Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

your just gonna have to watch teh radar mate.

The ppn keeps dying out and starting again. so the only real way to tell i sjust watch :D

True...it was just to talk a bit and get some opinions around... :D

Posted

Do you guys think this band of ppn on reading now is gonna reach us...? From here not sure it is snow thou...? :whistling:;)

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Leon

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

The 8 pm Thames streamer departing Chelmsford will stop at Luton for refueling. Estimated time of arrival for Cheltenham and Gloucester stations approx 22.30. Further fuel may be taken on board in the Cotswolds.

John in Quedgeley, Gloucester

Edited by gloucesterlad

Posted

post-5488-12631577822142_thumb.gif

Please see above for the latest possibility on the snowfall event on Tuesday into Wednesday. Note the tracking of the low is still uncertain, therefore the precise locations remain moderate signal at best in those areas outlined 4. I'll be releasing another one tomorrow at some point.

Note a signal for snowfall primarily to higher ground across parts of Devon - also for areas in and around Bristol wrapping around the M4 corridor W quadrant into parts of E Gloucestershire into areas South of Birmingham and generally West of the main City. Those in 4 with the highest signal for disruption based on latest guidance is Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Shropshire including much of Central and North Wales.

Although the latest models indicate a risk for other parts of the North West and into parts of Hampshire this signal is relatively weak at present. Note there is scope for the areas East of the Dartmoor area currently assigned a 1 to attain 2 or 3 subject to the next few NAE and GFS guidance releases.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Regardsing tues/weds.

Unless some colder air gets its ass here over the next few days i cant see it being snow here.

yes i suppose with heavier PPn it may increase chances but considering it was mostly rain today until around 5ish.....

Just hope this easterly brings some colder air with it over the next day or so.

t2mGloucestershire.png

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

I can see that precip pepping up for this area - gfs shows moderate 700mb vv at 9pm over this area - by midnight theres no lift (IMBY Cirencester) so then we'd be looking for orographic lift to kick off showers only imo, but we'll see - i'd imagine this paramaters not so acurate on a global model like the gfs anyway..

Posted

Who fancies going in with a new business venture with me?, We could buy some 4x4's and nip Dorset folk across every neighbouring county on snow viewing tours! rofl.gif

Cracking idea. I'll do the commentary.

Yar, legend aaas it that beyond the borders of Daaarset there lies a land where the children spend their days building men from a peculiar white powdery substance that falls from the heavens. Come aboard me hearties! And let us go to a place where life stands still and the air is filled with the sounds of laughter and fun from dawn till dusk!

OK, I've gone a bit 'piratey' for some reason but you get the gist... :D

Souvenirs snowballs, £1.50 each?

Edited by s4lancia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

And in the summer we could go the other way and bring the outsiders back in loldrinks.gif

And ship them up to the Square and Compass! Seems to be lots of fellow cider drinkers on this site! I havn't been looking at weather updates - whats it saying now? unknw.gif

Posted

Eyes down for the 18z - lets see more south easterly winds for Tues, with the low sinking slightly further south please.

Has anyone seen this radar, its very good:

Nice radar

Edited by Paul T

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Still got snow falling here... thats 19 hours of snowfall... albeit the mostly light stuff but promising non the less, its also rather chilly out still! -1.9C and winds at 6mph from the NE.

Posted

I can see that precip pepping up for this area - gfs shows moderate 700mb vv at 9pm over this area - by midnight theres no lift (IMBY Cirencester) so then we'd be looking for orographic lift to kick off showers only imo, but we'll see - i'd imagine this paramaters not so acurate on a global model like the gfs anyway..

yes there is some pepping up already, maybe even more once it hits the Cotsworld hills

post-3696-12631595330042_thumb.txt

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Eyes down for the 18z - lets see more south easterly winds for Tues, with the low sinking slightly further south please.

Has anyone seen this radar, its very good:

Nice radar

It would be even nicer if it showed some ppn around Trowbridge!! :)

Had didly-squat all day!

Posted

Dartmoor (matt)

The GFS has been obsessed over the last few days with giving this little ppn to Devon from midnight tonight

09:00 Mon

all day...

18:00 Mon

Strange one, but if it happend, Dartmoor would get anouth few inches?!

It is never far away from where the ppn actually is....

Posted

I am feeling sad tonight, after waiting for years we finally got a 1-2 cm covering last week and after continuous light rain from 5pm it has all been washed away,

I am trying not to moan as I do appreciate how lucky we were to see any snow and the peeps that have seen nothing have all my sympathy.

However I am still sad.

The temp has risen to a balmy 3.2 and dew point is -0.8. Can anyone tell me if the temp is likely to drop or is this a foreboding sign for Tuesday?

Posted

I am feeling sad tonight, after waiting for years we finally got a 1-2 cm covering last week and after continuous light rain from 5pm it has all been washed away,

I am trying not to moan as I do appreciate how lucky we were to see any snow and the peeps that have seen nothing have all my sympathy.

However I am still sad.

The temp has risen to a balmy 3.2 and dew point is -0.8. Can anyone tell me if the temp is likely to drop or is this a foreboding sign for Tuesday?

The temps are only going one way (up) the chances of snow for tuesday for us is close to zero in my view.

South West Devon? newton? noss? wembury?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Dartmoor (matt)

The GFS has been obsessed over the last few days with giving this little ppn to Devon from midnight tonight

09:00 Mon

all day...

18:00 Mon

Strange one, but if it happend, Dartmoor would get anouth few inches?!

It is never far away from where the ppn actually is....

Thats pretty interesting, the BBC did show a patch of snow over Dartmoor for tomorrow, albeit pretty faint... we shall see hehe.

Be good to wake up to another few inches of snow.

Edit: I think we will see lower temps tomorrow.

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

post-5488-12631577822142_thumb.gif

Please see above for the latest possibility on the snowfall event on Tuesday into Wednesday. Note the tracking of the low is still uncertain, therefore the precise locations remain moderate signal at best in those areas outlined 4. I'll be releasing another one tomorrow at some point.

Note a signal for snowfall primarily to higher ground across parts of Devon - also for areas in and around Bristol wrapping around the M4 corridor W quadrant into parts of E Gloucestershire into areas South of Birmingham and generally West of the main City. Those in 4 with the highest signal for disruption based on latest guidance is Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Shropshire including much of Central and North Wales.

Although the latest models indicate a risk for other parts of the North West and into parts of Hampshire this signal is relatively weak at present. Note there is scope for the areas East of the Dartmoor area currently assigned a 1 to attain 2 or 3 subject to the next few NAE and GFS guidance releases.

18Z follows the same pattern, in fact closer to the above outlined risk :rolleyes:

Edited by Thermohaline Conveyor

Posted

Cracking idea. I'll do the commentary.

Yar, legend aaas it that beyond the borders of Daaarset there lies a land where the children spend their days building men from a peculiar white powdery substance that falls from the heavens. Come aboard me hearties! And let us go to a place where life stands still and the air is filled with the sounds of laughter and fun from dawn till dusk!

OK, I've gone a bit 'piratey' for some reason but you get the gist... biggrin.gif

Souvenirs snowballs, £1.50 each?

We may laugh but just think the way we are going in years to come we could be telling our Grandchildren about the great winter of Dorset in 2010 when we had a huge 1cm of snow, if that S4 is yours by the way nice car but better leave that to another forum!drinks.gif

Posted

Might get something later on (not much though I guess) - some PPN just entering Basingstoke on our heading

I'll keep an eye out for it then!... Cheers!...

Hope I'm not in the wrong spot (again!) for the Tuesday/Wednesday event... :rolleyes:

Posted

looks like a pepped up band of precip heading towards you Pat.

yes Sam was correct,it must be under 10 miles from me mate.

Just checked outside for flake's but nothing at present. :rolleyes: