Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

Had stopped but has just started snowing again quite moderately here. Can't see it lasting though looking at the radar. Nice while it lasted blum.gif

Edited by NW_Blackburn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

2cms here in hyde cheshire still snowing.

light rain now reached Manchester Airport enjoy your snow while you can LOLcray.gif

all gone from here now and steady rain.as i said earlier models now flipped back to show the beasterly

so hopefully morecold.gif andclap.gif to come soon

ECM will be rolling out in half hour or so,well worth a look me reckons.

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

well, we had a lovely white-out for a bit - pic to follow - and the kids are out playing as i write but it is now light drizzle and visibly thinning, so I'd best be quick with me camera

Posted

ECM one word stunning

Yes we have been there before,but not with the three main models

extreme caution still required,it could still go belly up,but IF and the word is IF all those models verified you would be

looking and cold and very snowy weather,another 48hrs of this kind of consistancy from the three major players

would have me getting quite excited LOL.

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Could you post me a link to the ECM?

Posted

Missed it!

Looked outside and it was raining, but with quite a bit of snow on the cars and grass. Must have come down pretty quickly. For a "not-that-cold" spell of weather, the snow gods have been generous. <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Credit to the BBC on this occasion, they progged the timing, position and amount of snow that fell this afternoon perfectly.

How much snow did you get? i got 1cm lol

Posted

Going to be yet another day with lying snow under Met Office rules here. Hardly a thaw overnight. Roads are still covered and even roof tops are although that is where there has been something of a thaw but plenty still have some form of a patchy covering.

Posted

Going to be yet another day with lying snow under Met Office rules here. Hardly a thaw overnight. Roads are still covered and even roof tops are although that is where there has been something of a thaw but plenty still have some form of a patchy covering.

Same here, but again coming into work this am you can see the localised nature of snowfall. There is snow around Preston but within 2 miles going north there is nothing, patches appear again around Lancaster then nothing again. I am now at work near Kendal, there is fog and a dusting of snow here. In a 30 or so mile trip the localised differences are quite marked.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Hi guys,

Left Leyland about 4.30 yesterday - v wet snow just starting to settle, and the more I got down the M55 the more it had settled - like I was heading away from the sea not towards it!

Re the next cold spell (assuming it arrives) there's a lot of 'it'll be great for the east' going on on the model output thread, which I can understand looking at the models, but hopefully the NW will get some surprises in there too like last time.

Posted

Hi guys,

Left Leyland about 4.30 yesterday - v wet snow just starting to settle, and the more I got down the M55 the more it had settled - like I was heading away from the sea not towards it!

Re the next cold spell (assuming it arrives) there's a lot of 'it'll be great for the east' going on on the model output thread, which I can understand looking at the models, but hopefully the NW will get some surprises in there too like last time.

Still lot's to firm up on for next weeks shot of cold! As it stands, Eastern areas would do very well out of this, but we only have to look at the last cold spell, to see how things can change at such short notice.

Edited by Solar Cycles

Posted

Hi guys,

Thats all they ever say on the model thread. How many times have we seen posts this winter proclaiming snow fests in the south, these set ups always favor the SE etc. Plus there's one member who seems to have an unhealthy obsession with something called a 'Thames Streamer'. We have all that everytime and then pretty much everywhere else gets all the snow. I've lost count of the amount of posts i've seen saying that we in the North West wont get any yet this winter we have had as much as anywhere outside Scotland and the North Pennines. There is plenty of time for features to appear out of nowhere, hopefully one will knock a bit of a north west tilt on the wind and we'll get a proper streamer going, one from the Irish Sea!

Edited by trickydicky

Posted

Plus there's one member who seems to have an unhealthy obsession with something called a 'Thames Streamer'.

Perhaps we should introduce a few of our own, The Ribble Streamer, The Lune Streamer, The Mersey Streamer, or the Morecambe Bay Streamer etc

We have already had a number of "Ribble Streamers" this winter :whistling:

Posted

Bloody hell if GFS verifys we are in for 8 days of snow and cold temps

C.S

Posted

Thunder snow

as you probably have quite a lot of experience at looking at the models is it possible for you to update our thread as to what the

models are showing,just to keep the less experienced members on the thread up to date,just seems unless you live in the east

no ones intrested......blimey get myself linched saying that

i nominate you anyway mate.......laugh.gif

C.S

Posted

Bloody hell if GFS verifys we are in for 8 days of snow and cold temps

C.S

CS, are you looking at next Mon/Tues/Wed's GFS charts? I'm still learning about them and I know there's been doubts here about their accuracy recently but do you think they are reliable? They do make next week look exciting! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Perhaps we should introduce a few of our own, The Ribble Streamer, The Lune Streamer, The Mersey Streamer, or the Morecambe Bay Streamer etc

We have already had a number of "Ribble Streamers" this winter :)

lmao! :)

I predict either a Polar Low, major trough from the north or piles of shower/longer spells of activity making over to the west coast/cheshire.

Trying to think of a tactful way of saying 'what about the NW?'. Sod it, lets have a laugh on our own thread - there so much love here! :):)

Posted

CS, are you looking at next Mon/Tues/Wed's GFS charts? I'm still learning about them and I know there's been doubts here about their accuracy recently but do you think they are reliable? They do make next week look exciting! cold.gif

Hi

still very much learning myself

but IF and still an IF the charts verify we are in for some cold and at times snowy weather,obviously cannot say when and how much

that wont be decided until hours before the event,but this wont just be an east coast event almost anywere at risk from snow

ATM

ECM rolling out and so far so good back in a min just going on the MOD

C.S

Posted

Okay let me try and give you a quick summary based on the ECM please correct me if i am wrong

GFS and UKMO will give snow almost anywere

ECM dissapointing for NW england...sunny but very cold by day,severe frosts at night

so if like me you want snow GFS and UKMO the best models today.....ECM this evening not the best...

C.S

Posted

Okay let me try and give you a quick summary based on the ECM please correct me if i am wrong

GFS and UKMO will give snow almost anywere

ECM dissapointing for NW england...sunny but very cold by day,severe frosts at night

so if like me you want snow GFS and UKMO the best models today.....ECM this evening not the best...

C.S

Thanks CS. I had a quick look at the MOD too and they seem to think dahn sarf will get the snow.... :) For today, I'll just admire the GFS!!

Posted

Thanks CS. I had a quick look at the MOD too and they seem to think dahn sarf will get the snow.... sad.gif For today, I'll just admire the GFS!!

Based on the ECM yes correct

but the golden rule get the cold in place,then we can start looking for the snow

i am about 70% confident we will get the cold from sunday onwards

snow risk ATM who knows its wide open

C.S

oh deer

a few nasty posts in the mod thread well done mods for getting them removed....dont want any of that

just thinking though ironic is it not,in june at wimbledon they are all sat at the tennis getting sunburnt,yet in feb

they get loads of snowwhistling.gif you just could not write the british weather LOL.

C.S