Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Jan Wynne appeared on BBC News shortly before 8pm with his take on proceedings. Now here's what I found confusing.

The last hourly frame we were shown was Wednesday 08:00 which showed the area of heavy snow beginning to decay over Somerset/Dorset/Wiltshire/Hampshire and drier to the north and east. The very next frame showed the general picture for Wednesday which had a band of snow extending from Noroflk to Lincs on the northern flank right down through Cambs, Northants and the home counties into Oxfordshire with lighter snow showers elsewhere.

How on earth do we get from A to B? Jan did not really explain so I'm utterly lost. :help:

Posted

I've just watched the South Today forecast (watched the one on EMT on TV earlier) and it's very much a case of what I could have won. 20cm accumulations over Dorset? WHY NOW? OK, it's not looking too bad for Nottingham, but I could have stayed home. And got snowed in. :help:

This is even worse than a Nottingham sized hairdryer...or Andy's quiche...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Andy you have to smile at Sara Blizzards latest forecast here http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/341 Leicester is in for the heaviest falls in the Midlands according to her .. the graphics are great to.

That forecast looks awesome :help: Hope it's an interesting day tomorrow! Certainly going to be following the radar quite a lot me thinks lol.

Posted

I think we will get more than a Dusting. further west you are in the county the better.

Looks like Peterborough is only in for a dusting :help:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Once again a clump of showers has formed over the Irish Sea with an unfavourable wind direction to push them through the Cheshire Gap, that has happened so many times this winter.

Posted

Evening all.

What do you reckon on the chances of the cluster of showers over Manchester hitting Notts/Leicester.

With the current projectory there's a chance if they don't die out.

Edited by frozencamel

Posted

Whats happening with the radar ???????????????

Band of precip in between leicester and Northants.

I'm getting more and more confusedblink.gif

look?????

post-9498-12626368974413_thumb.png

Posted

look?????

Anaprop, just something interfering with the radar.

Really is bad this evening.

Posted

look?????

anaprop

Posted

Once again a clump of showers has formed over the Irish Sea with an unfavourable wind direction to push them through the Cheshire Gap, that has happened so many times this winter.

Not sure Nick, the showers seem pretty much split in 2, snow over Manchester with rain/sleet over Liverpool, the Manchester snow does look to be headed East over toward Notts/Leics but the Liverpool rain looks to be headed right toward you and should turn readily to snow as it moves in, if the showers survive that long that is....

Posted

It's an anaprop.

I think really the heaviest snowfall between Tuesday and Thursday is going to be around central southern counties up to the southern Midlands, particuarly the east. Can only hope that the snow tomorrow late afternoon-early evening is heavy enough to leave a substantial amount on the ground. To me, when the snowband wraps around the Low, then the west Midlands won't really feel the effects of it if the UKMO and FAX are right. This is why the Met Office have left the west Midlands out of the warnings for Wednesday.

If we do get further heavy snow on Wednesday for here, then I'll shall count that as a bonus.

so why are beeb not going with northants getting hardly anything????

Posted

It's an anaprop.

I think really the heaviest snowfall between Tuesday and Thursday is going to be around central southern counties up to the southern Midlands, particuarly the east. Can only hope that the snow tomorrow late afternoon-early evening is heavy enough to leave a substantial amount on the ground. To me, when the snowband wraps around the Low, then the west Midlands won't really feel the effects of it if the UKMO and FAX are right. This is why the Met Office have left the west Midlands out of the warnings for Wednesday.

If we do get further heavy snow on Wednesday for here, then I'll shall count that as a bonus.

Its the 6:30 forecast that has got my head in a spinwacko.gif showed brum under the heavy snow a while longer it did Northampton. then it fizzled for my area (still over you) then moved SW. 8pm fORECAST showed snow over Northants, Cambs and Norfolk. how ???????????

I think The Meto are still not sure !!!

Edited by Lancs_Northants

Posted

It's an anaprop.

But the UKMO obviously favour the NAE over their own model output otherwise the BBC forecasts would be very different. The west Mids particularly Gloucs should fair very well if it is correct whilst here in the East Mids we could be largely snowless except for Leics which should have a substantial covering from earlier falls on Tuesday afternoon.

Annnyyywaaayyy, enough of this now. It's driving me round the bend. Time to chill out with a few beers in front of the telly me thinks, and what will be, will be, as far as tomorrow is concerned. :rofl:

Posted

and we're back :) still fairly up in the air re: tomorrows snow event, could be some disappointed people as ever, and i dont expect snow from the very start as shown by the beeb. it may be light and patchy throughout the day, but time will tell. im not getting excited until it looks the same in the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Users online at once record beaten here! :)

Who's looking forward to tomorrow-with caution of course? :)

Posted

I've come on here to find a page of delirious Midlanders, then a page of confused Midlanders.

Where are we thinking the main areas are now and when?

Have my chances changed as I've missed the forecasts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Users online at once record beaten here! biggrin.gif

Who's looking forward to tomorrow-with caution of course? laugh.gif

For a minute then, I thought I was going solo through tonight !! whistling.gif Carling check, Lampost check, Pork and leek sausage cooking......pardon.gif

Whats the news on that Cheshire gap shizzle ??ph34r.gif

Sorry been offline for two hours getting another tattoo!!crazy.gif

Clicked back on as the server went down and can`t be bothered to search through posts!!clap.gif

Posted

Evening All!!!!!!

Wow, confusion, Delirium, I just don't know what on earth to think!!!!!!! Met Office seem unsure, tv forecasts (although I havn't seen any this evening) seem unsure, and now I am unsure as to whether to drive to work tomorrow or get the bus!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please tell me that we will get snow!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Posted

A slight (but only slight) word of caution...

Someone living in central Wales has told me that they are getting a surprise SW wind with the pressure and temperature rocketing up... could there be a sting in the tail with a high pressure ridge approaching?

Edited by Strider

Posted