Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

No snow in Preston this morning. A bit of hail on the cars when i got up but its clear all the way up to Lancaster not a flake in sight.

Same here, though a few cars did have snow on them this morning.

Posted

Same here, though a few cars did have snow on them this morning.

All change now, my wife has just told me its now snowing quite heavily in Preston. That fax chart does look "interesting" too.

Posted

Left a slight covering of snow in Oldham, snowed on my way to work, but soon as I got in Manchester it was slushy and melting.

Posted

Left a slight covering of snow in Oldham, snowed on my way to work, but soon as I got in Manchester it was slushy and melting.

covering of snow up the top of Buxton Road towards the Cat and Fiddle this morning. hardly newsworthy this winter though!)

Posted

Was still awake last night when the heavy rain turned to hail, then massive flakes of snow, which stuck readily to roads. Was surprised to find a decent covering this am. Just taken some pics at 10:30 & its currently 1.5oC

post-3616-12663158071817_thumb.jpg

post-3616-12663158215717_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Charts for Monday look very good, many places could be in for 6 inches + if that comes off.

Not been on for a while but I thought id pop in to let you all know .. that dispite no warnings on meto currently since 4.30 am this morning weve had heavy snow on and off and currently its around 3 or 4 inches deep and decent sized flakes ... good stuff !

I can't help but think that your measurement is somewhat over exagerated. Other people from Oldham have reported 2-3cm, people who live in the Pennines have only reported 2 inches, and you say you have 4 inches? (10cm)

You sure?

Posted

Charts for Monday look very good, many places could be in for 6 inches + if that comes off.

I can't help but think that your measurement is somewhat over exagerated. Other people from Oldham have reported 2-3cm, people who live in the Pennines have only reported 2 inches, and you say you have 4 inches? (10cm)

You sure?

The pictures from saddleworth do suggest to me around three to four inches, maybe around three anyhow. What is a little exaggeration between friends in all the excitement anyway?

You sure?

SM lives VERY High up so i wouldnt be at all suprosed if he got that much.Its mostly melted here as youd

expect in mid feb in this airmass.

Must not grumble tho i wasnt expecting anything!

Posted

Pleasantly surprised woke up to a slight covering on cars and roofs this morning. Majority of it has now gone but still nice to see! Monday looks really good if it actually came off! rolleyes.gif

Edited by NW_Blackburn

Posted

Pleasantly surprised woke up to a slight covering on cars and roofs this morning. Majority of it has now gone but still nice to see! Monday looks really good if it actually came off! rolleyes.gif

Surprised me too, any showers last night, where showing to be in the South of the region. I wouldn't be surprised ( again ) if Thursday/ Friday, brought some significant snow to the region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Nice covering of snow here too, about an inch at this level. There were some very big flakes coming down last night.

Posted

Very strange, temperature has just gone from almost 6c to 4.9c without any precip falling!

:D

You do have to laugh at Wunderground's forecasts!

Monday Chance of Rain. Scattered Clouds. High: 11 °C . Wind WSW 32 km/h . Chance of precipitation 40% (water equivalent of 6.51 mm). Windchill: 1 °C .

Monday Night Chance of Snow. Partly Cloudy. Low: 9 °C . Wind SW 21 km/h . Chance of precipitation 40% (water equivalent of 4.26 mm). Windchill: -4 °C .

Posted

Localised showers brewing up at the moment appear to be giving some quite heavy snow just now in the Rochdale area.

Certainly is Ive just been over here ....

www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/webcams/camera.shtml?h=han&camid=31751&region=SD&mapregion=bbc_new_northwest

Posted

Localised showers brewing up at the moment appear to be giving some quite heavy snow just now in the Rochdale area.

According to the BBC im due one around 3pm. Fingers crossed cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

just heavy sleet

Posted

Just had a hail shower which shatters the meaning of heavy. It was more than torrential, it covered the motorway within seconds, and made the temperature go down over 3c in a matter of 3-4 mins.

Posted

Just had a hail shower which shatters the meaning of heavy. It was more than torrential, it covered the motorway within seconds, and made the temperature go down over 3c in a matter of 3-4 mins.

I could see that cloud burst, Backtrack from Speke! It stayed away from us though, it's sunny and bright here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

We seem to be having a bit everything here today. We just had a shower that started as rain then turned to sleet then to heavy hail.

And now graupel! everythings turning white again...

Edited by James M

Posted

I could see that cloud burst, Backtrack from Speke! It stayed away from us though, it's sunny and bright here!

A really dark cloud which would of been heavy hailstone missed here by a mere 5 miles. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

current temp 1.1c DP -1c nice showers developing west cumbria heading this way looking at met o radar certaimly will be wintry at this temp

Posted

current temp 1.1c DP -1c nice showers developing west cumbria heading this way looking at met o radar certaimly will be wintry at this temp

Apart from the lightest of showers hardly anything fell from the sky here today, very surprised to see so little precipitation all the activity seemed to be over Lancashire, guess the very slack winds haven't helped. Still the hills have had a very hefty fall of snow overnight with the snowline down to about 350m, I note Helvellyn has seen fresh 50cm cover in the past 48 hours or so.

Hoping we may catch a surprise shower overnight but very much doubt it, think coastal areas only.

My attention is turning to Thursday, chance we could see some snow from this front moving back north but will it just clip us and then move east? we seem to be in a snow shield in recent weeks, with no proper snowfalls, the weekend is looking much more favourable though as we see this flabby low dissapear to the east allowing trough features to penetrate across us.