Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Okay so another day, another day of Snow Reports that there is a separate thread for and a severe lack of 'Discussion' as given in the thread title.

I wanna hear from the usual suspects Reef, Lewis, Snowlover2009 and JohnHolmes on what they expect overnight and tomorrow for this region given the latest BBC N24 forecasts showing heavy and extensive snowfall over the next 24 hours. Personally, here in Grimsby there is a mere 2inches/5cms of snow which is nothing special - if that doubles over the next 24 I will quite happily agree with the rest of the country that this has been an exceptional winter.

Edited by rikki

i have to admit i think paul hudson will be a littlr dissapointed in himself really as yes he predicted the snow the other night (however not the amounts tht fell) but thereafter his forecast was for persistant heavy and at times prolonged snow showers for the rest of the week with today looking notoriously bad. However this hasnt quite panned out as today is quite the opposite like yesterday and tonight/tomorrow i really cant see many snow showers pushing in land as the frequently updated bbc met forecasts keep changing there graphics. The weekend doesnt look too promising in my opinion. I think any snow will be to the south and a slight thaw under cloud cover up here. However cant complain about the cold temps and current snow cover and i know a few to the east are recieving one or two heavy snow showrs

Posted

i have to admit i think paul hudson will be a littlr dissapointed in himself really as yes he predicted the snow the other night (however not the amounts tht fell) but thereafter his forecast was for persistant heavy and at times prolonged snow showers for the rest of the week with today looking notoriously bad. However this hasnt quite panned out as today is quite the opposite like yesterday and tonight/tomorrow i really cant see many snow showers pushing in land as the frequently updated bbc met forecasts keep changing there graphics. The weekend doesnt look too promising in my opinion. I think any snow will be to the south and a slight thaw under cloud cover up here. However cant complain about the cold temps and current snow cover and i know a few to the east are recieving one or two heavy snow showrs

Why would there be a thaw with the 850's below -10 and from a dry source of air?

Posted

Keep missing the showers. Still got laying snow from the first band on Monday and just had light showers since which hav'nt really given any further accumulations. I thought we were in for a pasting about an hour ago but it didn't come off. Surely with this set up and us being right on the eaat coast it's only a matter of time?

Temp showing +4.5C but I'm not sure it's accurate as my station is currently in direct sunlight.

Can anyone advise? I put my station on the garage roof where I can get accurate wind speeds but on the downside it's not sheltered from the sun so I get Innacurate temps. :(

Can anyone else in the area confirm temps?

Posted

Okay so another day, another day of Snow Reports that there is a separate thread for and a severe lack of 'Discussion' as given in the thread title.

I wanna hear from the usual suspects Reef, Lewis, Snowlover2009 and JohnHolmes on what they expect overnight and tomorrow for this region given the latest BBC N24 forecasts showing heavy and extensive snowfall over the next 24 hours. Personally, here in Grimsby there is a mere 2inches/5cms of snow which is nothing special - if that doubles over the next 24 I will quite happily agree with the rest of the country that this has been an exceptional winter.

Where abouts in Grimsby are you from mate, where I live on Laceby road we have around 8cm of snow which I though wasn't too bad.

Posted

hey mate,

Showers will start to push more South now, as the low pressure edges further SW. Could be a few more showers tonight but mainly confined to eastern coastal parts. Temps down to around -6 around here, metoffice/bbc go for -9 but i doubt that's going to happen here.

As we head into the morning, showers will become more widespread, especially around East Yorkshire, NE lincs. More heavy showers too for areas like the Lincs Wolds.

Saturday - More showers once again, with sunday a possible prolonged spell of snowfall for eastern parts again pushing up from the SE. Although it could be marginal for some areas on sunday (although the way things keep upgrading i doubt it very much).

I'll be heading out soon for some lunch and im looking around at offices. If you need out drop me a PM and i'll reply when i get back.

Why would there be a thaw with the 850's below -10 and from a dry source of air?

Hi because a soon as temps start to rise in the sun light, and you get some cloud cover, dews rise slightly too and so does your wet bulb temperature, this is whats needed stop a thaw at the surface.

Lewis

Posted

Although I agree a thaw is not very likely, it is surely possible that with strong winds an dry air, the snow could simply evaporate. I remember this happened in 1979, when I lived down in Kent. The weather stayed very cold and dry, but the snow gradually diminished due to the low humidity.

Posted

Keep missing the showers. Still got laying snow from the first band on Monday and just had light showers since which hav'nt really given any further accumulations. I thought we were in for a pasting about an hour ago but it didn't come off. Surely with this set up and us being right on the eaat coast it's only a matter of time?

Temp showing +4.5C but I'm not sure it's accurate as my station is currently in direct sunlight.

Can anyone advise? I put my station on the garage roof where I can get accurate wind speeds but on the downside it's not sheltered from the sun so I get Innacurate temps. cc_confused.gif

Can anyone else in the area confirm temps?

If you use this site

xcweather.co.uk if gives accurate upto date readings, at Brid it was 2 degrees not so long since. What impressed me was that manchester airport was -11 at 11 o clock!!! Hope this help you a bit.

hey mate,

Showers will start to push more South now, as the low pressure edges further SW. Could be a few more showers tonight but mainly confined to eastern coastal parts. Temps down to around -6 around here, metoffice/bbc go for -9 but i doubt that's going to happen here.

As we head into the morning, showers will become more widespread, especially around East Yorkshire, NE lincs. More heavy showers too for areas like the Lincs Wolds.

Saturday - More showers once again, with sunday a possible prolonged spell of snowfall for eastern parts again pushing up from the SE. Although it could be marginal for some areas on sunday (although the way things keep upgrading i doubt it very much).

I'll be heading out soon for some lunch and im looking around at offices. If you need out drop me a PM and i'll reply when i get back.

Hi because a soon as temps start to rise in the sun light, and you get some cloud cover, dews rise slightly too and so does your wet bulb temperature, this is whats needed stop a thaw at the surface.

thanks for explaining

Lewis

Posted

got a little thaw here the temps at 2.0c in cleethorpes wallbash.gif hope it does not all melt cc_confused.gif

Posted

got a little thaw here the temps at 2.0c in cleethorpes wallbash.gif hope it does not all melt cc_confused.gif

Dont worry too much it was that yesterday too. After around 2 this aft it should hopefully begin to get colder again, this happened yesterday as well. The roads/trees might loose a bit as the sun is shining.

Posted

the local newspaper website is saying forcasters are pridicting widespread snow across doncaster today

Posted

Dont worry too much it was that yesterday too. After around 2 this aft it should hopefully begin to get colder again, this happened yesterday as well. The roads/trees might loose a bit as the sun is shining.

thanks for the info. still got 6cm of snow in the back garden drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

We're in the midst of a heavy, prolonged snow shower here in Lincoln which has covered the roads, which were previously clear.

i hop paul hudson tells us about thge lack of snow coming our way in the next few days rather than hyping it up again n making us excited because going by the latest forecasts n charts we are likely to recieve little if any snow during the next 5days unless you live on the beautiful yorkshire coastline-wht a shame because we cud hv been lookin at huge totals just a few days ago

Posted

i hop paul hudson tells us about thge lack of snow coming our way in the next few days rather than hyping it up again n making us excited because going by the latest forecasts n charts we are likely to recieve little if any snow during the next 5days unless you live on the beautiful yorkshire coastline-wht a shame because we cud hv been lookin at huge totals just a few days ago

Snow showers are going to occur for our region, however they will be more prolonged and frequent the further South you go. I expect much of our region to see at least a cm or two of snow (to keep us topped up) over the next few days. The further East you are the better.

Posted

Where abouts in Grimsby are you from mate, where I live on Laceby road we have around 8cm of snow which I though wasn't too bad.

I live in Humberston and work in Grimsby, on top the benches in the Garden (which is always best placed for reading depth) its 5cm, 6 at best. I seriously doubt 8cms is accurate. Looking at the garden as a whole anywhere from 1-5cms - I can still see the road kerb so not enough for my liking. There was marginally more snow in December than there is now.

Edited by rikki

Posted

I live in Humberston and work in Grimsby, on top the benches in the Garden (which is always best placed for reading depth) its 5cm, 6 at best. I seriously doubt 8cms is accurate. Looking at the garden as a whole anywhere from 1-5cms - I can still see the road kerb so not enough for my liking. There was more marginally more snow in December than there is now.

We were the other way round, strange that. I just guess it is all down to where the showers fall. It was only an estimate but I can quite honestly say we have more that 5 cm.

Posted

We were the other way round, strange that. I just guess it is all down to where the showers fall. It was only an estimate but I can quite honestly say we have more that 5 cm.

..what a difference a couple of miles make.

Posted

I live in Humberston and work in Grimsby, on top the benches in the Garden (which is always best placed for reading depth) its 5cm, 6 at best. I seriously doubt 8cms is accurate. Looking at the garden as a whole anywhere from 1-5cms - I can still see the road kerb so not enough for my liking. There was more marginally more snow in December than there is now.

Just got to hope for fridays snow that the BBC are showing for us. I know know you feel, I hoped the LP last night would of given more for us, got a 1cm on top of the 5cm, so thats better than none at all.rolleyes.gif

Posted

..what a difference a couple of miles make.

..yeah its not as if we can put it down to altitude as a few metres will make no difference