Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

looking great now still snowing well, got a covering, 0.6°C now as well

Dipped below freezing, bucketing it down as well. Shame this won't last too long though or else we could get a real pasting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Dipped below freezing, bucketing it down as well. Shame this won't last too long though or else we could get a real pasting!

yeah shame, but im just happy with a whiteout, never promised a lot, just hope skies clear behind the snow to keep it for morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

The roads are looking pretty awful out their with cars almost slowing down to a halt. The local music school have had to close due to the bad weather. Kind of a shame really, as I had the "Love Is All Around" (by Wet Wet Wet) keyboard piece ready to play at the school. But considering the intensity of the snow earlier, I suppose I can't blame the music school.

Currently, there is around an inch outside on the patio and grass. Not too sure we are going to get much more, but very pleased with the results nonethelesss.

post-10703-12665170464417_thumb.png

Anyway, good luck for this evening and tonight everyone, particularly those who have been unlucky with the wintry weather. cool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Thick snow hear. Looks like leavs from the sky!! Good to hear heay snow in bristol , got a good hrs yet i feel , yes it may say lighter on the radar but we l no that can be decieving !! nearly 2inc of lying snow now

Posted

It beggars belief how Birmingham Airport has closed. Don't they believe in grit?!

Posted

It beggars belief how Birmingham Airport has closed. Don't they believe in grit?!

Yeah...'grit-lock'.... :D (see wut i did thar?)

Posted

Just been outside to see the car and had to move 3 inches + of snow off the car, the malverns must have done well out of this and I bet those hills will be busy tomorrow with all the kids off school!

Posted

Was going to play football up Cannock park tomorrow, think I will give it a miss as I don't fancy playing in an inch of muddy slush! Still coming down a fair bit but should stop fairly soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

All surfaces now white. Snow depths now around 3cm on grass, 2cm on pavements/car roofs and 0.5-1cm on road. 0.4°C and steady light snow with small flakes, a bit like what fell on 13 Jan.

Posted

Still been snizzling with the fine small snow consistantly since my last post, we may scrape a dusting before it clears...

And in reply to cyclonic happiness, the feature will be moving into much colder air than we currently have other us and after a hard nights frost so it seems more likely to be proper snow but much further north or south and things will pan out differently.

Posted

I'm liking the look of the radar. Some heavy stuff still on course for Northamptonshire later this evening.

Still snowing away now of course, but light to moderate at the moment. :D

Temp 0C. Pic from a few hours ago:

post-5649-12665186861617_thumb.jpg

Look East had a live OB from a snowy Kettering at 6:30. Full weather coming up shortly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

Unfortunately you can't grit runways and taxiways as it plays havoc with aircraft engines and snow ploughs only work with a minimum depth of around 1-2cm. So anywhere in between and it becomes a bit messy. They do use anti-icing fluid but it's designed to work against ice formation rather than snowfall onto a treated surface.

Posted

Perhaps we should start a new sub-thread.....'Midlands Cold Spell Discussion - Whiners & Moaners Edition'.....Would be very busy in there I guess?! whistling.gif

Or under 18's and over 18's with the emphasis with the emoticons on the under 18's one consisting largely of dummies and rattles lolwhistling.gifclap.gif

Posted

Unfortunately you can't grit runways and taxiways as it plays havoc with aircraft engines and snow ploughs only work with a minimum depth of around 1-2cm. So anywhere in between and it becomes a bit messy. They do use anti-icing fluid but it's designed to work against ice formation rather than snowfall onto a treated surface.

Ah fair enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Absolute nightmare trying to get home from work. Gridlock. Took me 10 minutes to attempt to exit one road.

Just been in to my garden and there is widely 4 inches on the grass and generally a couple of inches on the concrete. Makes up for the relatively little snow in January.

Will get some pics.

Posted

and snow ploughs only work with a minimum depth of around 1-2cm.

OT but why? I'm thinking that even when it's 10cm, they still have to clear the lowest 1-2cm if you get what i mean?

Edit: scrub that, re-reading the original post i think i get it now! just being thick.....

Edited by Higher Ground

Posted

Its more like sleety snow where i am, there's a bit on the grass, but nothing on the roads or pavements, nothing more than a slushy sleety mess.

Posted

Jim Bacon, Look East: "Up to 8cm of snow in Northamptonshire."

i missed forecast... where it coming from the front moving east over us or the v heavy ppn from oxfordshire.... or both?

thanks