Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Showers to the NW inching their way here very slowly. Notice on the METO site Thorncliffe is reporting slight snow, that's about 10 miles North. Closest to the NW seems to be Northwich about 25 miles.

Posted

What a day, woke up to lows of -9 but walking to work was a bit downbeat, lucky enough to still have 3 inches of snowcover but the weather synoptics could have been so much better especially snowfall wise, anyway got call from my daughter at 3.00pm to say the water pipe outside to the tap had burst, my god she was,nt joking. When i got home the water was spraying 4 feet into the air, and in -2 temps the back yard was bloody lethal. Anyway, after taking out a kitchen base unit, isolating the supply and fixing the leak, luckly problem solved.

BUT feeling a lot better know i,ve viewed the 18z run. :)

PS that ppn coming in from the North West tonight is just taking ages to get here. Keeps breaking up over the Peak District.

Location North Derbshire ( DE4 ) :oops::D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

I'm in Notts city centre - and yes looking good for us! But not counting my chickens just yet...

Lol, I`ve no chickens but theres three ducks in by back garden awaiting the new snowfall! (I went out to tell them about it earlier when the server crashed!)ph34r.gif

Posted

What a day, woke up to lows of -9 but walking to work was a bit downbeat, lucky enough to still have 3 inches of snowcover but the weather synoptics could have been so much better especially snowfall wise, anyway got call from my daughter at 3.00pm to say the water pipe outside to the tap had burst, my god she was,nt joking. When i got home the water was spraying 4 feet into the air, and in -2 temps the back yard was bloody lethal. Anyway, after taking out a kitchen base unit, isolating the supply and fixing the leak, luckly problem solved.

BUT feeling a lot better know i,ve viewed the 18z run. :)

PS that ppn coming in from the North West tonight is just taking ages to get here. Keeps breaking up over the Peak District.

Location North Derbshire ( DE4 ) :oops::D

Posted

Well certainly some upgrades tonight for the west of the region. For Northants a much poorer run though I'm afraid.

We're on the borderline-- up to 10cm if you believe the GFS, no more than 1cm if you believe the NAE.

Looks like the sweet spot will be further west, and (possibly) south.

Posted

Few flakes now beginning to fall here in stoke :whistling:

Few flakes now beginning to fall here in stoke :cold:

Where are you CC, im in kidsgrove, nothing here yet, lampost watching tho!!!

Scratch that, lol, its snowing, and white already yippee

Edited by BLOKEINSTOKE

Posted

Nothing in Bucknall either. Keeping a close watch on the lampost!

Posted

Scratch that, lol, its snowing, and white already yippee

Hehe....I'm at Staffs uni :whistling: so in actual stoke lol! Light snow now - small flakes :cold:

Posted

Good morning all, new poster here. My name is Chris and I'm from Shenstone, a little village outside of Lichfield in Staffordshire. I have been an avid viewer of netweather for years (only winter months) for my love of snow and have finally got round to registering. I'm at the University of Leicester in term times and Im a villa fan which is all you need to know haha. Sorry for the biography just thought id introduce myself to you lot, which I already feel like I know some of you. Nick from cannock, Andy Leicester who has been on these forums for as long as I have been viewing them going back at least 4 years!

Anyway, lets hope for some real snow tomorrow for the West midlands and for the rest of the midlands!!!!!

Chris :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Wel thats what the bbc forecast to start with as shown on there beeb run , it arrives very fragmented in the morning and develops for us as the day progresses , i think its when it starts to react with the trough developing off it when it gets interesting .

Posted

Wel thats what the bbc forecast to start with as shown on there beeb run , it arrives very fragmented in the morning and develops for us as the day progresses , i think its when it starts to react with the trough developing off it when it gets interesting .

Looking at the radar the PPN isn't fragmenting at all and has passed the peak district, http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ the area of PPN east of Newcastle is the front, this is getting bigger and bigger because of showers merging in to the front from the North East and North West, the showers are piling into the front, and in due course the front will get larger.

Edited by 10123

Posted

Welcome Chris, I think you have joined at a very good time !!

Thanks mate. Yes I just couldn't resist, iI really do read these forums religiously haha , should have registered a long time ago!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Looking at the radar the PPN isn't fragmenting at all and has passed the peak district, http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ the area of PPN east of Newcastle is the front, this is getting bigger and bigger because of showers merging in to the front from the North East and North West, the showers are piling into the front, and in due course the front will get larger.

So is that front at newcastle meant to be moving southwest then? I didnt thinkso , or do you meant that where the ppn appeared 1st and now its developing elsewhere? lol sorry

Posted

Thanks mate. Yes I just couldn't resist, iI really do read these forums religiously haha , should have registered a long time ago!

Welcome to the both of you, the forums at this sort of time become a big mash up of opinions and 'ramping' but just try to pick through it the best you can and do not be afraid to ask questions, to anyone.

As the header on this board says "we are a community" and try to help each other along as best we can :)

also a bit of banter thrown in with an "on topic" point of view makes this place really fun. :)

Eek?! this lot is a bit close to me for me to go to bed now??

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

And worst still, I've run out of beer...hmm? I think there's a botle of Bailey's left from christmas somewhere :lazy:

Posted

Welcome to the both of you, the forums at this sort of time become a big mash up of opinions and 'ramping' but just try to pick through it the best you can and do not be afraid to ask questions, to anyone.

As the header on this board says "we are a community" and try to help each other along as best we can :)

also a bit of banter thrown in with an "on topic" point of view makes this place really fun. :lazy:

Yeh i filter the optimism usually haha, as the West midlands is rather 'unlucky' at times, personally I blame it on those derbyshire peaks, being so tall and greedy haha! Im not too clued up on analysing the models really so I just scan for smiley faces and try to dodge those bartletts!

Edited by Rorky_Lichfield

Posted

Evening all, hows it looking for the tamworth area tomorrow? i have to go to the dental hospital in brum at 5pm tomorrow evening by train, am i going to have a difficult journey?

Posted

Evening all, hows it looking for the tamworth area tomorrow? i have to go to the dental hospital in brum at 5pm tomorrow evening by train, am i going to have a difficult journey?

In a word yes! and it's gonna hurt to hell and back after you get into that cold winter air :cold::D

(my smiley has such nice teeth) :p