Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted

hello,

i think it will be and wait and see for the middle of the week. Always more likely to be rain on the coasts, especially with a southeasterly modifying the air a little as it comes off the channel. However, with all the embedded cold i wouldn't rule anything out in this current spell! I would say inland Hampshire will see snow.

as for today, that precip over kent/surrey/sussex is making painfully slow progress westwards. some heavier bursts in it - i think it's just a case of watching the radar now to see its track and whether it peters out or (hopefully) peps up! Be nice to see that band which has been peppering the cherbourgh peninsula for two days to push north west - wishful thinking maybe?

Paul

Edited by A horse called man

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Hi,

Clouds have been looking suspect for a while now in Horndean but not amounting to anything. Just read your comment isle of wight so looked out of the window again lol and seem even darker. Will it?...... Won't it?...... lol .... the suspense is killing me!! smile.gif

Posted

Indeed it is making painfully slow prgress, but on the plus side that means that when/if it gets here, its here to stay for quite some time. No visable signs of tomorrows event taking shape yet, so will have to sit tight for that one for now i guess

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Agree with you there southernskies - a lot of people are worried about tomorrow but I've told them not to panic. The south east thread is exciting at the moment, Eastbourne is really getting hit and it's not a million miles away but doubt that would come this far west.

South west still looking potentially at a lot of snow for mid week - not sure what will happen to our little central area!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

its very slow moving but met office radar is not showing much still i hold hope.

cloud is moving in now and its bitter in the wind.

some radars are showing a increase pnn and some are showing alot lighter stuff but i think most likely out come being lighter.

whats intresting is that its expanding so this gives a wider area of possibility so something could be on the cards.

my 3pm prediction is not correct but they maybe because its track has slowed down,

but if it slows and increases in pnn then this is better,

but on the downside it could also fizzle out dropping the heavier pnn on other areas to our east.

but im still fairly confident something is afoot.

another couple of inches and that would be brillant.

as for wed its very marginal,

i think its very possible low pressure could run along the southcoast,

and in my opion this would be the best as around the top of the low pressure it would suck round cold air,

and with our surface cold it would then be snow,

and heavy.

this also would make things a little better for longer term cold in my opion allowing a reload,

from which direction depends on the heights and where they move to,

best would be from scandi towards iceland,

but its on a knife edge whether the breakdown will be sort lived i think it will,

but im no expert.

but even when milder air does push in it will be back to slightly below or average so not blowtourch,

its good to see met office aswell holding on to the colder air.

either exciting weather and intresting model watching this afternoon.:doh:

Edited by badboy657

Posted

Hi,

Clouds have been looking suspect for a while now in Horndean but not amounting to anything. Just read your comment isle of wight so looked out of the window again lol and seem even darker. Will it?...... Won't it?...... lol .... the suspense is killing me!! smile.gif

We just need to be patient! It'll get here and top things up nicely + a bit of drifting on top!

Channel 4 has got some live racing from Lingfield park (near Crawley Gatwick)- the snow has really started chucking down in the last half hour or so.

Posted

in response to you badboy, im thinking it probably wont fizzle too much. my thinking is(rightly or wrongly) that the upper level frontal activitymight give it the energy it needs to keep going. as some have noted it is infact spreading and becoming more persistant in some areas so its still hopeful that soemthing will occurr

Posted

Indeed it is making painfully slow prgress, but on the plus side that means that when/if it gets here, its here to stay for quite some time. No visable signs of tomorrows event taking shape yet, so will have to sit tight for that one for now i guess

yes, that's very true. It'll get here i think - even a fair few hours of light snow to add to what we've got would be good. I haven't seen any local forecasts for tomorrow - what's the score with that? i thought that was meant to be a bit further north (along the M4 north)?

Posted

yes, that's very true. It'll get here i think - even a fair few hours of light snow to add to what we've got would be good. I haven't seen any local forecasts for tomorrow - what's the score with that? i thought that was meant to be a bit further north (along the M4 north)?

i believe the part about it being further north is probably relating to mondays possibilities. it seems that it is definately more overnight and into tomorrow that the snow will reach us as the upper fronts arent supposed to reach the uk until this evening and tonight. im thinking the current snow is just a bonus

Posted

i believe the part about it being further north is probably relating to mondays possibilities. it seems that it is definately more overnight and into tomorrow that the snow will reach us as the upper fronts arent supposed to reach the uk until this evening and tonight. im thinking the current snow is just a bonus

yes, just had a look at the fax charts. This does look to be a little bonus - related to a trough rather than the upper front which, as you say, is predicted to be sitting over us tomorrow. Interesting stuff - much radar watching required in the next 24 hours i think!

Posted

ah radar watching. pleasure and pain all rolled into one. the more disturbing side to the weather lol. i think the british inherantly have weather ocd

my thoughts exactly!! It would much easier if i didn't watch the radar but somehow the temptation is too great. the hours i've spent watching showers pack into the southeast and then fade and die just before reaching Hampshire.

Posted

it seems there are rumblings of the meto and bbc underestimating the snow potential for tomorrow. will be interesting to see if this comes to fruition. im hoping that the approaching upper front from the se doesnt push this trough off course from us. i know its greedy but 2 lots are better than one

Posted

well the 15:45 radar shows it pushing west still !!!!

COME ON !!!! URRY UP !!! lol

i think i'm going to stop looking at the radar!! the heavier precip seems to have stalled a bit over kent...i'm starting to imagine things. I think i'm snowblind.

on another note, the 12z has the first low further south for tuesday keeping us all colder with any precip stalling and dying - everything further west so still cold here. Plenty of interest i think!

Posted

well the 15:45 radar shows it pushing west still !!!!

COME ON !!!! URRY UP !!! lol

lol - getting dark here but then checked the time and thought well it would do anyway! fool.gif

Posted

judging by the met office radar things are easing off somewhat i did mention there was a possibilty that area of pnn would fizzle,

it maybe the met o radar is not giving correct imagines but i really dont think so.

one thing though,

the main event was ment to be overnight and into tomorrow,

although some are suggesting it will be futher north into north hampshire/midlands london wales ect.

i think so far its looking very light perhapes nothing.:cold:

Posted

ok, so i haven't stopped looking at the radar. It now looks like there is a second area of precip developing over northeast France behind the band which is (slowly) pushing towards us. It all looks quite light to me, at this stage. Plenty of time, yet, though.

fingers crossed for us all! what a spell of weather this has been - easily the best i can remember properly since i've stopped being 10 years old.

Posted

judging by the met office radar things are easing off somewhat i did mention there was a possibilty that area of pnn would fizzle,

it maybe the met o radar is not giving correct imagines but i really dont think so.

one thing though,

although some are suggesting it will be futher north into north hampshire/midlands london wales ect.

i think so far its looking very light perhapes nothing.unsure.gif

I'm thinking the same now especially the further north element. Never mind!

Posted

one thing though,

i think so far its looking very light perhapes nothing.unsure.gif

most of the forecasts i've seen (admittedly not since yesterday night) suggested it would be light for us, but prolonged, with the heavier stuff mainly confined to the far southeast. I think we'll see something.

Posted

most of the forecasts i've seen (admittedly not since yesterday night) suggested it would be light for us, but prolonged, with the heavier stuff mainly confined to the far southeast. I think we'll see something.

Would be good - waiting is part of the fun!

Posted

I'm thinking the same now especially the further north element. Never mind!

lets not be downbeat just yet as horsecalledman says there is something building over in france its all swirling round,

this maybe what the met o warning is inline with.

im a little confused on weather online there is a clump of pnn moving our direction its around 1-2 2-4 mm per hour,

but as it moves closer its losing pnn strength most likely because of the downs,

if it was a direct easterly like it was a few hours ago then it would have been better.

but right now it seems to fizzle before it gets here although theres fair bit of cloud cover moving in it just getting the pnn to us.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/radar?LANG=en&STRUCTUR=_&CREG=sou&CONT=ukuk&BIG=0&ZEIT=201001091440&LOOP=1&LTYP=std&ROAD=0&CITY=&L=0&SLP=0&W=0

its horrible waiting but who knows something may crop up :lol:

i see few specks of purple in there its picked up a little and it is heading for us just.:)

Edited by badboy657