Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 20:

Methuselah

Posted

Very raw this morning strong SE wind, overcast, 2c and still significant scars of snow making it look and feel like real midwinter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

'Orrible here this morning because it's raining! Temps: 2.6oC Dewpoints 1.7oC with wind from the ENE. Overnights aren't that inspiring either!

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Damp and dreary here too! only light drizzle at times. But just generally very dull!

Bring back the snow!

Damp and dreary here too! only light drizzle at times. But just generally very dull!

Bring back the snow!

Patchy cold rain here too, although the hills to my south-west appear to have had some snow overnight, above about 1,000ft.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Bring back the snow!

Judging from the charts/models very mixed messages..........guess we will do what we always do......wait and see!! Nothing seems certain until about 48 hours before.

3C and dull here too.

Edited by Gilly

Posted

06z is a better run than 12z but too much uncertainty with the modelling to hold out any hope of it coming off. We do pull in a NE/E come Sunday, courtesy of a low developing in lower North Sea (I think) which advects -10 uppers very close to our shores:

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

06Z GFS doing what the JMA suggested last night, and what GP has been hinting at for a while - but getting there in a different way. Polar vortex moving to our northeast - meaning disrupted northerly winds from the end of next week.... Hubba :unknw:

post-1217-12639850103428_thumb.png

06Z GFS doing what the JMA suggested last night, and what GP has been hinting at for a while - but getting there in a different way. Polar vortex moving to our northeast - meaning disrupted northerly winds from the end of next week.... Hubba :)

"disrupted northerly winds": Does that mean there was the wrong kind of snow in the air causing traffic jams?? :)

Good to see there are lots of chances of cold showing in the models, although I could do with getting some studying done :winky:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

:winky: Robbie - I'm only able to enjoy this so much as I'm off work with a bad back!

This all seems a very similar evolution to the third/fourth week of December, but with a less potent easterly to start with then winds backing round to the north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

06Z GFS doing what the JMA suggested last night, and what GP has been hinting at for a while - but getting there in a different way. Polar vortex moving to our northeast - meaning disrupted northerly winds from the end of next week.... Hubba :)

post-1217-12639850103428_thumb.png

That's looking a bit better for us up-here Shuggs...And, once those types of synoptics become established, they can be very long-lived...Watch for the Arctic Terns? :whistling:

Posted

Pete, people at work were saying that there have been a number of Sea Eagles spotted on Loch Leven over the past few weeks. Very unusual and very impressive birds.

Posted

Noticed today and yesterday that did not need to bed the cattle with so much straw. We are getting to the time of year when humidities start to fall(pneumonia risk in cattle also falls with dryer air) and things begin to dry better,with not much rain and a very slow thaw the ground is not too wet either. Another thing is the daylight is stretching and snow looks even better in stronger light along with the sky and the clouds.Refilled the barn with 100 bales of outside straw to dry out yesterday just as we did in early December on the basis of some of the model chat on here as I cannot believe winter is finished with us yet.

:) Robbie - I'm only able to enjoy this so much as I'm off work with a bad back!

This all seems a very similar evolution to the third/fourth week of December, but with a less potent easterly to start with then winds backing round to the north.

I hope your back gets better soon and that it's nothing too serious :)

The northerlies look quite interesting, long way to go before then though :( Lots of dreich rubbish to get through too!

Edit: It would appear to be sleeting outside :whistling:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Dewpoints dropped to 1.oC here so if they continue on a downward trend, we may pick up a bit of sleety snow if there is any precipitation around.

Noticed today and yesterday that did not need to bed the cattle with so much straw. We are getting to the time of year when humidities start to fall(pneumonia risk in cattle also falls with dryer air) and things begin to dry better,with not much rain and a very slow thaw the ground is not too wet either. Another thing is the daylight is stretching and snow looks even better in stronger light along with the sky and the clouds.Refilled the barn with 100 bales of outside straw to dry out yesterday just as we did in early December on the basis of some of the model chat on here as I cannot believe winter is finished with us yet.

Sounds like a lot of hard work NL! I hope your cows appreciate you :whistling::)

You must curse the cold weather at times as it seems to bring you a lot more work than normal.

Posted

Didn't see News24forecast but heard it. They appear quite confident of some snow for eastern Scotland tomorrow pm? Wil have to tune in on next one.

Didn't see News24forecast but heard it. They appear quite confident of some snow for eastern Scotland tomorrow pm? Wil have to tune in on next one.

The latest BBC online forecast pulled out of going past 4pm tomorrow. I wonder what the BBC One O'clock forecast will show. Is it just me or is the weather really boring just now??

Posted

Sounds like a lot of hard work NL! I hope your cows appreciate you :rofl::)

You must curse the cold weather at times as it seems to bring you a lot more work than normal.

Not really as I have always said I must have some Norse ancestry as I have always been cheered up by snow. Spent many autumns preparing for bad wether and in the last 20 plus or so years it never seemed to come but this year and last year have been different and my autumn preparations have been needed. All feed and bedding brought close to buildings for easy utilisation. Apart from the sheep I am mostly inside feeding and bedding cattle so not too exposed to the weather although all the animals consume more in bad weather and that is extra work.

Posted

The latest BBC online forecast pulled out of going past 4pm tomorrow. I wonder what the BBC One O'clock forecast will show. Is it just me or is the weather really boring just now??

No, it's not just you. I've got the screaming ab-dabs continually watching that carrot swinging in front of me! I liked the look of the 6oz this morning but the way things are at the moment with model inconsistency, it is just as dodgy today in producing that outcome as yesterday's lot were with the opposite outcome! We can only keep watching and hoping tho'. Perhaps we might get lucky tomorrow evening as News24 is still forecasting some snow for the central belt? :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Hi SL2 i thought most of snow more likely on higher ground. I doubt we'll see much here.

Looks like heavy rain though and pretty windy too!!

Hope your lucky in Fife!!

Hi SL2 i thought most of snow more likely on higher ground. I doubt we'll see much here.

Looks like heavy rain though and pretty windy too!!

Hope your lucky in Fife!!

Mmmmmm, heavy rain!! I actually really like rain, especially when we've not had much for a while. The place could do with a good wash too.

Posted

The showers have turned to sleet here, just a little colder and be snow. Fingers crossed.