Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

No legs im afraid mate, my cable is not long enough. I'm nipping into town over weekend to get some longer USB cabling, and i'm going to buy a new HD webcam so i can hook it up on the wall overlooking the garden, i'll have to get some waterproof cielent so the webcam does not get any damp or wetness into it.

Lewis

hey lewis, how come the ppn hasn't fallen when its being saying moderate? think ive only experienced this once before

Posted

hey lewis, how come the ppn hasn't fallen when its being saying moderate? think ive only experienced this once before

Whats your current dew point and temp mate?

Normally what with precipitation (snow in particular) is the bigger difference between your dew and temp for example, -0.1c temp and -5 or -6 dew, the less saturation you get, so if any precipitation did fall it would be automatically generally lighter with smaller flakes.

Lewis

Posted

Snow can take an extremely long time to reach the ground, so it could actually be falling over you but blowing elsewhere. The same thing can happen where people have reported light snow when theres clear sky over them.

Posted

Whats your current dew point and temp mate?

Normally what with precipitation (snow in particular) is the bigger difference between your dew and temp for example, -0.1c temp and -5 or -6 dew, the less saturation you get, so if any precipitation did fall it would be automatically generally lighter with smaller flakes.

Lewis

well 2 miles east it was snowing heavily so i dont understand! type dn5 and have a look, -4.2c dew here

Posted

well 2 miles east it was snowing heavily so i dont understand! type dn5 and have a look, -4.2c dew here

What i posted happens a lot, and also what reef just posted is another possible reason.

There's certainly no anaprop on the radar, although the more obvious reason is because the showers is loosing its intensity and the energy is a little further North of you.

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Last frame of the Meto Infra red looks like the cloud over the N.Sea is starting to veer more east north east. Couple more hours to be sure but there looks to be a big bank of cloud out there heading into Yorks (the showery block thats been pushing in from the norway coast all day must be a different airmass with the easterly on board and is shunting the cloud bank that is off the coast inland?).

If it is cold continental air will it force convection as it collides with our North seas cloud bank?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

What i posted happens a lot, and also what reef just posted is another possible reason.

There's certainly no anaprop on the radar, although the more obvious reason is because the showers is loosing its intensity and the energy is a little further North of you.

Lewis

lol guy from east doncaster says its heavy again! LOL ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh can see it now, town over the field is starting to disappear slightly! should be here soon now! frustrating though

Posted

Last frame of the Meto Infra red looks like the cloud over the N.Sea is starting to veer more east north east. Couple more hours to be sure but there looks to be a big bank of cloud out there heading into Yorks (the showery block thats been pushing in from the norway coast all day must be a different airmass with the easterly on board and is shunting the cloud bank that is off the coast inland?).

If it is cold continental air will it force convection as it collides with our North seas cloud bank?

Do you reckon it would reach our parts? Not seen any falling snow since Tuesday, it's driving me crazy!

Posted

Heavy snow here now :unknw: looks like it did last night which gave us a covering of 2-3"in a few hours

Posted

wallbash.gif exactly mate (10123) we have missed just about everything this week! so unfair and if it wasnt for the other nite we would just have patches of ice and i think i would have definately been crying!! lol

We have missed out on most this week, but what we got is the heaviest and most persistent snow in Yorkshire so far in this cold spell, the snow depths are no where near as deep in east Yorkshire/ North East Yorkshire. Most places in the east is averaging 10-15cm of snow, while we are averaging 20-35 cm of snow. I know what you mean though is annoying, but what is really unfair is Western areas of Yorkshire have more snow than the east, when the east at first was expected to achieve the most amount of snow.

I don't know what you mean by "we would just have patches of ice", there is zero thaw here except on the roof, so I don't know why you would have patches of ice?

Posted

the sky looks full of it! looks very orange! very heavy ppn so close! but not snowing lol

This is the biggest kick in the balls ever! lol

Edited by Craigers

Posted

We have missed out on most this week, but what we got is the heaviest and most persistent snow in Yorkshire so far in this cold spell, the snow depths are no where near as deep in east Yorkshire/ North East Yorkshire. Most places in the east is averaging 10-15cm of snow, while we are averaging 20-35 cm of snow. I know what you mean though is annoying, but what is really unfair is Western areas of Yorkshire have more snow than the east, when the east at first was expected to achieve the most amount of snow.

I don't know what you mean by "we would just have patches of ice", there is zero thaw here except on the roof, so I don't know why you would have patches of ice?

To add to that, as less cold air filters in from the east late sunday-tuesday, snow showers will turn increasingly sleety towards the coast with a light thaw, with us well inland staying with snow and little thaw :)

Posted

Well, That was great! Still no measurements as stuck at work but reports on radio of gridlock in Scarborough town centre! I think that should be about it for now though. Shame that band is being pushed more inland because we could have had some impressive totals! Maybe I shouldn't be so greedy! smile.gif

Posted

To add to that, as less cold air filters in from the east late sunday-tuesday, snow showers will turn increasingly sleety towards the coast with a light thaw, with us well inland staying with snow and little thaw :)

Not true, it's the other way around :)

The Atlantic try's 2 breakdown scenarios with the milder air pushing in from the West and SW, with the East keeping the coldest air, before the cold air also shifts back west :)

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Actually,i think you will find we are averaging about the same as you, no were near 10-15cm?!?!?! lmao

Edited by R0b

Posted

I measured the snow a short while ago, and it's 12cm and it's currently snowing light.

im happy for you mate!!! you deserved it!! snowing moderate here now :yahoo:

Posted

Not true, it's the other way around smile.gif

The Atlantic try's 2 breakdown scenarios with the milder air pushing in from the West and SW, with the East keeping the coldest air, before the cold air also shifts back west tease.gif

Lewis

lol well we'll have to disagree, it just depends on how far the milder air pushes north east. I doubt it will be much further than west midlands... Before then though, a less cold sector of air will probably embed itself in our easterly flow, causing precipitation to become wetter the nearer towards the coast you are..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Just been outside to move the car and saw a mammoth icicle and ice fall coming from next door's guttering. Hopefully it'll still be there in the morning.

Posted

Woop I think it could snow in leeds in the next 60-90 mins. Certainly looking better than earlier! :yahoo:

Snowing in LS26 now and sky looks quite full