Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 7

Methuselah

However, an example of them maybe focusing on what is happening elsewhere was yesterday on radio 5 live when Philip Avery confidently said that "much milder conditions speading in for Christmas with no White Christmas - grey for all". I was thinking "I dont think so".

They grey for all line must have been passed around as one of the forecasts on the TV had something along those lines, maybe even as a caption on the backdrop?

Could still be a very white Xmas in many different ways right across vast areas of Scotland. This one will be talked about for many, many years to come. Xmas '09 :) :) :) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Regarding Phil Avery's 5 Live comment, it goes further than "nothing exists north of the Clyde", more like "nothing exists north of Watford". A large part of northern England, excluding some coastal areas, will have a fair snow cover left for Christmas Day.

I think what I really mean CMD is that when NW and/or other weather boards issue warnings, a little more specific than "Scotland" would be helpful :-)

:)

I haven't had any fresh air yet today and it seems to be affecting me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Its showery Gilly. Moderate for a few minutes ... then stops.

Not really adding anything here in Leith but in the higher parts of town/suburbs I believe they've had a centimtetre+

Net effect here is just to cover up any brown snow on the roads and pavements, the lightest of coverings.

Mostly just making the day feel very seasonal !

This would pass for an unremarkable bog-standard winter day in Oslo or Helsinki ... for us, every passing hour is special !

Hi by-tor, Are you still getting heavy snow in Edinburgh?

Posted

I find it hard to believe that the MetO and BBC have found it difficult this week, if we put things into perspective...like the fact that its their JOB, then we can only assume that there are either a lot of incompetant people or they have far too many variables in the mix to make it accurate. I honestly think the MetO and BBC should browse NW before any word of sever weather. NW has never let me down with any major weather event.

Posted

Certainly more chance of them copping it I'd think. On the other hand they stick out a bit into the estuary/North Sea and could be locally warmed a little by any onshore flow. Although not expecting that to play a big part today, the flow seems very slack. The snow showers we've had today have come from cloud carried from the east ... but the snow has mostly fallen gently and very vertically ... no real wind/blowing about to spoil the cold too much.

Haddington, North Berwick etc must be getting pasted

Posted

Glad you are all getting snow, We will definatly have a white christmas, 7 1/2inches of snow here and everything is still covered....Still very cold as well but not as cold as Scotland is! Merry Christmas everybody except CMD :) haha .....where of course i mean merry christmas to him and his family . :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Now snowing :)

Just caught a News 24 weather forecast and they are predicting (ahem!) 10cms for the central belt tomorrow tea-time. Any thoughts? Snow grains a plenty at the moment. :)

Posted

I'm sticking with NetWeather and some people who are very adept at Scottish/local local forecasting. That and checking the radar, and looking out of the window will do me for the coming days !

local kno

Just caught a News 24 weather forecast and they are predicting (ahem!) 10cms for the central belt tomorrow tea-time. Any thoughts? Snow grains a plenty at the moment. :)

Posted

now stopped :)

Just caught a News 24 weather forecast and they are predicting (ahem!) 10cms for the central belt tomorrow tea-time. Any thoughts? Snow grains a plenty at the moment. smile.gif

Lets hope my mother can get home then, one day with her is good, over-night and were talking banging head off wall!wallbash.gif

Posted

Sorry dunno if this has been mentioned already.

Heavy SnowFri 25 DecThere is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of Central and Western Scotland on Friday evening and night.

Snow spreading from the southwest during the evening is likely to give falls of up to 10cm in places.

Issued at: 1027 Thu 24 Dec

Interesting... :)

Posted

Things might change but I'm nort expecting much from this feature. We're all spoiled rotten now !

Currently we have what looked like fine drizzle but the "window ledge test" (plus my reading glasses) reveals them to be tiny individual snow-crystals.

We've had every type of snow this past week, this is just another type to add to the list !

Posted

Current lowest;

Temp.

Altnaharra (80 m) -13.7°

Loch Glascanoch (264 m) -12.9°

Aviemore (228 m) -11.7°

Tulloch Bridge (236 m) -10.8°

Strathallan (35 m) -8.6°

Castlederg (50 m) -8.1°

Glasgow Bishopton (59 m) -7.1°

Glasgow AP (8 m) -7°

St Angelo (47 m) -6.7°

Ballykelly (5 m) -6.2°

Cairngorm Mtns (1245 m) -5.1°

Inverness/Dalcross (9 m) -5°

Eglinton AP (9 m) -5°

Dundee/Riverside (4 m) -5°

Tain Range (4 m) -4.9°

Portglenone (65 m) -4.7°

Skye/Lusa (18 m) -4.4°

Kinloss (5 m) -4.1°

Edinburgh AP (41 m) -4°

Belfast/Harbour (5 m) -4°

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Lets hope my mother can get home then, one day with her is good, over-night and were talking banging head off wall!wallbash.gif

:) You'll cope! :good: Still snowing lightly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I agree, Monders...You'd be forgiven for believing that Scotland was the size of a postage-stamp after listening to all that twaddle!

It reminds of the time my friend from Londinium 'phoned-up to ask me if I'd been hurt in the Lockerbie Aircrash...the media have a lot to answer for! :)

Posted

I'm wondering how Scotrail will be coping - was ok this morning on the commute up to Dundee, but I do have to get home again... Looking at the live departure boards online at Waverley it's looking erm not good...

First ppn approaching Dundee. I'm glued to the window lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Things might change but I'm nort expecting much from this feature. We're all spoiled rotten now !

Currently we have what looked like fine drizzle but the "window ledge test" (plus my reading glasses) reveals them to be tiny individual snow-crystals.

We've had every type of snow this past week, this is just another type to add to the list !

:) I was going to mention that one, yesterday...Aren't we a bunch of anoraks!!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Snowing here in Livingston.

Its not heavy just a steady fine falling, if you can imagine an overcast day when there is a fine drizzle in the air as opposed to rain - its as if this is the water type except its frozen and falling in the tiniest flakes.