Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 7

Methuselah

Posted

Merry X-mas to all. We have had a fair bit of thaw today with sleet showers this afternoon.

Looks good on the runs for next while though.

N-joy crimbo and hopefully lots more snow to come.

Congates on the recent forecasts clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Hope our thaw is not too damaging. Still a good blanket, that will hopefully freeze!

Posted

Christmas Eve and Santa has sent us an early present, its snowing gently and still -2c,it doesn"t get better than this!

Posted

now stopped :help:

Lets hope my mother can get home then, one day with her is good, over-night and were talking banging head off wall!wallbash.gif

got to page 6 of 11, saw this and laughed out loud!

My sister and I have been on the phone more than once this week, We're supposed to be going to sis's tomorrow. However the conversation always turned to mother and how she was going to get there/home.. we took her last year and had to leave early because of her, we managed to get her to bed at about 2 last year! This year we only have a small car and were not even sure we could get there ourselves (the no unnecessary travel bit!) but one thing we had decided that if it was at all borderline we couldn't go get her - which ultimately meant we couldn't go either.. no win situation - it's nae easy at times is it :help:

anyhoo back to today it was a bit hairy this am, our temps are remaining borderline, and these showers are still falling as rain/snizzle/sleet/snow, so no loss/ no gain despite hitting a max of 2C today. Thankfully it 'warmed' enough that we didn't have to sledge the shopping back up the hill this am, and hopefully it'll be enough to travel safely through the next 2 days. Then it can snow it's heart out :)

Mondy that caption/pic is priceless

See we've got new warnings? = covering ones "donkey" springs to mind

Yes I think We don;t need to split up here in community but the warnings, Meto or Weather Community need to realise the vast differences we can have up here

but all in all a Very Merry Christmas to you all! and here's to a interesting weather watching Year!

post-4683-12616834212913_thumb.jpg

Edited by Snooz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I do like the Ian Brown quote about the 'sorry episode for the GFS', which turned out to be exactly on the money, unlike his forecast!

Some very very good ensembles, with the mildest part of them being the next few days, though I still think the PPN will be mostly wintry:

t850Fife.png

Note the huge support for the cold uppers between the 29th December and the start of January, and note that the mean, control and operational all stay below -5 after the 28th, right into FI. the weekend will be the big challenge for retaining snow cover, though: if it stays intact by Monday morning, we're looking at it being on the ground for potentially another week or so without any threat, and the probabillity of more accumulations on top for most areas.

Exciting stuff

LS

Posted

-4 feels warm nowadays :acute:

LOL! do a Shuggee before it's too late :)

Posted

Christmas Eve and Santa has sent us an early present, its snowing gently and still -2c,it doesn"t get better than this!

White dusting on the black road surface here too..........:acute:

Posted

I got stuck in the snow on the way home the other night and had to sleep in the car. It was no fun, let me tell you - I was hungry, lonely and freezing. I barely slept a wink.

In the morning the snow had melted a bit and I was able to continue on my way. Having had such a sh*t night, I decided to go round to my girlfriend's house. When I got there I parked outside, looked up and saw her at her bedroom window. She looked so happy to see me. Suddenly I was overcome with emotion because I was so pleased to see her too. We've been together for three years so far and had some wonderful times. I know it may sound soppy and over-the-top but, at that moment in time, there was no-one else on Earth that I wanted to be with. She was the one.

I got out of the car and made my way towards her front door. The front lawn was a blanket of untouched snow and, with my girlfriend still watching me, an idea crossed my mind. Giddy with emotion, I stepped onto the lawn, got down on one knee and began to carve a message in the snow, letter by letter...

HANNAH, WILL YOU MA...

I looked up and could see her starting to breathe heavily, trying to smile as her eyes welled up with tears...

...KE ME A CUP OF TEA AND A SANDWICH?

That was 4 days ago, and the caravan still isn't speaking to me.

Posted

The 850 temperature overlay on the nw radar suggests E Lothian is on the cusp of rising above -4ºC... That'll explain it snowyowl. The showers are dieing out down here though - pheww!

Are we likely to see temps falling later and cloud dissappearing because there is a definite onshore breeze in leith?

Posted

I got stuck in the snow on the way home the other night and had to sleep in the car. It was no fun, let me tell you - I was hungry, lonely and freezing. I barely slept a wink.

In the morning the snow had melted a bit and I was able to continue on my way. Having had such a sh*t night, I decided to go round to my girlfriend's house. When I got there I parked outside, looked up and saw her at her bedroom window. She looked so happy to see me. Suddenly I was overcome with emotion because I was so pleased to see her too. We've been together for three years so far and had some wonderful times. I know it may sound soppy and over-the-top but, at that moment in time, there was no-one else on Earth that I wanted to be with. She was the one.

I got out of the car and made my way towards her front door. The front lawn was a blanket of untouched snow and, with my girlfriend still watching me, an idea crossed my mind. Giddy with emotion, I stepped onto the lawn, got down on one knee and began to carve a message in the snow, letter by letter...

HANNAH, WILL YOU MA...

I looked up and could see her starting to breathe heavily, trying to smile as her eyes welled up with tears...

...KE ME A CUP OF TEA AND A SANDWICH?

That was 4 days ago, and the caravan still isn't speaking to me.

LMAO :acute:

Posted

Here's the wind chart for midnight John:

post-1217-12616856079213_thumb.png

The trend is for it become more westerly in its northerly orientation as the evening/night goes on. Although EDI's automatic weather station is already reporting a straight westerly of 3mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

12th March 2006, at midnight, as snow was beginning to fall across the west of Scotland and northwest England, uppers were above -5:

Rrea00220060312.gif

It continued to fall in most areas long after the -5 line had moved east of them, even when air temperatures had risen to around 4C, because the cold air at the surface had become so entrenched. Tomorrow night's uppers: post-9298-12616860927413_thumb.png

I think most places have a good chance of snow, particularly given the slight colder sector with -5 - -6 uppers moving northeast along with the band of precipitation. The 528 dam line is progged to be south of the central belt also, which is a good indicator of where snow will fall, so I think that most of what will fall will be snow. However, there is a second band of precipitation forecast for around 6pm on Boxing Day, and this is the band that concerns me most:

ukprec.pngUppers: h850t850eu.pngThicknesses:hgt500-1000.pngBear in mind that on the 6Z the 528 line was further south across the borders, so the situation is fluid, but there is a lot to be concerned about, especially from an easty's point of view. But really, if the only thing to be pessimistic about is the possibility of rain or sleet for 3 hours reducing the snowfall depths temporarily on the ground (hopefully the earlier snowfall would offset any melt that might occur later on!), then we really are looking at a pretty spectacular situation overall.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Here's the wind chart for midnight John:

post-1217-12616856079213_thumb.png

The trend is for it become more westerly in its northerly orientation as the evening/night goes on. Although EDI's automatic weather station is already reporting a straight westerly of 3mph.

Cheers Shuggee, Just getting a bit worried, here's hoping cloud disappears soon, can't remember snow like this near the sea in Edinburgh for a long time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Still spitting rain here in Leith (has been the last 3 hours or more).

Starting to impact street level ... roofs clearing, snow on cars going to mush, slushy pavements. Grassy areas still holding onto the snow readily so no danger of that going anytime soon. Actually feels the mildest it has for the best part of a week ... air is saturated and I guess its at least 1c ... although the airport hasn't gone above 0c yet so unlikely to be any general adverse Embra-wide impact from these last few (ahem) "warm" hours...

Just hope it stops soon and sky clears a bit so we can get at least a minor frost back on and halt the decline here.

Typical Leith, its that old nearer the sea, lower part of the city thing going on just now .... :drinks:

Edit: cloud lifting to the North-West and can see Fife shimmering away in the distance now. Good chance we'll at least manage a ground frost before the night is out.

Edited by by-tor

Posted

The odd flake of snow falling here, but nothing of note.

Just enough to give it the christmas feel.

Warmest it's been today though, currently -1.5'C.

I was out digging snow of the grans path in -6'C temperatures. The funny thing was the humidity levels were so low that it didn't feel that cold. And in fact for a while I was digging away in a t-shirt.

Posted

From that great bastion of news reporting, I give this gem today from the BBC:

Although the storm is severe, winter storms are not uncommon in the USA during the winter months

wtf?^^