Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Snow starting properly again, the snow shower(s) keep looking like being belters but never last longer than a minute, and are always 'about to arrive properly'. It looks a bit more promising this time though.

Edit: Sky clearer to my NE, still black to my E and SE so maybe I've been on the northern edge of some pokey showers?

Edited by alza

Posted

been out and about today never seen so many large icicles in my life!unsure.gif

Ive got loads of mini icicles on the bottom of my car! They look awesome!

:blink:

SM06

PS I love the fact this topic is so quite, no one else has any snow to keep them occupied so they are on the gorum whereas we have plenty to keep all of our members occupied! GO NE!

Edited by SNOW-MAN2006

Posted

Can anyone comment on the Met Office warning for tomorrow night?

What are we looking at for this? Is what is currently shown over Europe moving up the coast and hitting the NE?

Are we expecting a quiet night here tonight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Anymore snow coming for tonight or tommorrow :) and met office warning i nearly fell out of my chair now i know they get some stick but they must have reasonable confidence to put that warning up imo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I have a feeling that temperatures will be similar to the 2nd January event. I remember that in Cleadon on that occasion, it initially snowed with temperatures of 0.9C and some topping up of the snow cover we already had from New Year's Day, but then the wind picked up off the North Sea and the snow turned very wet, resulting in the snow cover thawing slowly and turning slushy.

I think inland parts of the region, especially high ground, may see a topup of the current snow cover, but near the east coast the snow cover will probably thaw slightly and turn slushy. Somewhere around 5-10 miles inland will probably be the boundary.

Posted

I have a feeling that temperatures will be similar to the 2nd January event. I remember that in Cleadon on that occasion, it initially snowed with temperatures of 0.9C and some topping up of the snow cover we already had from New Year's Day, but then the wind picked up off the North Sea and the snow turned very wet, resulting in the snow cover thawing slowly and turning slushy.

I think inland parts of the region, especially high ground, may see a topup of the current snow cover, but near the east coast the snow cover will probably thaw slightly and turn slushy. Somewhere around 5-10 miles inland will probably be the boundary.

im 8miles and I remember your post before so i should be okay JUST :D Can you see why met has put these warnings up? already have 10cm-20cm anymore and ill be close to a foot!

Posted

I personally think that we've seen the back end of the really cold weather, despite the high over Scandinavia etc... the Met Office have the NE down for increasingly comparatively mild temperatures over the next few days.... 3'C by late Sunday, 4'C throughout by Wednesday.

My link

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

im 8miles and I remember your post before so i should be okay JUST :wallbash: Can you see why met has put these warnings up? already have 10cm-20cm anymore and ill be close to a foot!

To cover their backsides in case it turns out to be at the severe end of the range of possibilities. I don't think you will see much in the way of accumulations from this- you may even be a little too near the coast, though you should be far inland enough to keep any thaw to a minimum.

Posted

To cover their backsides in case it turns out to be at the severe end of the range of possibilities. I don't think you will see much in the way of accumulations from this- you may even be a little too near the coast, though you should be far inland enough to keep any thaw to a minimum.

Okay mate :wallbash: do you think i will see any more snow tonight , tommorrow and next week? :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

I personally think that we've seen the back end of the really cold weather, despite the high over Scandinavia etc... the Met Office have the NE down for increasingly comparatively mild temperatures over the next few days.... 3'C by late Sunday, 4'C throughout by Wednesday.

My link

Dont believe that. Last Monday they had 6`C here for today and its not got above -3.6!

Posted

Made use of the snow drifts in the garden today to help me defrost the freezer. Been wanting to do it for ages but could never get the freezer emptied. Just bagged everything up today and buried it in one of the drifts. 3 hours later I dug the bag out and everything was still nicely frozen solid.

Posted

Made use of the snow drifts in the garden today to help me defrost the freezer. Been wanting to do it for ages but could never get the freezer emptied. Just bagged everything up today and buried it in one of the drifts. 3 hours later I dug the bag out and everything was still nicely frozen solid.

yup, i did this too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

That is one way to use the cold spell to your advantage :good: Had a lot of snow overnight in Peterlee. The snow stopped in the early hours and this was followed by showers. I could not sleep and at around 4.30am there was a couple of flashes of lightning just before the end of a snow shower.The day was cloudy with odd bright spells and showers, mainly light ones although we had a heavier one with large flakes around 3.30pm.Deep snow on the ground now! :rolleyes:

Posted

what depths has everyone got now? i think we need an update.

about 7 inches here in newcastle

Posted

Snowing moderatly in Spennymoor, has been since around 15.30.The roads where a nightmare this morning on my way to work. I decided to set off early at 04.00. Did get the accolade of being the first person in the fresh untouched outside lane of the A1 between Carville and Chester-le-Street :hi: Less snow at Washington than here and dare I say a very "slight" thaw had set in when I left for home at 15.00. Idiot halfwit gritter nearly put my windscreen out between Bowburn and Tursdale, the fool though it'd be great to rid the middle of the road of all the slushy snow, by piling down the middle towards me, throwing it against the car. Like being hit by a thousand snowballs all at once. Ohh, I'd have liked a quiet word. Up same time in the morning for another fun filled drive to work. I must be mad :clap::80:

Edited by DJovengloves

Posted

24cm here, just under 10 inches.

Posted

30cm here. [Yesterdays measurement of 26" was a bit off, of course I meant 26cm :) ]These taken by the wifey this morning in the back garden:

post-10889-12630630919742_thumb.jpg

post-10889-12630631020742_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hi guys, very little snow today, just the odd shower lasting a few minutes, the wind has picked up alot and is dragging the temp up with it, far less cold than its been the last two days, I think we have seen our lot for the current spell now, lets just see how long this snow cover will last's. I also seen the sky weather report and they had our part of the north east been 4 degrees tomorow and monday, well through experience of the weather round my way, if thats the case then we will deffo get rain if there is any ppn about.

Posted

BBC forcast looks good for all of tommorrow evening and monday (Y) and dave it wont go above 0C mate on the forcast it showed 0c for northern england

BBC forcast looks good for all of tommorrow evening and monday (Y) and dave it wont go above 0C mate on the forcast it showed 0c for northern england

Just watched that...erm did he mention the B word blizzards...for Pennine areas?

Posted

I think it will get up to 2 or 3 degrees tomorrow within about 10 miles of the coast, tonight will be less cold thank to the easterly winds so the higher starting point will allow the temperature to rise high enough to initiate a slow thaw before it refreezes. If the sleet and snow arrives during tomorrow night the temperature might be low enough to keep it on the right side of marginal, and we could see some significant snowfall. If it arrives during daylight hours there could be a problem.

Posted

I think it will get up to 2 or 3 degrees tomorrow within about 10 miles of the coast, tonight will be less cold thank to the easterly winds so the higher starting point will allow the temperature to rise high enough to initiate a slow thaw before it refreezes. If the sleet and snow arrives during tomorrow night the temperature might be low enough to keep it on the right side of marginal, and we could see some significant snowfall. If it arrives during daylight hours there could be a problem.

I think i should be fine 8miles from the coast and this will definately call school off it materialises! biggrin.gif VERY ANGRY NOW THOUGH THE SNOW DIDNT COMPACT AND SNOW COVER WERE PEEPS HAVE WALKED HAS DECREASED

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

lets hope it stays away during the daylight hours alza, Plus the snow cover will help keep the temps down, its clear here now and The snow is starting to sparkle so the temp must be slipping away despite the wind coming in from the coast, if it stays clear I think we can forget about seeing temps above 0, which is what we want.

Posted

I think i should be fine 8miles from the coast and this will definately call school off it materialises! :whistling:

8 miles from the coast might be fine, but then again in might not be. As TWS said earlier (I think) it could end up like the 2nd Jan where the precipitation mostly fell as wet snow with a few bursts of sleet it was too wet to stick and melted some of the snow already on the ground. Imo this could happen again, and I find it worrying that the GFS snow risk charts show a 50% risk of snow at 200-300m. I would've hoped that the hills at least would be seeing a much higher risk than that! It implies that the whole thing could be freezing rain, even on the hills if it goes wrong :rofl: