Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Right, if you'll excuse me I'm off to get my head checked and my eyes changed...yes, that's an area of 45-50cm in the NE Mids.

uksnowdepth.png

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

Right, if you'll excuse me I'm off to get my head checked and my eyes changed...yes, that's an area of 45-50cm in the NE Mids.

uksnowdepth.png

Obviously that will never happen.... but just imagine if it did!!!! It makes me go weak at the knees!!!

Posted

Obviously that will never happen.... but just imagine if it did!!!! It makes me go weak at the knees!!!

That would be of the wet snow variety that sticks to everything, it would bring severe power outages and make roads impassable. Would also bring down tree branches exacerbating the situation. Back to reality though.....

Still snow coming down here but I think it's pretty much over now.

Posted

I meant in terms of 'will it snow or not?' in these marginal set-ups. The NAE and NMM will give you an accurate picture of what to expect in terms of precipitation type. The GFS struggles with this, though you're right about Wednesday's event- GFS did have that pretty much nailed regarding the positioning of the front. But for the finer details, you won't get better than the Higher-res models. smile.gif

Out of curiosity mate which radar do you feel is better out of Meteox and Raintoday? I like the layout of raintoday but find Meteox more accurate??? pardon.gif

Posted

That would be of the wet snow variety that sticks to everything, it would bring severe power outages and make roads impassable. Would also bring down tree branches exacerbating the situation. Back to reality though.....

Still snow coming down here but I think it's pretty much over now.

it has got to be one of the most farfetched looking runs i have ever seen.its been on pints of grappa! :whistling:

Posted

how long do u think it will continue to snow over our area? any more depth or is this it for tonight (looks to be weakening)

I think that's about it for the heavy stuff now. But looking at the radar I'd expect a fair few hours of light snowfall to come.

Still a great event and probably my favourite of the winter so far as we were right in the thick of it unlike previous events.

Posted

I hope that there has been some snow in Rugely as Radders aint been on for a while. Unless there has been a little bit and hes scurrying round putting it in his freezer whilst muttering "my precious" lolrofl.gifrofl.gif

Posted

I hope that there has been some snow in Rugely as Radders aint been on for a while. Unless there has been a little bit and hes scurrying round putting it in his freezer whilst muttering "my precious" lolrofl.gifrofl.gif

Just that image made me laugh :lol:

Poor old Radders, I'm sure he got his snow in the end.

Posted

I meant in terms of 'will it snow or not?' in these marginal set-ups. The NAE and NMM will give you an accurate picture of what to expect in terms of precipitation type. The GFS struggles with this, though you're right about Wednesday's event- GFS did have that pretty much nailed regarding the positioning of the front. But for the finer details, you won't get better than the Higher-res models. :lol:

Nah, the NMM was poor tonight. At one point I ran the latest data and compared to what was happening.

NMM said 4C and Very Light Rain for the hour in question - it was actually 0C and Heavy Snow.

Terrible accuracy! I think the NAE has faired better overall, especially with temperatures.

Posted

Just that image made me laugh laugh.gif

Poor old Radders, I'm sure he got his snow in the end.

I can just imagine him now scurrying around the power station shouting at the towers for ruinig his winter lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

That would be of the wet snow variety that sticks to everything, it would bring severe power outages and make roads impassable. Would also bring down tree branches exacerbating the situation.

It would be dead exciting though, imagine going to bed tonight and then waking up tomorrow morning to half a metre of snow?!! I'd swoon. And then I'd be a bit peed off 'because I wouldn't be able to report it on netweather...or have a cup of tea, or a shower, or watch TV :lol:

Snow seems to be easing off here now, got a decent covering though and have seen some beefy flakes this afternoon. It's been a good day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Is no1 else having moderate snow in the apparent light snow ? Makes all the difference believe me , settling with ease as temp is much lower now obviously, good 2inc, but if i have this for the next hour it will give another half inch the rate its coming down.

Posted

It would be dead exciting though, imagine going to bed tonight and then waking up tomorrow morning to half a metre of snow?!! I'd swoon. And then I'd be a bit peed off 'because I wouldn't be able to report it on netweather...or have a cup of tea, or a shower, or watch TV :lol:

Snow seems to be easing off here now, got a decent covering though and have seen some beefy flakes this afternoon. It's been a good day!

I would use my Blackberry to make everybody in the south-east incredibly jealous! :D

Posted

Wow thats a 18z run for the ages for the Midlands northwards thats for sure, I'd take it even though Chichester would get just rain because thats amazingly rare evolution...

Anyway closing this thread soon unless someone else has got here first lol!

Posted

The Met Office got it right today, here. I'm sure there are some disappointed souls in Bedfordshire. 8cm on the grass, 4cm on pavements and snowing quite heavily as I speak, though the flakes are a lot smaller than the bit juicy ones about 6pm.

As Northants Snow points out, the GFS has poor form with these type of events in this area - the snow risk always is put further west, yet it has been snowing since lunchtime - although settling proper didn't start until around 4pm. In February last year the two heaviest snowfalls, which were far more substantial than today, the GFS went for rain on one and sleet on the other.

Posted

Wow thats a 18z run for the ages for the Midlands northwards thats for sure, I'd take it even though Chichester would get just rain because thats amazingly rare evolution...

Anyway closing this thread soon unless someone else has got here first lol!

If it does come off you probably won't be hearing from us for a week!