Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted

Bactrack I was just going ask are you seeing any precip? These showers are very isolated at the moment. It skirted to my north and hit Ditton and Farnworth, still clear here for the moment but I am expecting it to cloud back up. Temp down to 0.2C dp down to -4.1C Just hoping we stay clear of the cloud for another hour or two, which will allow temps to slip beyond freezing..a friend in s liverpool told me he is recording a similar temp and as experienced temp drops under light to moderate cloud. That to me is rather encouraging

I am assuming that Cheshire have plenty as they were doing the pavements and sideroads today which makes a change

Our roads where done today well some of them anyway, rural roads where not treated.

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Current temp here 0.7c with a dp of -0.2c

Almost exactly the same as earlier when it snowed a little, so here's hoping :lol:

Edit: the light snow brought it down to -0.3c at the time.

Edited by chrisbooth0070

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Bactrack I was just going ask are you seeing any precip? These showers are very isolated at the moment. It skirted to my north and hit Ditton and Farnworth, still clear here for the moment but I am expecting it to cloud back up. Temp down to 0.2C dp down to -4.1C Just hoping we stay clear of the cloud for another hour or two, which will allow temps to slip beyond freezing..a friend in s liverpool told me he is recording a similar temp and as experienced temp drops under light to moderate cloud. That to me is rather encouraging

Our roads where done today well some of them anyway, rural roads where not treated.

Not seen any precip today at all.

0.9c here now... It's funny how you are consistently recording lower temps than me, even during this Westerly, i would of thought the irish sea would of influenced your temps more than mine.

0.8c here now actually.

Posted

Current temp here 0.7c with a dp of -0.2c

Almost exactly the same as earlier when it snowed a little, so here's hoping :lol:

I hope your dp drops, thats pretty marginal to me.

Posted

Clear sky at the moment. Hoping one of these streamers off the Irish sea is going to hit soon.

Posted

Not seen any precip today at all.

0.9c here now... It's funny how you are consistently recording lower temps than me, even during this Westerly, i would of thought the irish sea would of influenced your temps more than mine.

0.8c here now actually.

The irish sea hasn't really had any major impact this far inland, not sure what its like out on the coast, but if anything the fact Blackpool has reported sleet and snow in far warmer conditions bodes well for us. It's also more to do with the fact that our winds are more nnw rather than straight w which they where before...also clear skies help tremendously...however if you go down to south liverpool just across the water from you, they are showing the same thing. They have a much lower temp and dp than yourself...its almos strange they are similar to my recordings because they are usually always slightly warmer..just goes to show what a nnw wind can do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Oh dear, temps rapidly rising it's now 2.4c <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

After a very cold start this morning it hasn't risen above -2.5°C, currently -2.9°C and cloudy but I expect it may rise later on, I'm hoping it won't get above freezing though.

thanks for that james. i don't have to start the car to look at the temp now. my sons school is closed today, so more winter fun. however, buses are still running to huddersfield (which amazes me) which means my daughter has had to go to college :(

I had to go to college today too :( lol, hopefully we're going to get quite a bit of snow tonight though!

Now you mention it i just moved it a little and temp instantly changed to 0.2c very strange indeed. ;)

Edit - Good god its dropping into the minus's quickly now currently -0.3. Stupid ALDI special weather station <_<

I've always thought your temp was inaccurate, whereabouts is your sensor? Did you say you lived in a block of flats? I think that would explain it, with all the heat from building. Ideally you need it nowhere near sources of heat like buildings/conctrete etc and around 2m off the ground.

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

right, we're all staring at screens and lamp posts, so lets play a little game lol

I'm going to post my (simple ) league table of total annual snowfall - you have to copy my table then add your location into the league table - obviously optimists will stick it higher (ooo err) and pessimists lower . And then the next person copies your table etc etc

well - something to do til the snow arrives lol

my table

Saddleworth

Rochdale

Douglas

there you go - nice and easy to copy and add to lol

enjoy <_<

Posted

I hope your dp drops, thats pretty marginal to me.

Yes it is a bit. Was very marginal before though - where I work is 50m higher and it was raining <_<

Posted

Something just started here, moderate sleety mix. Temp 0.7 DP -1.7

edited dp to -1.7 not 1.7

Edited by sconetone

Posted

right, we're all staring at screens and lamp posts, so lets play a little game lol

I'm going to post my (simple ) league table of total annual snowfall - you have to copy my table then add your location into the league table - obviously optimists will stick it higher (ooo err) and pessimists lower . And then the next person copies your table etc etc

my table

Saddleworth

Rochdale

Douglas

enjoy :(

Stick Wythenshawe on the lower end of the scale <_<

although to be fair, we've not done badly out of this cold spell at all, must be into nearly the 3rd week of lying snow/ice (although only slight patches were left before Saturday morning)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

my table

Saddleworth

Rochdale

Douglas

enjoy <_<

lol well I don't need to now lol! I think Saddleworth is one of the best places for snow in the NW, we do well from E'rlys even when most of the region doesn't, we can catch showers from NE'rlys too, N'rlys can be good because of our height if there are any troughs or fronts coming down and we seem ideally placed for streamers in NW'erly!

Saddleworth

Rochdale

Douglas

Edited by James M

Posted

Yes it is a bit. Was very marginal before though - where I work is 50m higher and it was raining <_<

Its been a remarkably clear and beautiful frosty day until around lunchtime then temps took off insanely lol..maxed out 4.1C and its take much of this afternoon to drop back to to -0.7C dp is down to -4.2C I am really concerned with the current temp and really need it to drop off.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

blum.gif you're all meant to copy the table and make the changes

it really is meant to be a bit of silly nonsense whilst we're all praying the gods of snow lolololol

Posted

Its been a remarkably clear and beautiful frosty day until around lunchtime then temps took off insanely lol..maxed out 4.1C and its take much of this afternoon to drop back to to -0.7C dp is down to -4.2C I am really concerned with the current temp and really need it to drop off.

My dp is on the increase now and is above 0c - oh dear :whistling:

Posted

There you go, I've added Bacup under Saddleworth, probably about the same - 5 inches fell in 3 hours on Saturday topping up what was left.

Saddleworth

Bacup

Rochdale

Douglas

Wythenshawe

Shadowfax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Moderate rain shower just passed through penwortham on the south side of preston, no hint of sleet on the car windscreen just cold miserable rain :whistling:

Posted

Well temps hovering just above 0c here. Earlier snow shower followed by a rain shower that have now left frozen footpaths even with cloud cover. Looks like we may get a little snow tomorrow after initial rain. :whistling:

Posted

Saddleworth

Bacup

Rochdale

Douglas

Wythenshawe

Chorlton / South Manchester

Chorlton 'bout same as Wythenshawe I reckon, covering left from Saturday, plenty of ice about and remains of pre-Christmas Snowmen randomly dotted around.

Edited by Bartlett Low