IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

SF9 - 10-30"

SF10 - 1 Foot and above.

"Cannot compute, cannot compute, cannot...." :whistling:

Posted

if it does hit us how long will it last tho.... i would rather have prolonged mod snow for a good 6 hours than v heavy 4 1-2 hours?? also follwoing that there is nothing else... or is there... sorry i not good at predicting this one

All major models - GFS, NMM, UKMO - are forecasting snow for the area for much of this evening and Friday morning so I'm pretty relaxed right now.

As I type the snow is getting heavier. Very picturesque here as darkness sets in.

Posted

The front does seem to have reached its peak strength now and is starting to weaken very slowly indeed, though there are still plenty of heavy bursts left, esp furthern east where the energy is starting to transfer quite evidently with the band starting to produce more and more moderate snowfalls near N.EA and also E.Midlands.

Posted

Roads starting to go white here now, seems to be weakening more and more every radar update though unfortunately.

Posted

its always sad when people start watching the radar when its snowing. the radar always looks bleak when the snow starts falling and settling, instead of wondering when its going to end, go out there and enjoy it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

its always sad when people start watching the radar when its snowing. the radar always looks bleak when the snow starts falling and settling, instead of wondering when its going to end, go out there and enjoy it!

I'm about to go and buy some wine in it, so that I can enjoy it even more!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

I've been out in the snow and taken some photos.

Fairly light snow for the past hour or so, most roads are clear but on the fields and trees and cars it's settled to about 2cm.

Great piccies Tommy, you've got far more than us here in Polesworth, just a dusting here on the grass and nothing on the pavements/roads.

Long may it continue!!!!

Posted

Well its moving East now slowly just as it's starting to settle here so it will fizzle away over the next 30 minutes, still considering i never thought it would reach here it's been alright, let's hope Saturdays front doesnt go to far south.

Edited by conor123

Posted

The precip south-west of Northamptonshire is intensifying! :shok:

Radar returns of 30mm/hour mixed in now. Somewhere is going to get a right dumping from this little beauty.

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

There's very little to enjoy for the majority, and even those who have got a covering it is horribly slushy for most!

Posted

There's very little to enjoy for the majority, and even those who have got a covering it is horribly slushy for most!

aye, that is true, i just mean for those that did have settling snow(proper snow), i think its more exciting to watch it and make the most of it, rather than seeing when it will end.

Posted

Snow Factor 6. Stourbridge road will be impossible to cover because of the rush hour traffic. There's enough snow on the side of it to say that with normal traffic it'd be wholely covered.

Not here. It's just like the wonderful January snow earlier this year. :shok:

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted

If it makes those who are down on here feel any better it's raining here wallbash.gif . Temps are dropping mind, but still at this elevation and this far north, shows how marginal the situation is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Here's my pic from just before the snow stopped. Thawing a bit now and llooks like I have no more to come but I am very pleased!

post-518-12665143666317_thumb.jpg

Posted

Stopped here for now. 2cm on the ground and another 2.1mm in the rain gauge. Very slushy on roads and pavements

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Here's my pic from just before the snow stopped. Thawing a bit now and llooks like I have no more to come but I am very pleased!

That's another thing, it looks to be one of those "quick thaw" events. Those who have a slight covering shouldn't be surprised to see most of it gone tomorrow morning, the snow is incredibly wet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

That's another thing, it looks to be one of those "quick thaw" events. Those who have a slight covering shouldn't be surprised to see most of it gone tomorrow morning, the snow is incredibly wet.

I'm sure it will go tomorrow but it's only thawing on roads where there is traffic, I think it will freeze over to be honest.

You need an optimism pill Nick! The snow here has been very good and fell in a short time despite earlier having very wet surfaces and sleet. We've had enough for snowmen, kids are sledging and there has been much fun.

edited to add it's snowing again.

Edited by Serendipity

Posted

In Gloucester (kind of Midlands!) about 4cm of snow. In the Forest of Dean double that. It is not slushy here and everything is looking very picturesque. It is still snowing slightly here but smaller flakes now.

Posted

Snowing for the last hour here-approaching an inch on the grass and less on tarmac. Even though we had rain beforehand it stuck very easily due to the intensity.

Temp 0.3C and steady

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

snowing heavy now and starting to stick yay, but was just rain in town centre, temp though a bit high at 1.2C