Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Thanks for the very prompt reply Nick!

So it`s very much game on then ! :cray:

Well it is more of a south west Midlands event, but anywhere south of Birmingham should do well. Wouldn't be surprised to see 10-15cm in the Northampton area, but this is subject to a great deal of change.

How much, by wednesday night are we looking for

shropshire

stafford

birmingham area

2-5cm I would have thought.

Posted

http://www.metcheck....zipcode=ox156dq

Metcheck have ramped it up, esp' early hours of Wednesday morning.

They are based directly on the GFS runs I think, so whatever the GFS spews out, that's what goes into the Metcheck forecasts. Metcheck themselves have very little if anything to do with what those forecasts show.

Posted

Well it is more of a south west Midlands event, but anywhere south of Birmingham should do well. Wouldn't be surprised to see 10-15cm in the Northampton area, but this is subject to a great deal of change.

2-5cm I would have thought.

That`s fair enough Nick, i know it`s very hard to give actual figures just wanted a good idea of what Northampton will (maybe) be getting. Thanks

Posted

Back to the here and now, is there something of a streamer trying to st up through the cheshire gap?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Posted

Dunno about winding up the SE, im still down for virtually nowt.

I always said we were in the worst place in the country for snow.

I'll have to wait and see, but im not excited a bit

What's the problem? The latest GFS would deliver at least 5cm of snow to your locale by the end of tomorrow.

Posted

Back to the here and now, is there something of a streamer trying to st up through the cheshire gap?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Yes should see a stream of showers forming in the next few hours, the ones of the radar now will probably head east of Birmingham then die out as they head towards London.

Hopefully will get some form further west..

Posted

They are based directly on the GFS runs I think, so whatever the GFS spews out, that's what goes into the Metcheck forecasts. Metcheck themselves have very little if anything to do with what those forecasts show.

That's why I like metcheck, people criticise them but all they do is illustrate the GFS runs which is fine in the short term.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

:p :o :o :p :o :o:(

Don't rub it in.

Actually i would of thought you would see some rather good snowfall too. :D

Posted

how much snow can we expect in coventry? metcheck and net weather local forecast showing heavy snow for tuesday/wednesday but the TWO showing nothing at all!

Posted

That`s fair enough Nick, i know it`s very hard to give actual figures just wanted a good idea of what Northampton will (maybe) be getting. Thanks

The main event for us Frank is likely to be Wednesday. Both the UKMO and GFS are in good agreement on some moderate to heavy spells of snow affecting the county, particularly during the mid to late morning period, and these are likely to become prolonged and last for much of the day. :lol:

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted

The main event for us Frank is likely to be Wednesday. Both the UKMO and GFS are in good agreement on some moderate to heavy spells of snow affecting the county, particularly during the mid to late morning period, and this is likely to be prolonged and last for much of the day. cold.gif

If this goes'' belly up'' my kids will never speak to me again.diablo.gif

Posted

Yes should see a stream of showers forming in the next few hours, the ones of the radar now will probably head east of Birmingham then die out as they head towards London.

Hopefully will get some form further west..

I mentioned this earlier , I have to disagree on the Showers dying out to much , Everything that hit's the midlands is conductive to pep up currently. This line of showers that is currently forming like the other day was not programmed on the models so this is all good. The warm sector over the Irish sea is probably causing these showers to develop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

6.30 weather dan corbett looked great, snow most of tomorrow, but maybe not wednesday but could change

Posted

6.30 weather dan corbett looked great, snow most of tomorrow, but maybe not wednesday but could change

Amazing how quickly a forecast can change in just 6 hours or so!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

OMG lol pls tell me every1 just saw the bbc forecast . Snowy day for the midlands ! Then it crept right back on us during the evening !?? One word

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPGRADE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

LOL

Posted

Just watched the Central News, and completely different forecast. Snow tonight, clearing tomorrow morning, with a further band of snow tomorrow evening moving s/e (i.e from the n/w)?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

OMFG...how can you not get excited by Dan Corbett's forecast just for tomorrow. 20-25cm !!! I know that was directed further south, but how long does the snow sit and pivot over central midlands !!!

Posted

Just seen the BBC weather with Daniel Corbett, and it looks like a lot of snow over Birmingham and down the M40 especially in the afternoon tomorrow.

Big ramp i would say.

Some places would have over 30cm, not saying that Birmingham will but somewhere in central England it seemed he was saying.

A snowfest for my area it seems.

Edited by xanadu

Posted

Didn't like the BBC 6:30 forecast as if you looked carefully at where the band of snow was on Wednesday it looks as if they are going with the NAE model which has the main area of snow south and west of Northants. Note how Dan mentioned the risk particularly for Southern England rather than the Midlands per se.

Trust the BBC to put a downer on things, but hopefully the GFS & UKMO will stick to their guns and they will extend the snowline in future forecasts.