Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 7

Methuselah

Posted

It's got a bit heavier and is now sleet. Still below freezing though so it's not doing any damage to the snowcover yet, expect that it will be snow in any heavier bursts - if we get them!

:):)

That's the Grand Slam Dunk of Xmas Day weather complete.

Full snow cover all day.

Freezing rain.

Freezing sleet.

Brief snow shower (last three all before or at 9am).

Crisp winter sunshine for several hours.

Thick freezing fog.

Now more snow.

I can't ever remember such a good Xmas Day for weather. Not to say it hasn't happened in any winter since 1978. However, this Xmas Day will be remembered for the rest of my life as one of the best cold weather winters.

Posted

:):)

Full snow cover all day.

Freezing rain.

Freezing sleet.

Thick freezing fog.

Now more snow.

I can't ever remember such a good Xmas Day for weather. Not to say it hasn't happened in any winter since 1978. However, this Xmas Day will be remembered for the rest of my life as one of the best cold weather winters.

send it down here please should definitely be snow here :)

Posted

yahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Full snow cover all day.

Freezing rain.

Freezing sleet.

Thick freezing fog.

Now more snow.

Have to agree with you on this....beautiful sunny crisp day with the temp staying below freezing out of the sun. Hills to the north sparkling in the daylight...and all this on xmas day. Gonna take some beating. Still looking forward to the next few weeks and enjoying more old skool winter weather.

I only hope that the weekend doesn't bring any serious thaw, there aren't really any major concerns on this front are there?

Merry christmas everyone,

Matt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

heavy snow here for the past 45min a nice new 2inch covering on the 10inch which is already here our streets are a pure mess with ice and snow you cant walk on the pavements or side roads its like a ice rinkaggressive.gif

snow/hail/freezing rain here! Got about 1cm of slush!

Well we've got about 12 snowflakes per 100cm2

Precip band seems to be wanting to do a fast lurch east :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

snow/hail/freezing rain here! Got about 1cm of slush!

we may be only 10 miles apart but being slightly more inland and a bit higher makes all the difference saying that holybush was bad a couple of days agoaggressive.gif

Posted

Hollybush tends to mark the start of the "snow line" down that way I think.

It is still bafflingly dry in Dunoon at the moment, I reckon Arran is stealing all our snow.

Not that it needs any...

post-6569-12617813205313_thumb.jpg

It is still bafflingly dry in Dunoon at the moment, I reckon Arran is stealing all our snow.

Precip seems to be rearranging itself after the full frontal assault on Arran, it will be interesting to see how it comes out of that battle! :whistling::drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

-2.1C here and clouding over. Radar watching should be fun as that band of precipitation edges eastwards towards Fife - in time for a technical white christmas? It would be a close call, but 11.59pm still counts, not that it actually matters!!

LS

-2.1C here and clouding over. Radar watching should be fun as that band of precipitation edges eastwards towards Fife - in time for a technical white christmas? It would be a close call, but 11.59pm still counts, not that it actually matters!!

LS

I'm just waiting for the precip band to rearrange after smacking Arran. All to play for or all to miss out on. Having said that, it doesn't really matter if I get 2 inches of snow or not. The supposed warm up just has not happened. Well, I suppose it has, it got up to almost 1C today for an hour. This precip band will pass through here overnight so even if it misses then temps will not rise much. After the precip there is nothing so temps will stay low regardless (relatively) of upper temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

If no snow falls today, then we'll wreck a run of 8, that's right 8, days where snow has fallen, and on all of them it fell for 30 minutes or more. If it hits at around 11.40pm then I suspect Boxing Day could also be counted as a day where snow fell as well, and the 27th with a more northerly flow has some promise as well!

Never seen this kind of frequency of snow events

LS

If no snow falls today, then we'll wreck a run of 8, that's right 8, days where snow has fallen, and on all of them it fell for 30 minutes or more. If it hits at around 11.40pm then I suspect Boxing Day could also be counted as a day where snow fell as well, and the 27th with a more northerly flow has some promise as well!

Never seen this kind of frequency of snow events

LS

:D at this LS :) (and everything else which follows is very firmly tongue (sp?) in cheek, and in no way against anything you have said LS :) :lol:)

I got my Consecutive Snow Wrecker Day (CSWD) yesterday. Flaming rubbish cold spell which has only seen snow now on 7 or is it 8 out of the last 9 or 8 days?? I have lost count. What utter rubbish weather. As if the 4 days of solid fog, without even a hint of sun, rain or wind earlier in Decemember wasn't enough. Now I am only counting one CSWD. At this rate I should move to central England and be done with it. Snow shmoe.

Further to the above whinge about the lack of winter weather, the models are only showing more cold weather with the odd interlude of coldness. I see the Met-O have an advance warning out for England/Wales for northern edge snow off a low on Tues 29th Dec, which is over half a week away. That will mean that we are stuck in cold air. Bummer.

I must write to my MP as this is a disgrace. At least, for once, my favourite newspaper, the Daily Mail was correct, when it proclaimed in their normally level headed and balanced headlines last month that the "UK is to be gripped by worst winter blizzards ever".

Posted

Yeah, its been coming down here now very nicely for the past half hour or so, nice big powdery flakes! Got another 1 1/2" so far and its still coming down moderately! I hope it doesnt all melt!, mind it would be gd to get rid of that ice thats about, its LETHAL!

Posted

laugh.gif at this LS smile.gif (and everything else which follows is very firmly tongue (sp?) in cheek, and in no way against anything you have said LS smile.gifgood.gif)

I got my Consecutive Snow Wrecker Day (CSWD) yesterday. Flaming rubbish cold spell which has only seen snow now on 7 or is it 8 out of the last 9 or 8 days?? I have lost count. What utter rubbish weather. As if the 4 days of solid fog, without even a hint of sun, rain or wind earlier in Decemember wasn't enough. Now I am only counting one CSWD. At this rate I should move to central England and be done with it. Snow shmoe.

Further to the above whinge about the lack of winter weather, the models are only showing more cold weather with the odd interlude of coldness. I see the Met-O have an advance warning out for England/Wales for northern edge snow off a low on Tues 29th Dec, which is over half a week away. That will mean that we are stuck in cold air. Bummer.

I must write to my MP as this is a disgrace. At least, for once, my favourite newspaper, the Daily Mail was correct, when it proclaimed in their normally level headed and balanced headlines last month that the "UK is to be gripped by worst winter blizzards ever".

Lol. My friend skiing in Italy this week is reporting thundersnow for Christmas - not really great for skiing in but wonderful to watch! I know I'm easily excited at snow given my memory doesn't extent back even to the snowy mid 90 spells, but this spell has just been brilliant. CSWD appears to have happened today, given the band to our south is not moving north quickly enough, but still there is next week to look forward to. It doesn't look like the Scottish cold spell forum will be closed anytime soon!!

LS

CSWD appears to have happened today, given the band to our south is not moving north quickly enough, but still there is next week to look forward to. It doesn't look like the Scottish cold spell forum will be closed anytime soon!!

LS

I have been radar watching for hours and guess what. The precip which smashed Arran has now broken up and lurched east. Looks like my call of snow earlier came and went with the 12 snowflakes we had 2 hours ago :lol:

Do you have NW radar???

If so put in PA13 4 as a postcode zoom and then watch the precip from 10pm until now. Another near miss :D

Edit: GFS did this with the precip band on many runs. Had it running straight for me and then heading east just before it hit. GFS has been superb at times with precip at anything up to +96hrs recently.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

I have been radar watching for hours and guess what. The precip which smashed Arran has now broken up and lurched east. Looks like my call of snow earlier came and went with the 12 snowflakes we had 2 hours ago rofl.gif

Do you have NW radar???

If so put in PA13 4 as a postcode zoom and then watch the precip from 10pm until now. Another near miss rofl.gif

Edit: GFS did this with the precip band on many runs. Had it running straight for me and then heading east just before it hit. GFS has been superb at times with precip at anything up to +96hrs recently.

Ouch, it's quite hard to believe that happened! I find the GFS is good at handling precipitation from most situations, however it does understimate easterly convection showers quite a bit. It's official - KY15 had the CSWD on Christmas Day! Oh well, can't complain - -2.1C with a band of what looks to be moderate to heavy precipitation heading our way, though it might just disappear, as your band did! At least my dad will be able to get back home from his gourockian relatives tomorrow.

Enjoy Boxing Day, otherwise known as 'intermittent slightly milder upper air temperature day' yahoo.gif

Hope 'santa' delivered for all

LS