Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted

well in my (novice) opinion i cant see it being much but snow for sunday

with the last low that came in it came from the sw, this one is due to come from the se if im correct ??

surely a low that comes from the se (very cold se at that) is gonna be way colder than one which comes from the sw ????

there was alot of talk about us getting rain/sleet with the last low obviously cause it was comin of the atlantic, but we got hrs worth of pure snow !!! (well tell a lie we got about an hrs worth of rain/sleet)

fingers crossed it will be the same this time round

Edited by coxxy22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Tough one to call isn't it especially as things change so quickly! Just a few hours before the snow started on Tuesday it was the south west, Dorset etc that was forecast to have the heaviest falls but the system came further east and hit us lot instead! Staying with my mum in Horndean at the moment and seemed strange to see snow ploughs coming down the road!

Posted

:good: -3 here and dropping fairly quickly. Saw -7 last night and still have much snow lying. In fact it has barely melted all day. The sun has done a bit of work on it but nothing much. Hoping for a top up over the weekend, but seems a bit uncertain atm. Any thoughts from people at this early stage?

Thanks for telling us 'Rob' but it's no use without your location showing? an you add your location to your avatar or signature? Cheers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

A few people on other threads (south west and south east) saying there are signs that Sunday's event might not come off after all so really is a case of wait and see!!

Posted
  • Location: Hampshire/Dorset border, few miles in from the coast

Thanks for telling us 'Rob' but it's no use without your location showing? an you add your location to your avatar or signature? Cheers.

My bad, only just joined and forgot. I see there is still a huge fence with a great many people sitting on top of it about the weekend. I will admit that im trying to make sense of everything being said, but im failing pretty miserably:pardon:. At this stage the optomist in me can only see it falling as snow, but maybe these other 'rain/sleet talk' people could be right.

Budge up. Need room for one more on the fence....:yahoo:

Posted

some more confirmation of that freakish -17 recorded in Benson , South Oxfordshire last night

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/6947178/Snow-to-stay-as-temperatures-plunge-to-coldest-this-winter.html

"Lows of minus 17.7C (0.14F) in Benson, Oxfordshire, and Woodford, Greater Manchester, eclipsed minimum temperatures at many of Europe's famous ski resorts. "

thats one incredible "frost hollow" , as some of the other posters mentioned about that place.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

My bad, only just joined and forgot. I see there is still a huge fence with a great many people sitting on top of it about the weekend. I will admit that im trying to make sense of everything being said, but im failing pretty miserably:pardon:. At this stage the optomist in me can only see it falling as snow, but maybe these other 'rain/sleet talk' people could be right.

Budge up. Need room for one more on the fence....whistling.gif

it will def not be sleet on st/sun . if we get precipitation then it will fall of snow!!! it is way to cold! with the ground freezing perfecct snow conditions!! people keep swaying from moderate showers to heavy organised band of snow!! im praying for the latter!! has anybody studied the charts???bbc forecast looks great!!acute.gif i hope the met off will upgrade the warnings by sat..... what do u all think??? snow flurries tommorow forecast too!!!! just saw the updated bbc forecast on the bbc website looks nailed on for sunday!!!hehe!!! i do hope it happens!!biggrin.gif

Edited by iowpompeylee

Posted

Hmmmm well as far as the flurries tomorrow go, I thought you would find them with the hens teeth and rocking horse do do....not much talk of them I didnt think, for us down on the south coast anyway. However the METO is still suggesting Sat night, though Sunday and into Monday is still looking good

Edited by CaptainRob

Posted

I try to make some sense of the model discussion threads but most of it goes over my head!! I think the general consenus at the moment is that snow on Sunday/Monday will be light/moderate but persistent giving good coverings in places (although it seems to change from Southern areas only to central/south east etc).

Personally I absolutely loved the intensity and huge flakes we had on Tuesday (despite being stuck in it for 5 hours on the A3 lol!!) but I'm not sure the weekend will produce that again from what I've read.

The winds are picking up from tomorrow which may push the easterly snow flurries further our way hence the forecast. Everything can change so quickly which adds to the fun! biggrin.gif

Posted

Yeah heres hoping.I find the model discussions go over my head, then bounce back again. Either way I hope you are correct and we might get a little pre-dusting before the major pasting :cc_confused:

Edited by CaptainRob

Posted

Lovely!!!

Posted

absolutely awesome

Posted

Everyone talking about 'panic buying' at the shops now! My brother has been to Asda in Waterlooville for some beer and they've run out of bread! Asda told him that one woman had bought 30 loaves of bread (must love sandwiches!) The shops should put a limit per customer really if they can to stop the silliness a bit! Glad I pre warned my bro and his wife (they've just had a baby) on Tuesday morning so they've got enough of everything - except for beer!! biggrin.gif

Posted

Everyone talking about 'panic buying' at the shops now! My brother has been to Asda in Waterlooville for some beer and they've run out of bread! Asda told him that one woman had bought 30 loaves of bread (must love sandwiches!) The shops should put a limit per customer really if they can to stop the silliness a bit! Glad I pre warned my bro and his wife (they've just had a baby) on Tuesday morning so they've got enough of everything - except for beer!! biggrin.gif

my local tesco was completely out of milk mid-afternoon when i ventured down there.

definitely think panic buying is starting to happen alright.

but there is a logical reason for "panic buying" - pretty much everyone knows that our food distribution system operates according to the "just in time" model.

throw in the sheer dominance of the big supermarkets and the utter lack of local grocery stores, then it only takes a severe cold spell to entire disrupt the food supply precisely because of that "just in time" model.

i dont think that lady with 30 loaves is being irrational. its perfectly rational considering the distribution system with regards to food that we find ourselves in.

compare for example, any english town or village with their equivalents in france , where the french have supported a vast range of local shops in even the tiniest villages, sourcing their food locally.

if you want a cold spell robust food distribution model and no "panic buying" , go look at france.

Edited by justinflavin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Maybe she's a volunteer at a homeless shelter or summat. :fool:

Posted

Not as cold last night here (& for most of us down here i'd imagine) cloud was over us in the early hours & the breeze picked up too, so no lower than -1.5C wallbash.gif

Edited by SunnySouthCoast

Posted

Has anyone seen a forcast for Sunday/Monday? When i looked this morning BBC had nothing over us, apart from a bit of rain over IOW.

Edited by dibble34

Posted

Has anyone seen a forcast for Sunday/Monday? When i looked this morning BBC had nothing over us, apart from a bit of rain over IOW.

Most recent forecast on BBC News channel @ 10:57 had snow over our area on Sat night/Sunday. Don't thnk it wil be heavy though, mostly flurries I think...

Posted

Most recent forecast on BBC News channel @ 10:57 had snow over our area on Sat night/Sunday. Don't thnk it wil be heavy though, mostly flurries I think...

Thanks, after this week events i almost wouldn't mind a break from the snow

Posted

Thanks, after this week events i almost wouldn't mind a break from the snow

Me too, can't even move car here! The most recent forecast I saw on BBC showed the remainder of Sunday & it looks like there could well be a spell of more moderate snow during the day, so could give another 2-5cm... drinks.gif