Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

reef

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Snowing here too looks heavier than it really is as the laying snow is getting blown around in those strong easterly winds. Temperature is +1.6°C but dew's are -2.2°C... Windchill is gonna be a major factor today, wrap up well..!!!

Posted

I wonder where John Snow went? He was banging on about a foot of snow a while back, maybe he wasn't so deluded!

Then again if he'd been on here lately he'd probably predict a meter of snow.

Got a shower moving in here now, I'm just happy for the sun to go in for a little to stop the icicles dripping. I guess that's part of the process of making them bigger though.

John Snow was a clear wind up merchant. He was predicting 28 inches of snow when 2.8cm looked likely. He was predicting 9 hours of snow from a band that was clearly going to take an hour to cross. And so on and so on.

He was just looking for gullible people to buy into it, and when there are kids on the forum dreaming of big snow, it wasn't funny.

Just had a nice heavy 5 minute shower there which has put another dusting on the path I just cleared, and there is a fairly long streamer out to sea. Sadly this looks as though it is going to be 10 or so miles north of me. Damn.

Posted

light/moderate snow now in byker

early weather warning issued for n.e. england tomorrow for locally upto 30cm of snowunsure.gif

Posted

early weather warning issued for n.e. england tomorrow for locally upto 30cm of snowunsure.gif

I somehow doubt that and i think that would apply for places for further South. Unfortunately. the met has the same message for all the regions that are under the warning.

It would be nice however to get further snow though but at this moment in time, most of the heavier falls according to the models will be to the south of the region.

Light snow here again but with decent sized flakes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

:drinks:

That would be amazing! If that was true most of the North East would reach a foot, and some of us 2 foot! After that there's still the front midweek which could give a further big dump.

Until I actually see all the PPN on the radar heading for us I will try not to get too excited. Monday morning could be interesting though, I've made it into work in Consett on time all week, maybe that's about to stop next week.

Posted

Just had a nice heavy 5 minute shower there which has put another dusting on the path I just cleared, and there is a fairly long streamer out to sea. Sadly this looks as though it is going to be 10 or so miles north of me. Damn.

Looks like it could be heading Tynesides way !!!... Showers are becoming frequent now.

post-5386-12630415378342_thumb.gif

Sat24.com

Posted

quite heavy hail now in byker, it should be interesting tomorrowdrinks.gif

Posted

Just been snowing really heavy in Darlington, drinks.gif I'm off out with the camera yahoo.gifcold.gif Better not get it too wet like ph34r.gif Never seen snow like this here for years and years and I'm the wrong side of 50 help.gif

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

post-4475-12630430101142_thumb.jpgpost-4475-12630430331742_thumb.jpgpost-4475-12630430506442_thumb.jpgpost-4475-12630430773742_thumb.jpgpost-4475-12630431028642_thumb.jpg

Just a few piccies, this is the coldest start for January since 2003, at the moment my average mean temp is just -2.05c compared with +0.44c in 2003

Longest period of snow lying i have witnessed now since the 18th december , this has to be a record, still cannot get my car out of our drive, been getting taxis to work the last few days Brrrrrr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Very heavy shower here now, heaviest I've seen for a few days.

Just clearing now but that must have put down another cm or two.

That looks like the last of the heavy ones for a while, but the next lot could be more persistent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

There's been light to moderate graupel and snow all morning. Now we have a heavy shower with big flakes, it's building up cover rapidly and from the looks of the radar some more showers should come in.

Posted

That warning from The Met Office for Sunday night and Monday morning, no chance chaps.

Ive just looked at that! Would be good if it did come off! Wed have nearly half a meter then! :closedeyes: what if theyve spotted something...

SNOW PLOUGHS AT THE READY CHAPS!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Ive just looked at that! Would be good if it did come off! Wed have nearly half a meter then! :closedeyes: what if theyve spotted something...

SNOW PLOUGHS AT THE READY CHAPS!

I can't help but be reminded of 2nd->3rd February last year, up to 30cm was forecast then with emergency flash warnings but we ended up with rain and sleet at lower levels which completely washed away the lying snow from the earlier showers. The GFS shows snow getting down to 200m, and I can't help but think that below this height a thaw will set in to turn next week into a slushy mess. Would LOVE to be wrong though.

Posted

Heavy snow here, temperature dropping off rapidly too. Visible sat images show plenty of snow to come..

Posted

A few bursts of light - moderate snow here ahead of a rather ominous looking snow shower :shok:

Posted

Still just a few light flakes of snow bu the sky to my east is getting progressively darker.

Posted

Is the Met Office radar playing up? Precipitation isn't disappearing or anything, but lots of showers during today seem to have got suddenly more intense or suddenly lighter at the same time on the radar? The shower which is slowly moving in here seems to have suddenly got heavier on the 14:30 radar for example.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Light snow here but looks like there's another hefty one coming in.

I;ve been out measuring and struggling to find any level areas less than 10", some areas up to 11". A very very good cover and more since Feb '91.

As for tomorrow/Monday I'm not sure why they're forecasting so much snow. It seems ultra cautious to me which may suggest it'll be a non-event but I'm ready to be proved wrong!

Posted

Light snow here but looks like there's another hefty one coming in.

I;ve been out measuring and struggling to find any level areas less than 10", some areas up to 11". A very very good cover and more since Feb '91.

As for tomorrow/Monday I'm not sure why they're forecasting so much snow. It seems ultra cautious to me which may suggest it'll be a non-event but I'm ready to be proved wrong!

I think 10cm is quite plausible, the percipitation never really moves anywhere very fast... temps even at the coast are only going to rise to say 3 degrees.... which fills me with the thought we may be lucky...

On the other hand i have tracked down my 30cm ruler and im pleased to reprt so far we have exactly 20cm of snow here! Very impressive! If we get another 10cm tomorrow night i may need to buy a bigger ruler!

Very impressed with this cold spell now, and if wed had 20cm from the start then i wouldnt of complained about the lack of snow, but now i am over the moon! :blink: Bring on Sunday!

SM06

Posted

bbc news forecast just on showed a lot of snow for us late tomorrow quote 'very heavy snow in northern england' the graphics backed this which interestingly showed the precipitation in the north sea as snow, which is promising for those who live at the coast who were worried about the warming effect of the searolleyes.gif

moderate snow now in byker,rolleyes.gif

been out and about today never seen so many large icicles in my life!unsure.gif

Posted

Well wasn't expecting muh today. Had a walk to the gym at 12 (still can't get the car dug out) and it was blue skies. Came out at 1330 and it was pelting down. Still going now but intensity varies from time to time.