Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 7

Methuselah

Posted

Are the showers in Aberdeenshire likely to become more snow later? It's been really frustrating the last two days with slightly higher temps and sleet showers...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

My feeling just now is that it depends how far inland you are. I think the whole east coast (right at the coast anyway) is under a slightly moderating influence just now, the fetch from the east seems pretty localised bringing in north sea sourced air. Right on the coast that makes things more marginal (I actually think Leith will do very well to get more than a degree or so below tonight). Further inland - and higher up - you'll see less of that effect.

I guess I could have summarised there by saying "I dunno". Good luck anyway !

Are the showers in Aberdeenshire likely to become more snow later? It's been really frustrating the last two days with slightly higher temps and sleet showers...

Posted

We are very marginal here too with sleet. Anyone know why this is......I guess because of the sea, and is it likely to cool at all???wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

We are very marginal here too with sleet. Anyone know why this is......I guess because of the sea, and is it likely to cool at all???wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Because the uppers are relatively high... :drinks:

Posted

With my Leith hat on , I'm hoping for the snizzle to pull to the east and the wind to back more to the north. In fact any direction that isn't down the ne/sw line of the estuary. At least to cut off any obvious flow from the sea. As long as we retain the surface cold - uppers or not - then I'll be happy.

Not worried too much, just want to consolidate in advance of any possible warming in the 24-26-48 hour timeframe.

Its not killing the lying snow here, just makes it all a bit less "idealistic" than I like it (if you know what I mean...)

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Here our first afternoon shower started off with large snowflakes but then turned to a mix of sleet, hail and RAIN. My weather station had a 1 mtr temperature of -3C.

The current shower started as ice pellets but has changed to small snowflakes and is dying out now. Currently -2C

Posted

Bit of a minor warming trend right on the east coast. Charterall, Berwick-on-tweed both over the 0 mark (not too surprising admittedly). Edinburgh Gogarbank also on the rise, also just under the 0 mark, warmest its been all day.

Minor anxiety that there could be some slight east coast mushing coming along for a while.

Posted

Well its been another ice day here with a max of -2c and currently - 6c. Really quite a memorable spell of cold especially in the pre Christmas period, something we have"nt seen in the last couple of decades. A few flurries this afternoon arrived from the east to freshen things up, certainly no mud on the farm which makes a huge change from the last few months.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

We are still below freezing here, so little chance of the intermittent showers we've had falling as anything other than snow. 10 miles inland makes all the difference with modified easterlies. Anyway, I'd assume the eastern coasts have a good chance on Boxing Day morning, with uppers and wind direction a bit better here. Western coasts will be more at risk, with a breeze from the sea, but being inland, slightly further east and sheltered is quite helpful in this situation.

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Today saw the 8th day in a row with snow falling and with lying snow at 0900hr- quite impressive! 8 days with snow falling equals the record set, 18-25th February 2005

At 0600hr, the temperature here was a balmy -0.1C with a near force 4 northerly breeze. Meanwhile, in Edinburgh, it was dead calm with freezing fog and -9C! Also, nearby Leuchars was -7C. Some temperature inversion!

0900-0900hr min temp, -3.0C around midnight. Edinburgh got down to -11C!!!

Snow depth at 0900hr, 12cm in garden and 10cm in field.

A wintry mix moved up from the south-east during the late morning. I was in Buckhaven, 30m asl. It started off as spots of rain but turned to wet snow and ice pellets. The snowflakes were transparent and re-frozen-ice pellets. They must have drifted through a 'warm layer' and partially melted before entering a freezing layer at the surface. The afternoon has seen more light sleety showers with a moderate north wind. Max temp since 0900hr, 2.7C- the warmest day for a week!

Current temp, 1.0C

rh, 94%

dewpoint T, 0C.

Edited by snow1975

Posted

Warmest it got today was -4c. Cloud came rolling in, but didn't do much. Odd flurry, temps rose and now it's sitting at -4c at the moment. Cloud should disappear soon so more extreme low temps for here hopefully!

Posted

Nope it's all showers on the east coast coming no further inland than earlier Madman.

Posted

Here's the 12Z netweather mesoscale model (NMM) output for Xmas night (tomorrow at midnight). BBC/Meto have the band of ppn pushing up from the southwest a little quicker than this output:

post-1217-12616746224713_thumb.png

post-1217-12616746368013_thumb.png

post-1217-12616747072913_thumb.png

Will be very interesting to see what falls out of the sky. Low surface temps and marginal uppers (as seen on the 850 middle chart). Hmmmm. :D

EDIT :cold: You a mind reader Mondy?

Posted

Got light snow here atm, its bn about -2 most of the day!!. Was up in Rankinston earlier (if you know where that is!) and there is about 9" of snow there, its had a wee bit of melting though, tbh, i expected more up there than what there was!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Had a shower of moderate sleety freezing rain, with temperatures around 0C. Rather hoping it just stops soon as I fear the prospect of snow melt! Luckily, the showers are mainly to the north and south of us, so hopefully we can catch a fairly dry evening with temperatures dropping a bit more.

LS

Posted

By the look of the radar we will be in for a few showers debatable whether they will be of rain or snow. I would guess rain by the coast, but stranger things have happened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

With my Leith hat on , I'm hoping for the snizzle to pull to the east and the wind to back more to the north. In fact any direction that isn't down the ne/sw line of the estuary. At least to cut off any obvious flow from the sea. As long as we retain the surface cold - uppers or not - then I'll be happy.

Not worried too much, just want to consolidate in advance of any possible warming in the 24-26-48 hour timeframe.

Its not killing the lying snow here, just makes it all a bit less "idealistic" than I like it (if you know what I mean...)

Just had a definite rain/sleet shower here and we're a wee bit back from the coast. aggghhh

Posted

The 850 temperature overlay on the nw radar suggests E Lothian is on the cusp of rising above -4ºC... That'll explain it snowyowl. The showers are dieing out down here though - pheww!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

The 850 temperature overlay on the nw radar suggests E Lothian is on the cusp of rising above -4ºC... That'll explain it snowyowl. The showers are dieing out down here though - pheww!

Thank goodness for that - thought we were on the brink of losing all the lovely snow we've had yesterday and today!!