Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Unfortunately you can't grit runways and taxiways as it plays havoc with aircraft engines and snow ploughs only work with a minimum depth of around 1-2cm. So anywhere in between and it becomes a bit messy. They do use anti-icing fluid but it's designed to work against ice formation rather than snowfall onto a treated surface.

Leeds airport never closes, under extreme circumstances it will close but a couple of cm's of snow and it doesn't close. Last time the airport closed was when there was 35cm of snow, even with 20cm of snow it doesn't close, but I guess we get more snow and the airport is high up (210m ASL). But I would of thought all airports have the same equipment when dealing with snow.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Well it finally looks like the snow is settling big-time, it was always looking like the evening onwards was going to see the snow accumulating, as after dark the freezing level drops and at the same time colder air is continuing to drain down from the north. Enjoy those in the midlands tonight and take care out there.

This kind of wet snow tends to stick to everything!

May even bring down powerlines if accumulates thick enough. Any one remember that big wet snowfall in Dec 1990 in the Midlands which brought major disruption and power outages? Kind seems like that tonight.

Posted

i missed forecast... where it coming from the front moving east over us or the v heavy ppn from oxfordshire.... or both?

thanks

Both I guess. The two sort of merge together. At one point it begins to pull away from Northamptonshire and then sinks back again as it heads east.

Jim said we should expect a fair few more hours of snowfall yet and specifically mentioned Northants on several occasions.

The snow graphics were over us until at least 2am on the national.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

OT but why? I'm thinking that even when it's 10cm, they still have to clear the lowest 1-2cm if you get what i mean?

From what I understand (I work in air traffic control rather than airport ops) its due to the fact that the runway lights are inset into the runway but still protrude by around 1-2cm. This the bottom lip of the plough needs to be above this level so it doesn't cause damage to the light fittings as it passes over.

Posted

Leeds airport never closes, under extreme circumstances it will close but a couple of cm's of snow and it doesn't close. Last time the airport closed was when there was 35cm of snow, even with 20cm of snow it doesn't close, but I guess we get more snow and the airport is high up (210m ASL). But I would of thought all airports have the same equipment when dealing with snow.

We get proper aeroplanes here in Birmingham mate. The type that land at your airport we keep them at Cosford museum we do mate !!!!!!!!whistling.gif LOLO just kidding pal drinks.gif

Posted

From what I understand (I work in air traffic control rather than airport ops) its due to the fact that the runway lights are inset into the runway but still protrude by around 1-2cm. This the bottom lip of the plough needs to be above this level so it doesn't cause damage to the light fittings as it passes over.

Thanks! That would have been bugging me otherwise! smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Anyone in the vicinity of Upton on Severn? Looks like that area hit the jackpot today in terms of snow totals.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Well it finally looks like the snow is settling big-time, it was always looking like the evening onwards was going to see the snow accumulating, as after dark the freezing level drops and at the same time colder air is continuing to drain down from the north. Enjoy those in the midlands tonight and take care out there.

May even bring down powerlines if accumulates thick enough. Any one remember that big wet snowfall in Dec 1990 in the Midlands which brought major disruption and power outages? Kind seems like that tonight.

Oh yes, I remember that one! We were without power here for about 16 hours, I think. Luckily the town centre shops still had some power, so I walked down there and went to one of the cafés. Sadly I only had a little bit of money on me, and the bank cash machine wasn't working (it was a weekend, so I couldn't go into the branch either), so I could only afford a drink and a teacake! Still very welcome though.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Heavy snow in Coventry this afternoon. Dad wreckons about 3 inches so far, quite a turn up, thats their most of the Winter!

post-2595-12665203002417_thumb.jpg

Posted

Oh yes, this is what I'm talking about! Heavy snowfall here now and should it continue for the next hour or so, 2" of lying snow look probable. It took its time, but its finally here. biggrin.gif

Pleased for you! Even looks like PPN over West Mids has intensified slightly in places over between 6.30 and 7pm judging by raintoday radar! We're doing just fine here too drinks.gif

Posted

The low may be taking more of a bend than some people may have thought before... But there won't be much difference where it ends.

post-10818-12665204392617_thumb.png

But as the night goes on it'll all wear itself out.

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

impressive stuff, been out, sledge went by, good stuff considering how wet ground was, still snowing lots of small flakes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Hi Nick,Hope Youre Well! A very good covering here in Evesham and snowing well now and a few more good hours of snow to come judging by the radar! Yep I do remember the [blizzard] of Decemeber 12th 1990. We had two days of no power some in the area a week or more. Probably the deepest snow here since 1982 ,although it soon disappeared!.Regards Ian. :D

Posted

impressive stuff, been out, sledge went by, good stuff considering how wet ground was, still snowing lots of small flakes

I'm getting the same here ... side roads now getting covered. No more than 1cm in total but wintry looking all the same.

Posted

Hi Nick,Hope Youre Well! A very good covering here in Evesham and snowing well now and a few more good hours of snow to come judging by the radar! Yep I do remember the [blizzard] of Decemeber 12th 1990. We had two days of no power some in the area a week or more. Probably the deepest snow here since 1982 ,although it soon disappeared!.Regards Ian. cold.gif

Snows of 1990/91 winter set a benchmark here still not equalled since. The Dec snowfall produced over a foot with drifts over 2 foot, all in one go (overnight into the morning). The Feb snowfall was virtually a foot as well - 11.5 inches i seem to recall. And both Dec and Feb snowfalls brought similar amounts to lower ground too i think.

In the past 2 winters i don't think there has been a single fall which has produced more than about 5-6 inches. The accumulated totals have been pretty good here on the Lickey Hills though (often right side of marginal compared to lower ground). Last winter peaked at 8 inches/20cm depth (Feb 2009), and this winter at 10 inches/25cm (Jan 2010). We're currently back up to at least 4 inches/10cm as of my measurements half an hour ago, Feb 18th 2010 good.gif

Will be out sledging in the next couple of days without a doubt!

[Edit: just to be pedantic i'm pretty sure the blizzard was on 8th Dec 1990, rather than 12th]

Edited by Higher Ground

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

an inch of laying snow here in Penkridge...snowfall rates are picking up again here as a heavier band of snow pivots around just to my east

Posted

an inch of laying snow here in Penkridge...snowfall rates are picking up again here as a heavier band of snow pivots around just to my east

What's the chances of it having a last minute change of mind and pivoting as far south as BTL?biggrin.gif

Posted

bout the same here AJ, done well I feel with this, been out with camera

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

As this event nears an end, only one word can sum it up - meh. About a cm of slushy snow covering all surfaces, feel a bit disappointed. Yes it's a covering but nowhere near as good as the powdery snow of January.

Posted

As this event nears an end, only one word can sum it up - meh. About a cm of slushy snow covering all surfaces, feel a bit disappointed. Yes it's a covering but nowhere near as good as the powdery snow of January.

I think done well, yeah not as good as Jan but a good covering, white trees, everywhere white, similar to 23rd Dec, only temps not as cold this time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think done well, yeah not as good as Jan but a good covering, white trees, everywhere white, similar to 23rd Dec, only temps not as cold this time

Dec 23rd is a very good comparison actually. Like that one there will probably be a slight thaw overnight and a substantial thaw tomorrow daytime.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Snows of 1990/91 winter set a benchmark here still not equalled since. The Dec snowfall produced over a foot with drifts over 2 foot, all in one go (overnight into the morning). The Feb snowfall was virtually a foot as well - 11.5 inches i seem to recall. And both Dec and Feb snowfalls brought similar amounts to lower ground too i think.

In the past 2 winters i don't think there has been a single fall which has produced more than about 5-6 inches. The accumulated totals have been pretty good here on the Lickey Hills though (often right side of marginal compared to lower ground). Last winter peaked at 8 inches/20cm depth (Feb 2009), and this winter at 10 inches/25cm (Jan 2010). We're currently back up to at least 4 inches/10cm as of my measurements half an hour ago, Feb 18th 2010 good.gif

Will be out sledging in the next couple of days without a doubt!

[Edit: just to be pedantic i'm pretty sure the blizzard was on 8th Dec 1990, rather than 12th]

Yep,Im sure youre right! Memory loss !! Hope youre enjoying your snow, Im certainly enjoying mine, although its a pain when your living depends on the outdoors!! :)