Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 7

Methuselah

Posted

I'm back in N. Ireland for Christmas, does anyone know if Dundee had snow today? I see much of E Scotland is under a severe weather warning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Temperatures now 1.9C here, though I'm a bit dubious as another station in Freuchie is recording 0.3C. The main thing is it's dry, though, and the cloud is beginning to clear. Hopefully temperatures tonight will drop below freezing, though the snow melt seems to be less extensive than in Leith, with only the roofs and cars losing a little snow during the day. Merry Christmas one and all: I expect it will be white on the ground for most parts, and the chance of a technical white christmas at the end of the day across southwestern parts. 18Z shows the band struggling to get north of Edinburgh, however the next band hits with the thicknesses below 528 dam and with dew points below freezing in most places, so the precipitation would be snow in most places. I'm sure things will change slightly over the next 24 hours before the band actually hits, and one run decides very little, but it is just another possible outcome of Boxing Day. All models are agreed on the 27th onwards bringing firstly a northerly then an easterly from an atlantic low tracking well to the south of here.

In summation, looking good for a reload of the cold after an atlantic incursion on Boxing Day.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!!

LS

I'm back in N. Ireland for Christmas, does anyone know if Dundee had snow today? I see much of E Scotland is under a severe weather warning.

Not much really, just a few flurries with some sleetiness later on. Possibly more on Saturday though.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Cheers LS, my nearest official weather station here in N.I recorded -8.8c at 9pm, Only Altnaharra is recording a lower temperature! There's 4 inches of snow on the ground and a freezing fog, the Snow is incredibly hard, terrific winter scenes!

On my journey from Dundee to Prestwick today, which is 100+ miles, Everywhere had snow basically. Dundee and Perth had similar amounts of 4+ inches approx and this was the case until just North of Stirling where there wasn't much at all, not even an inch. Just south of Stirling the amounts were probably 5 inches or more and into Glasgow city there was a decent amount. 15 miles West of Glasgow provided some stunning scenery with at least 6 inches of snow I'd say. Kilmarnock had an ok fall and further west from here the snow amounts reduced with Prestwick basically having nothing.

Then when I flew across the North of N Ireland.The snow could be seen as far as the eye could see all over the province with the far North coast showing more green than white.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip today and don't think I turned away for a moment from looking out the window of the bus and plane!

Edited by Sawel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Merry Xmas to yourself LS and to all others on the Scottish thread. Been a fascinating few days and looks like another week or two of high interest to come.

Edit: not too shabby here in Leith as it turns out, patchy rain stopped an hour or so ago and any snow hit is pretty much from the tenement roofs and cars. Most pavements still snow covered and 8 to 10 cms of claggy dense snow still on the grassy areas, nothing that a decent ground frost won't patch up tonight ! Up town, Princes Street Gardens etc its all still in excellent nick, so the tourists will still get their winter wonderland :aggressive:

Temperatures now 1.9C here, though I'm a bit dubious as another station in Freuchie is recording 0.3C. The main thing is it's dry, though, and the cloud is beginning to clear. Hopefully temperatures tonight will drop below freezing, though the snow melt seems to be less extensive than in Leith, with only the roofs and cars losing a little snow during the day. Merry Christmas one and all: I expect it will be white on the ground for most parts, and the chance of a technical white christmas at the end of the day across southwestern parts. 18Z shows the band struggling to get north of Edinburgh, however the next band hits with the thicknesses below 528 dam and with dew points below freezing in most places, so the precipitation would be snow in most places. I'm sure things will change slightly over the next 24 hours before the band actually hits, and one run decides very little, but it is just another possible outcome of Boxing Day. All models are agreed on the 27th onwards bringing firstly a northerly then an easterly from an atlantic low tracking well to the south of here.

In summation, looking good for a reload of the cold after an atlantic incursion on Boxing Day.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!!

LS

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Merry Xmas to yourself LS and to all others on the Scottish thread. Been a fascinating few days and looks like another week or two of high interest to come.

Edit: not too shabby here in Leith as it turns out, patchy rain stopped an hour or so ago and any snow hit is pretty much from the tenement roofs and cars. Most pavements still snow covered and 8 to 10 cms of claggy dense snow still on the grassy areas, nothing that a decent ground frost won't patch up tonight ! Up town, Princes Street Gardens etc its all still in excellent nick, so the tourists will still get their winter wonderland laugh.gif

Brilliant, I think I'm heading there on Boxing Day or the 27th with my aunt. Just hope it stays intact!!

LS

Posted

I'm starting not to fancy our chances for tomorrow's "snow". Just getting the heeby-jeebies about it :lol:

Plenty time yet - cousins in NI will let us know how things pan out - they are below freezing over there too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Merry Christmas to everyone on the Scottish Thread. Have a great day tomorrow!

See you soon, hopefully with our snow still intact and with a little more to top things up.

Night.

Plenty time yet - cousins in NI will let us know how things pan out - they are below freezing over there too.

Weird thing is that my most local weather station Glasgow Bishopton hit the heady heights of -0.8C at 10pm, although Glasgow Airport is still way down at -6C.

And this (and I know I don't need to tell you what this is!!):

TAF EGPF 242300Z 2500/2524 VRB05KT 4000 BR SCT020 PROB40 2500/2512

1400 BR BKN006 PROB30 TEMPO 2500/2509 0400 FZFG VV/// PROB30

TEMPO 2521/2524 6000 -SHRA BKN010 =

It will be what it will be. The good news is that Santa has already been here, and seems to have left a vast array of presents for BoyCatch and ToddlerCatch :D Ultimately what is more important?? :) :) :) :) :) :)

Merry Xmas Mondy, and everyone else on this (and other) threads!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Evening all. Been out and about the last few days and have seen some amazing snow depths around here. I don't remember this since around xmas '95, even then it wasn't quite like this at low level. Like Mondy and many others though, I've been gobsmacked by the uselessness of MO forecasts. Merry Xmas!

Posted

Weird thing is that my most local weather station Glasgow Bishopton hit the heady heights of -0.8C at 10pm, although Glasgow Airport is still way down at -6C.

And this (and I know I don't need to tell you what this is!!):

TAF EGPF 242300Z 2500/2524 VRB05KT 4000 BR SCT020 PROB40 2500/2512

1400 BR BKN006 PROB30 TEMPO 2500/2509 0400 FZFG VV/// PROB30

TEMPO 2521/2524 6000 -SHRA BKN010 =

It will be what it will be. The good news is that Santa has already been here, and seems to have left a vast array of presents for BoyCatch and ToddlerCatch :D Ultimately what is more important?? :) :) :) :) :) :)

Merry Xmas Mondy, and everyone else on this (and other) threads!!!

yeah could be a mad one tomorrow so many propisitions that could happen tomorrow just need to wait and see what happens eh, but at 700feet asl should help my cause shall see but:) Cheers

Scott

I don't remember this since around xmas '95,

Funny you say this, but do you know what I saw today for only the second time in my life (the first being in Dec 95)? Well, it has been weird ice crystal towers growing out of the snow to a height of about 7-10mm. As if the snow has been evaporating and then freezing again instantly to build up elongated snow flake type columns. I tried to get photos of it but my camera and I just could not do it.

Edit: Waw!!! What a photo, where is that? And how did you capture it??? I take it you have a good camera, and not the pish I am stuck with? :)

yeah could be a mad one tomorrow so many propisitions that could happen tomorrow just need to wait and see what happens eh, but at 700feet asl should help my cause shall see but:) Cheers

Scott

I think you'll be fine Scott, another 10cm for you tomorrow night :D

I'm just starting to feel like a total jinx, every time something comes up it all goes the shape of the pear. I will, however, make sure I say nothing to my wee boy this time round as he was well hacked off with me when I promised plenty of snow last week and all we got was a dusting :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Funny you say this, but do you know what I saw today for only the second time in my life (the first being in Dec 95)? Well, it has been weird ice crystal towers growing out of the snow to a height of about 7-10mm. As if the snow has been evaporating and then freezing again instantly to build up elongated snow flake type columns. I tried to get photos of it but my camera and I just could not do it.

I think you'll be fine Scott, another 10cm for you tomorrow night :D

I'm just starting to feel like a total jinx, every time something comes up it all goes the shape of the pear. I will, however, make sure I say nothing to my wee boy this time round as he was well hacked off with me when I promised plenty of snow last week and all we got was a dusting :)

I've seen these too, you get them when the temp's stayed sub-zero for a long time, days rather than hours I think. Saw them a few years ago when I was working on a windfarm at about 600m through a long snowy cold spell. Baltic.

Snow photography is so difficult, exposure is a mug's game. Over-expose?

I've seen these too, you get them when the temp's stayed sub-zero for a long time, days rather than hours I think. Saw them a few years ago when I was working on a windfarm at about 600m through a long snowy cold spell. Baltic.

Snow photography is so difficult, exposure is a mug's game. Over-expose?

My problem is a 5 year old 3.1M pixel Kodak camera which was slightly bargain bucket when bought...:lol:

I have seen so many gorgeous "pictures" in the last week, and few, if any of them, have come out.

Posted

My problem is a 5 year old 3.1M pixel Kodak camera which was slightly bargain bucket when bought...:lol:

I have seen so many gorgeous "pictures" in the last week, and few, if any of them, have come out.

Did you send Santa a nice reminder? Leave him a dram and see what happens eh? Ho ho ho. Have a good one and take care. :lol: :):)

Posted

Evening all. Been out and about the last few days and have seen some amazing snow depths around here. I don't remember this since around xmas '95, even then it wasn't quite like this at low level. Like Mondy and many others though, I've been gobsmacked by the uselessness of MO forecasts. Merry Xmas!

That has to be the most impressive photo I have ever seen on this forum. Thanks ever so much for sharing this.

Merry Xmas to you all.

Merry Xmas 'all :-)

I see my model thread post (deserved slating of MetO) got deleted/moved without reason :lol: Probably wrong area...

Ciao

Don't tell me you put it in Inverclyde and it unexpectedly turned up in Aberdeenshire???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Nollaig chridheil agus Bliadhna mhath ùr!!!

Merry Christmas and a happy new year!! :clap: