Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

I believe it's similar - 4mm is anywhere between 2 to 4cm of snow. So that'll work out at about 1 to 2 inches! pardon.gif

ah cool! so it works out the same! (basically a factor of 10) Yay!! 4cm of snow is more than I've had all winter put together hahahaha!! lets hope it pans out for us midlanders this week, as I know we have been gyp'd on snow amounts quite badly so far, although Im not complaining, seeing that the past 5 winters have sucked for Nottingham snow-wise, albeit cold last year. This year is the best I've experienced here so far for being cold and wintry biggrin.gif BRING ON THE SNOW!!! lol!!

Posted

ah cool! so it works out the same! (basically a factor of 10) Yay!! 4cm of snow is more than I've had all winter put together hahahaha!! lets hope it pans out for us midlanders this week, as I know we have been gyp'd on snow amounts quite badly so far, although Im not complaining, seeing that the past 5 winters have sucked for Nottingham snow-wise, albeit cold last year. This year is the best I've experienced here so far for being cold and wintry biggrin.gif BRING ON THE SNOW!!! lol!!

Which part of Notts are you from? I work up near Annesley, was really surprised to see an inch of snow still lying in the car park!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Which part of Notts are you from? I work up near Annesley, was really surprised to see an inch of snow still lying in the car park!

I live in Carrington, next to Sherwood, so the north side (before Arnold) Its weird, I take my dog for a walk every morning, and walked up toward Arnold about 1/2 mile or so, and there is a park there. There is about a 3/4" of snow there! But at my house, we have ice pretty much because when the snow fell the other day, its was so wet, that it actually melted into a slushy mess and we ended up having less snow after an hour of huge £2 coin sized flakes, than we did in the morning before it snowed! I reckon we would have had quite a bit accumalation if it wasnt so wet. This was Sat nights snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

Is there a band tonight and then another tomorrow or just tomorrow cause I'm getting all confussed!

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Anybody remember the snow in January 2003? Wasn't that a similar setup to this one...? can't remember the exact date else I would have a look at the charts. I recall that starting as rain and turning quickly to snow and giving us a good dumping!

Posted

Laura Tobin going for 5-10 cm for N.Midlands

When's this?

Where specifically?

What about Shrops?

Thanks

Is there a band tonight and then another tomorrow or just tomorrow cause I'm getting all confussed!

I believe there is a band in the very early hours, then another in the early evening

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

Thanks! I think we will do better than what the non warning suggests! But I'm on nights so

will be keeping check all night!

Posted

When's this?

Where specifically?

What about Shrops?

Thanks

I believe there is a band in the very early hours, then another in the early evening

I dont know..she just said North Midlands..then it will push south on to me :unsure:

Hopefully whatever you lot get I will have a good idea at my chances.

As Im classed as the Southern Midlands and North SouthWest....blame the Met they cant make up there minds!!

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Yeah thats the current idea being suggested by the models, the seocnd band is rather uncertain however it has to be said, though in general it looks stronger then the first system for at least southern parts of the Midlands but as I said there is too much uncertainty with the evolution as its quite a complex set-up, as they usually are when you have developing lows.

Posted

Headline:

Band of sleet and snow moving south.

This Evening and Tonight:

Band of sleet and snow moving south to southwest England, Wales, the Midlands and eastern England by the end of the night, with heavy snow showers following to Northern Ireland and north and east Scotland. Frosty in the southeast.

Tuesday:

Outbreaks of sleet and snow are expected to move slowly down into much of southern England through the day, and with some further snow affecting many northern and central parts.

Updated: 1427 on Mon 4 Jan 2010

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

nice upgradeclap.gif

Posted

This is from the local weather station.

GENERAL SITUATION ACROSS THE UK

A stream of cold Arctic air continues to make it way southwards towards the UK on the eastern edge of the Greenland High, now very much the controlling pressure system in the charts. As low pressure develops over Denmark and drives frontal systems in across the UK there is potential for heavy snow in the next few days, especially across eastern areas.

FORECAST FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE

So the new working week has started bitterly cold across Northamptonshire. Temperatures are well below freezing across the county and will struggle to top 1C this afternoon. Nevertheless, it will be a dry day free of any snow worries and there will be a good deal of sunshine. However, as last night, clear skies this evening will see temperatures tumble and another sharp and penetrating frost is expected as lows sink to -5C. Winds throughout the day will remain light and northerly.

OUTLOOK

The bitterly cold theme will continue tomorrow. We are likely to see fairly frequent snow showers across Northamptonshire, particularly on the higher ground, but accumulations will be light. Again temperatures will struggle to reach 1C, falling overnight to -3C. The wind will continue as a light northerly, perhaps veering more north-easterly later. Some heavier spells of snow are expected overnight. Wednesday itself should remain dry and free of snow showers, although there could be a thin accumulation on the ground from overnight and with temperatures during the daytime struggling to get above freezing this will remain. Another hard frost will follow overnight into Thursday with lows falling to -5C. Further snow showers, mainly light, are expected during the daytime on Thursday.

Looks like we could be getting ( a thin accumalation on the ground) nea.giflaugh.gif

Posted

:wallbash: OK. Give the METO some time to update the maps :)

Situation as I see it, seems to have developed to some degree (hence my prior posts about patience, things can change (in both directions, mind)).

So we have a band developing for tonight/tomorrow morning, followed by another band tomorrow evening.

To be fair, the forecasts are all over the place. Some go for a stronger first band, some for a stronger second band.

Overall as well, there is a forecast for anything from rain to snow, for both bands.

It really is a going to be a close call, so eyes down, and keep watching.

Posted

Advisorys dont get updated after midday... if situation proves that there will be snow in the midlands then flash warnings will be given about 3-4 hours prior to the event.

Posted
Posted
Precip has been taken up a notch on the latest GFS run! Seems that during tomorrow late afternoon to early evening we could be seeing some heavy snowfall at times. I'm now waiting for the UKMO to roll out to see if this front will provide more than first thought!

It certainly has, 24hrs of quite heavy snow for the midlands.

Posted

post-6740-12626198400013_thumb.png

Id take that, i remember saying that about yesterdays 12z only for the 18, 00 and 06 to bring me crashing bk down to earth. The closer it becomes the more likely though. Although with things like this small changes will make a big difference for some areas.