Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 7

Posted

Hi all,

If GFS 12z pulls off, we could be looking at a decent snow event for our region on Friday.

[Kold Weather] Certainly an interesting evolution progged by the GFS, a low forms and in this flow its really not all that unlikely either...

A very rainy day for the west and south, but very good snowfall for East Anglia NW towards the NE of England, areas west/south of that probably just rain and sleet and maybe some backedge snow.

For a countrywide event you need the low to develop a little later, the early Jan event was nearly perfect with the timings in that respect.

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

The latest GFS would suggest persistent snow showers on Monday for Norfolk. Needs watching as it could develop into a heavy localised snow event, particularly for the north-east of the county. Still too far away to forecast with any confidence though.

Posted

Well if GFS 12z verified, we would be in freeze number 2. Truly amazing, a 5 day northerly then a possible Beasterly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

What a beautiful sunset tonight, hopefully means a delightfully bright and cold day tomorrow !

Are we going to get any icing on the very cold cake ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Well if GFS 12z verified, we would be in freeze number 2. Truly amazing, a 5 day northerly then a possible Beasterly!

Just seen that myself mate, ECM 12z on board also, 3 days ago we had a brief northerly then mild dross. The upgrade

is AMAZING I think I may be dreaming. If we get the beast back after the northerly how long do you think it will last for ?

drinks.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifclap.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifdrinks.gif

Posted

Look East at 6.45 (the Lady) said significant snow fall for thursday night for us - nearly dropped the mug of coffee!!!!

Julie?

Thought she said for western parts of the region.

just to introduce myself

Based in Hitchin, Herts, I thought I would join the forum with potentially interesting weather developing over the next few days.

It would be good to see three significant cold spells this winter, not that it has really ever warmed up since mid december.

I hope I can be a useful contributor

Aien

Posted

Hi everyone,

Heavy Snow forecast for Luton on Friday (BBC).

Hi, its hard to point point at the moment where the PPN is going to fall on Friday, but that is just a small starter of what could be a truly amazing cold spell for us :blink:

Just seen that myself mate, ECM 12z on board also, 3 days ago we had a brief northerly then mild dross. The upgrade

is AMAZING I think I may be dreaming. If we get the beast back after the northerly how long do you think it will last for ?

drinks.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifclap.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifdrinks.gif

Im not joking when Im saying this. The ECM charts look very similar to Feb 1947. If it pulls off, a lot of snow will fall. If it pulls off its gonna last a long time...

Edited by Snowman0697

What I find fascinating is that only 48 hours ago we were talking about a NNw/N outbreak which effectively just flirted with the east of the UK for one or two days to something far more wintry and potentially long lasting. I would have thought if there is any substance to the growing cold threat that METO warnings would be posted by now

Hi, its hard to point point at the moment where the PPN is going to fall on Friday, but that is just a small starter of what could be a truly amazing cold spell for us drinks.gif

Im not joking when Im saying this. The ECM charts look very similar to Feb 1947. If it pulls off, a lot of snow will fall. If it pulls off its gonna last a long time...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

just to introduce myself

Based in Hitchin, Herts, I thought I would join the forum with potentially interesting weather developing over the next few days.

It would be good to see three significant cold spells this winter, not that it has really ever warmed up since mid december.

I hope I can be a useful contributor

Aien

Hello aien aristeuein, and welcome to the forum. biggrin.gif

Seems like you guys/gals are going to be in for a real wintry treat for this next period of very chilly weather.

Posted

Im mildly excited.... but had my fingers burnt before!! So im remaining quietly confident!!

Welcome to AA, my Dad lives in Hitchin, love the place :clap: My brother one of chefs at The Orange Tree :lol: xxx

Posted

surprised not more posts in here given that in a little over 48 hrs we have a potential snow event (albeit marginal)for esp the west of our region?

Not to worry this forum is gearing up for a very very busy period if not over the weekend then perhaps next week because something might be happening to our weather in the next 7 days that may have to make the history books to be re written. :crazy: :crazy:

Thanks mrsf16

Lovely place Hitchin - but I would be biased!!

On the weather out to the weekend, this mornings GFS seems to suggest rain thursday to friday, no doubt we will have wait and see what falls out of the sky. After that well you wouldn,t want to call it this morning. Looks it could go bitter cold or settled and not too cold depending on what the outcome in the 120 to 140 time frame is.

Im mildly excited.... but had my fingers burnt before!! So im remaining quietly confident!!

Welcome to AA, my Dad lives in Hitchin, love the place smile.gif My brother one of chefs at The Orange Tree smile.gif xxx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Blimey..I've just heard the 'S' word mentioned on GMTV for Sunday - there must be a reasonable amount of confidence that this is going to happen, they dont normally seem to give out warnings that far in advance. I will change channels now and see what the beeb are saying. Perhaps I will do my food shopping on Friday instead of waiting until Monday morning...just in case !

Blimey..I've just heard the 'S' word mentioned on GMTV for Sunday - there must be a reasonable amount of confidence that this is going to happen, they dont normally seem to give out warnings that far in advance. I will change channels now and see what the beeb are saying. Perhaps I will do my food shopping on Friday instead of waiting until Monday morning...just in case !

If the GFS 6h verifies then sunday morning could be very snowy, the friday event looks plain wet and cold

Posted

Just a quick hello, as I'm another new member of NW.

Been reading the posts on here for some months now, and I have to say that I've learnt alot in that time.

Thanks to those who take time to explain the more complex side of weather forecasting to novices like myself.

Love the cold and snow, but does not make training for marathons easy!!

Edited by Barrow Meter