Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

The start of the 18z looks really good for the start of the week for our area, with some quite widespread snow showers. Although snow threat moves towards the east for the middle part.

GFS 18z gives snow over thw whole region by 0300 Monday,just dont see it myself

C.S

Posted

GFS 18z gives snow over thw whole region by 0300 Monday,just dont see it myself

C.S

It's good to hear all your different opinions and updates. I thought it was just going to be Backtrack and me today!

Although I'd rather have snow next week, dry, frosty days with sunshine are a good second.

Posted

Good morning

After looking at the models this morning,here is what i think will happen in the NW

starting from Mon-Thurs

Mainly dry and sunny 25% chance of isoltaed snow flurries Temps max 5c down to around -4c overnight

Thurs-sat Snow showers becoming more widespread and starting to effect more parts of the region

After this not sure but the models suggest from Sat a northerly outbreak and snow becoming a feature over

many parts of the country,of course this is all in FI and might not happen

so far now next 5 days mainly dry and sunny

C.S

Posted

Only me on here this morning?

anyway GFS 06z gives snow on and off all day Monday for NW Englandwhistling.gif

C.S

Posted

It is chopping and changing even at this short range CS, i will go with snow showers for most of the day. As we move into tuesday they will begin to die away, till around midweek.

Morning

will see what country file says in 15 Mins lol

i am not convinced by GFS at all

C.S

Posted

To be honest CS neither am i, and going by the latest forecast online it was mainly bright. I will try and update my forecast after work (10.30 tonight :rolleyes:). However it will only be short as im up early for work lmao. So i hope any snow holds off till around 6.30pm tomorrow lmao.

Posted

To be honest CS neither am i, and going by the latest forecast online it was mainly bright. I will try and update my forecast after work (10.30 tonight sad.gif). However it will only be short as im up early for work lmao. So i hope any snow holds off till around 6.30pm tomorrow lmao.

Just seen the countryfile weather as i suspected really not much happening until at least Fri for our region,

and then snow showers will start spreading accross.Wed night looks good for Eastern areas with some heavy snow

but the graphics showed snow not crossing the pennines.

To sum up

Cold and sunny Mon-Thurs

Fri onwards snow showers or longer spells of snow expected

So chin up snow on the way BUT nothing of intrest until weekend

C.S

Posted

I always take the country file as a pinch of salt anyways. It's a long range forecast, and most of the time it's wrong as the weather can change in 24 hours. I remember the January cold spell, they predicted flurries, and we all know what occured then.

Posted

Short term chance of the odd snow flurry in the NW but not much else I suspect. Mid week chance of a trough feature possibly making inroads from the east, but most snow action will be reserved for east of the Pennines. It will be a case of nowcasting and watching short term developments this week to see whether we join in with any snow action.

Chances of widespread snow late next week/weekend as the high begins to retrogress to Greenland with a E/NE becoming N/NE flow developing which will aid greater chance of trough features entering our patch. The following week currently looks potentially very snowy indeed, with scandi trough coming into play and low heights developing over Scandanvia and then further down the line, low heights from the SW trying to crash through into the continental air - resulting in classic battleground territory, lots to look forward to in the next couple of weeks- half term holidays could be very memorable indeed.

Posted

Agreed damianslaw - it looks like North Westerners are going to have to play the waiting game, with lots of patience for the first part of this week. It will be mostly dry and cold, with maybe the odd occasional flurry to the east of the region. Then we'll need to see what the charts show us midweek and if they firm up on the retrogression of the High to Greenland. That could 'potentially' open the floodgates for even colder weather to follow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Looks like its nailed that the bitter cold and heavy snow is going to arrive in our region at the end of the coming week and last for 7 days.

How can i be so sure - because that is when i am in Egypt for a weeks holiday.

I was away at Christmas and missed all but day 1 of that wintry spell and was at friends on Merseyside over New Year when our part of Lancashire was buried in snow.

Not complaining though as i've had enough cold for one winter but for all of you folks dreaming of more snow, i hope you get all you wish for and if anyone close to home is being greedy and wishing for metres of the stuff i'll just clear my drive when i get home.

Ian

Posted

Looks like its nailed that the bitter cold and heavy snow is going to arrive in our region at the end of the coming week and last for 7 days.

How can i be so sure - because that is when i am in Egypt for a weeks holiday.

I was away at Christmas and missed all but day 1 of that wintry spell and was at friends on Merseyside over New Year when our part of Lancashire was buried in snow.

Not complaining though as i've had enough cold for one winter but for all of you folks dreaming of more snow, i hope you get all you wish for and if anyone close to home is being greedy and wishing for metres of the stuff i'll just clear my drive when i get home.

Ian

Not expecting much but I think some parts of the region could get a covering of snow by wednesday night, certainly areas next to the pennines. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Posted

Hi,

Yes interesting potential for this week both cold and snow wise hopefully with some harsh frosts before we get some further snowfall. What sort of temperatures could we expect this week would temperatures of -4 or -5 be plausible for me considering that the wind is coming of the land rather than the Irish Sea helping to bring the temperatures down.

Anyone on another topic I do not normally complain but have you noticed how polarised some of the posts have become on the main model thread recently? One minute you may have a post saying that we are going to have a prolonged severe cold spell based on these models, whereas the next you will get a post like it is looking like a "damp squib", "uninspiring", "nothing to right home about" based on the same models. It is like people contradicting each other making it very difficult to know which poster to believe! Do you think this is a sign of how spoiled we have become this winter with some now expecting severe cold and heavy snow as the norm in every cold spell and others getting depressed over it not being as good as it has been and putting their expectations to high?

Luke

Posted

I know I am a bit higher out of town than you, but just been out and already a few flakes blowing in the wind which bodes well if you ask me!

Just had a look at the GFS 18z and it looks like most of our North West area is heading for snow on Monday afternoon. Being a newby here I can't be certain that I'm reading the right chart in the right way <_< so how does it look to the rest of you?

Posted

I've just gone up to the stables and it's snowing, only very light but it is settling on the frosty surfaces. There is nothing on the radar, but this is Bacup and it comes out of nowhere, it must be our height.

Shadowfax

Posted

Just driven from Worsley to Preston & had a few unexpected snow flurries on the M61 between Winter Hill & Chorley.acute.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

I've just gone up to the stables and it's snowing, only very light but it is settling on the frosty surfaces. There is nothing on the radar, but this is Bacup and it comes out of nowhere, it must be our height.

Shadowfax

we have had light snizzle hear since at least 7am.only comes coming down whitworth road have snow on them

Posted

Light snow here, on and off all day. It was barely there this morning and became more noticeable as the day went on. Very chilly outside too (couple of degrees at the moment) - brr! cold.gif