snow and on wednesday night the got another 6 inches is this true? btw she lives in the outer circle of dundee not country so dont be telling me about angus and aberdeen. please

I wish we had. I think I measured 5 1/2". Slightly more where little drifts had built. To be honest, ither than the fall that moved down from the North, we only had showers. And yes I am refering to Dundeeitself, not outlying areas.

Think she is spinning you one bud!!diablo.gifdiablo.gif

Edit, I dont think it was ever over 5"

Edited by Snowplough33

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Merry Xmas people!

Well there is still plenty of snow on the ground here, but it's thawing today. We had mainly light rain showers here earlier this morning. However, there was a moderate burst of sleety rain while i was doing my 0900hr observation. Temp, 1.5C and Tdew, 1C at the time.

2100-0900 min temp, 0.5C at 2100hr.

Snow depth at 0900hr, 9cm in garden and 6.5cm in nearby field- so a loss of 3cm from yesterday.

The sun is out now and temp is near 3C.

Edited by snow1975

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Happy Xmas Snow1975 ! Cloud breaking here too and sun threatening. Dusk in a couple of hours and a ground frost would stop the rot for all of us in east-central areas.

Not quite so badly hit up town and as any Leither will tell you, "Leith isnae Embra". Heading up to the in-laws at Liberton in a while, often chalk and cheese between there and here in these situations ... was pretty deep up there until 24 hours ago and I expect these higher parts of town to still be in good-nick snow-wise :whistling:

Merry Xmas people!

Well there is still plenty of snow on the ground here, but it's thawing today. We had mainly light rain showers here earlier this morning. However, there was a moderate burst of sleety rain while i was doing my 0900hr observation. Temp, 1.5C and Tdew, 1C at the time.

2100-0900 min temp, 0.5C at 2100hr.

Snow depth at 0900hr, 9cm in garden and 6.5cm in nearby field- so a loss of 3cm from yesterday.

The sun is out now and temp is near 3C.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Benbecula readings seriously wrong. -16c LOL

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/aktframe?TYP=windspitzen&KEY=UK&LANG=en&ART=tabelle&JJ=xxxx&SORT=2&INT=24

:whistling:

Here comes the snow (or is it rain)

sno.jpg

What's folks saying over in Ireland? What's temps over there?

Yet, the BBC (Gail McGrane) report 5-10cm still with treacherous driving conditions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8430491.stm

Who will be right?!

well temps up here in ni are from -3c to -9c its -5.6c here currently expecting it to snow around 2pm or 3pm and around 5-10c maybe 2-5cm for scotland because its fizzling out very quickly as it heads north though scotland will probably snatch the large bits of the band!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

merry christmas everyone looks good for this evening for some more snow especially for the south current weather conditions are -2.3 clouds thickening and with 10inch of snow on the ground looking for a further 2-3 inches tonight im away to eat some turkey whistling.gif

Posted

merry christmas everyone looks good for this evening for some more snow especially for the south current weather conditions are -2.3 clouds thickening and with 10inch of snow on the ground looking for a further 2-3 inches tonight im away to eat some turkey whistling.gif

spot on the day cold with a bit of sunshine and snowcover what an xmas day, took some pics using my phone but cant find my cable to transfer the photos to comp agh an immense day :) all the best

Scott

Posted

Christmas Eve and Santa has sent us an early present, its snowing gently and still -2c,it doesn"t get better than this!

Teach me to open my big mouth,got warmer around midnight and roofs started thawing(+1c) with rain and sleet.We have a cental gutter between two roofs on the farmhouse blocked with frozen slush, melt water nowhere to go but our bedroom and so was up till 3.00am thawing the downpipe and central gutter!!!

Currently 0c with a max of 1c today and a ground frost in the shade, snow will take a lot of shifting as it is like ice after several freeze thaw cycles and very difficult to walk on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

was it -10c in dundee anytime this week, because when my sister seen it was -11c here she was telling us how it was -10c in dundee all last weekend and on monday.. it dosnt matter was just wondering because she seemed to be making it a bit dramatic!

The night before last my weather station recorded -9.3C. Not quite -10 but not far off. Before that about -7C was the coldest. Just back from lunch so some delay in replying.

here now currently partly cloudy at -1.9C

Nor.

Posted

The rain/sleet showers early this morning moved away to leave quite a sunny afternoon. Less cold today with a slight but steady thaw of lying snow. Now, black ice is forming in paths, pavements and side roads- very treacherous! The snowpack has developed a crusty top.

Max temp since 0900h, 3.8C- the warmest day for over a week.

Current temp, 1.0C

Dewpoint T, 0C

As for the system coming in tonight, if the precipitation is too light and coupled with marginal uppers, it might just be rain or sleet here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hi all, hope your having a good christmas. Stayed dry here (thankfully, as the showers would've been rain)and temperatures are now at 0C. The overnight band looks more like it will be snow for most, given dew points are progged to be just below freezing, according to the NMM. The 6Z NMM shows a more intense band moving through by mid-morning, and while the uppers are to be around -3C the thicknesses are below 528 for most, meaning precipitation could well be snow as well. Towards the end of tomorrow, another band of precipitation looks like heading northeast, and with the thicknesses similar to earlier in the day, most places should expect this to be wintry in nature as well. Behind this, it turns much colder from the north-northwest, with northern and western areas taking the brunt of any snow showers, before a low pressure system moves across the channel on Tuesday, bringing, wait for it all those in Fife, Angus and Lothians, an easterly, followed by a northeasterly for Hogmanay. After this, the outlook is a bit less certain, but it looks as though high pressure to our west will keep the cold weather going well into the New Year, with winds from the north, and a pretty reasonable looking set up for the formation of Polar Lows, but although this outcome has very good model support, it is still quite a way off yet. Anything after this is FI. I'll leave you with some charts to chew on after your turkey dinner:

ECM 00Z- the initial northerly:

Recm721.gif

The ENEsterly:

Recm1441.gif

The GEM building a 1050mb greenie high on Hogmanay:

Rgem1561.gif

And finally, the GFS 06Z ensembles for Edinburgh:

t850Midlothian.png

Are the met office really sure it's 'getting milder' ??

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

LomondSnowStorm, they are pretty impressive charts to look foward too. With uppers between -5C and -10C, snow is guarenteed for the next week or so. Some are even approaching -15C.

Edited by snow1975

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

LomondSnowStorm, they are pretty impressive charts to look foward too. With uppers between -5C and -10C, snow is guarenteed for the next week or so. Some are even approaching -15C.

It really is great stuff, considering it is on the back of a very impressive cold spell over the last few days. In fact, in terms of cold, next week could well be more impressive, with less marginality for snow events and a mid-week easterly which could be very potent, given the strength of the flow and the uppers being so cold. Tomorrow may well be the only less cold day between Mid-December and the 2nd week of January - amazing, given we are in a moderate-strong el nino at the moment.

LS

Posted

Warnings are updated now mainly for ice, they do however say 1-2cm of snow. They also mention rain and sleet! We shall see what happens though, the snow/rain seems to be intensifying in some areas and the warning is until lunchtime tomorrow.

Posted

Jeez, temps have dipped to -2.8c here in past hour. Windscreen wasn't frozen then - solid coating now.

Frozen rain this morning was the only ppn today. Proper frozen rain; droplets freezing as they landed on the cars.

Posted

Temperature is now -1.2C, so heading in the right direction. The cirrus from that system is not too far away to the south-south-west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Classic Christmas Day with Freezing Fog and 5cm of snow. An hour of sunshine brought Max. Temp. to 0.3C.

Temp. now -5.0C, DP -5.7C.

Posted

Merry Christmas all, what a perfect day, cold crisp and white, although could have gone a little easier on the champs!!! Here's hoping for a top up tonight, temp down to -3 here now.

I`m sure you scottish members are having a right chuckle at those saying the cold spell is over and at those writing off more heavy snow next week, ummm the same people who wrote off heavy snow before this cold spell gave traffic disruption in parts of south east england, northern england and scotland.