Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Hi snowgal dont know if you already use it but go on website, RAINTODAY,just type in your location and you can watch the snow arriving on the satellite.

Thanks-Ive just looked but theres nothin anywhere near the IOW 2night!! Strange coz the Live IoW weather site based here says 'further snowfall expected tonight'!! We shall see!! :clap:

Posted

Thanks-Ive just looked but theres nothin anywhere near the IOW 2night!! Strange coz the Live IoW weather site based here says 'further snowfall expected tonight'!! We shall see!! <_<

Gutted that streamer coming from ne is going to west of us. But with the heavy showers coming in id be surprised i we missed everything lol. Im in Poole by the way. You got more snow than we did the other night. t one point we were right in the firing line but at the last minute it decided to bugger off 70 miles to our west, Still we got a chance tomorrow eve.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Hope you get some tomorrow Kent - I think the most is forecast for southeast but let's hope it changes its mind at the last minute and comes over our way instead!

Posted

Hope you get some tomorrow Kent - I think the most is forecast for southeast but let's hope it changes its mind at the last minute and comes over our way instead!

Cheers, this thread must be the quietest on here, probably because we dont have weather in Poole lol.

Posted

well anything is possible in the weather which is why i love it so much

I think we will see snow tomorrow night into sunday, It does look cold enough and i think uppers look cold enough too :cold:.

Met office temperature forecast has the IOW on 0c for tomorrow night so that should be cold enough. thats if we get any this way which i think we will.

Fingers crosseddrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

You're right - it is the quietest thread (except for Tuesday/Wednesday when it went bonkers!!) We don't get much in the way of the snow - not compared to the south east/south west whose threads are always busy! That's why this week has been good for a lot of us central southerners for once!

Fingers crossed for the weekend - should get something but the PPN charts definitely look heavier east of Brighton at the mo.

This is from another good website whose forecast for our fun and games on Tuesday proved spot on!!

"We’ve been warning that the worst of the weather is likely to be across North Eastern, Eastern and South Eastern parts of the United Kingdom since the forecasting of this extremely cold blast. So far many North Eastern areas have seen the extreme weather with over one foot of snow drifting to 2 or 3 feet in places – locally up-to 5 feet. Although winter has been slowly gripping the South East it hasn’t yet hit its worst and it is this weekend that things really do step up a gear.

Snow showers are expected to continue to filter into many parts of East Anglia, North East England, Yorkshire and the South East on Saturday with another 5 – 10cm possible in parts of Kent especially. Winds will also increase as a bitterly cold Easterly flow becomes firmly established. We do expect to issue an emergency extreme weather warning for Kent, Essex and parts of Sussex for the weekend. We could see in excess of 20cm falling in some places with over 1 foot of level lying snow on the ground by the end of the weekend.

During Sunday showers of snow are expected to filter inland – primarily affecting Southern, South Western and Central parts of England and Wales. These showers will be patchy and mainly light in nature but there is a risk of some moderate pulses in places – especially as we move into the latter parts of Sunday with 2 – 5cm possible anywhere. We are keeping an eye on areas in and around the West Country including Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, North Hampshire and Dorset – we could see a few higher accumulations in these areas – but as always we will keep you updated on this development closer to the period."

Posted

Thank you sib. A very detailed and informative post.

You're welcome - I was impressed by the website that posted that summary because it's so concise and easy to read so I'm glad it's been useful. Seems to tie in with everything on the south east/west threads on this site as well. I'm pretty sure we'll see something over the weekend!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Personally I have a feeling;and I have been reading all the other winter threads on here, that the chances of a truly spectacular snowy period are about 61%- 39% in favor of a supreme dumping of drifting snow and modern techno meltdown in the next few days in this region.

If it rains here for longer than an hour or so in the next 100, then I think my childhood was probably 10 times better and we are all doomed. lol

Regards and have fun.

Russ

If it comes off as a best case scenario then Mr Data may need additional memory...

Posted
  • Location: Hampshire/Dorset border, few miles in from the coast

Well seing as this thread has died, im just going to throw this out there....anyone getting any snow yet? Can you even see any cloud? Nowt here at the moment and still -4. Fingers crossed :cold:

Posted

Nothing here either Captain Rob (although I'm slightly more north of Portsmouth at the moment in Waterlooville/Horndean). Blue skies and chilly wind! Not expecting any flurries until late pm/tomorrow.

Posted

Nothing here either Captain Rob (although I'm slightly more north of Portsmouth at the moment in Waterlooville/Horndean). Blue skies and chilly wind! Not expecting any flurries until late pm/tomorrow.

Nothing here in Basingstoke either.

Are you really expecting anything to happen this evening? So far all the snow showers have fizzled out before they've got this far inland.

Looking at the data, I think we've seen the best part of the snow so far. Whats still left wont thaw too quickly, another week or so of whats left, but I really can't see another reload/dumping coming at all this weekend or into the new week. Although, I'll happily be put right if it does :)

February should be another good month for snow, when, where and how much is impossible to predict, however past experience says that things tend to get a little lively in Feb.

Doh! We're missed again...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

:)

Posted

Certainly looks like we'll miss most of it but those graphics are not usually very good and change every few hours! They certainly didn't get Tuesday right! I think things will warm up Tuesday/Wed and we'll get a lot of rain so I'm going to enjoy what I've got while I can!

Will be interesting to see what Feb brings but being so far south I don't get my hopes up too much.

PS - we did have a very little flurry here about 20 minutes ago!

Posted

Another light snow flurry going on in Horndean!

Posted

Metcheck is predicting light snow from 1500 to midnight, but at the moment I have sunny blue

skies. Blue tits are fighting to get on the window feeder though, so maybe they know something I don't!

Posted

looking at the radar it seems as if the fluffy stuff over the se is pushin west slightly ?? might just be wishfull thinkin on my part though lol

Edited by coxxy22

Posted

my eye is watching the visable sat on meto-the nice lumpy(er) cloud over france is slowly building and moving in a generally promising direction. also watching the showers to the east and they do seem to be creeping ever so slowly westards. good spot there Coxxy

Posted

yeah to my eye by looking at the radar it seems as if the wind has changed maybe to more of an estly which is now blowing some of it this way !

it has been blowing it in more of a sw direction all morning (wastein all that snow in the channel lol )

Posted

Hopefully we will see at least the odd flurry today, but the latest BBC weather showed the snow tomorrow on hitting north Hampshire, before heading off up north, I relly hope they are wrong!

It is sunny here at mo & 0C (32F) after an overnight low of -2C (28F)

Posted

ah the good old bbc graphics. normally look like soneone has been paintballing in the studio, using the weather wall for practice. bring back the good old graphics. i trust what i see on here and some of the meto. normally i totally discount tv and radio as they are so horrendously vague

Posted

raintoday? forgive my ignorance, but what is it? do you have a link?problem is im too skint to get nw extra atm, so im lagging 45 mins or so behind by having to use the meto radar :)

Edited by CaptainRob

Posted

I can see that band of cloud (& snow) in the sky looking east, all that snow being wasted in the channel! mad.gif

Posted

I can see that band of cloud (& snow) in the sky looking east, all that snow being wasted in the channel! mad.gif

well keep an eye on it, and if/when you start to get snow....SHOUT! lol