Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Still big 20p size thicky chunky flakes going on here... (And even settling on wet surfaces!)

Temp : 0ºc

DP : 0 ºc

Humidity : 100%

Recent pic...

post-8209-12665151883317_thumb.jpg

Posted

Stopped here now, slight covering but overall MEH. :/

Posted

I'm sure it will go tomorrow but it's only thawing on roads where there is traffic, I think it will freeze over to be honest.

You need an optimism pill Nick! The snow here has been very good and fell in a short time despite earlier having very wet surfaces and sleet. We've had enough for snowmen, kids are sledging and there has been much fun.

Agreed. Can't understand why people on here are so miserable tonight. Yes- accumulations haven't been quite as high as initially expected in the west but at least it's been snowy all the way pretty much!

Not to mention the fact that several further snow events are forecast for the region over the coming days.

Posted

The couple of times this afternoon and evening that a heavy band has passed over us has now lead to it finally sticking on roads in the last hour. Im far from certain how much more we will get tonight though, it will stop here shortly according to the radar and the way the low is moving and my lack of knowledge means I dont know what we'll get after that.

Edited by SteveElbows

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm sure it will go tomorrow but it's only thawing on roads where there is traffic, I think it will freeze over to be honest.

You need an optimism pill Nick! The snow here has been very good and fell in a short time despite earlier having very wet surfaces and sleet. We've had enough for snowmen, kids are sledging and there has been much fun.

edited to add it's snowing again.

Unfortunately it is hard to be optimistic when there is a dusting of slush outside with the precipitation slowly but surely dying and moving away.

Although to be honest I shouldn't be too down after the Met Office gave the classic death knell - a 2-5cm warning.

Posted

Agreed. Can't understand why people on here are so miserable tonight. Yes- accumulations haven't been quite as high as initially expected in the west but at least it's been snowy all the way pretty much!

Not to mention the fact that several further snow events are forecast for the region over the coming days.

Perhaps because most of us were promised up to 10cm 24 hours ago and ended up with barely 10mm of slush!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Perhaps we should start a new sub-thread.....'Midlands Cold Spell Discussion - Whiners & Moaners Edition'.....Would be very busy in there I guess?! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Got close to the predicted 10cm here

no snow in stoke

Posted

Slightly heavier snow in Gloucester now- approx 4cm. Not bad for this location at all-- visiting parents from Nottingham and the most snow that I have seem all winter!

Posted

The nmm would suggest the heaviest is still to come from that bit to the south. Theres hope yet

Posted

Perhaps because most of us were promised up to 10cm 24 hours ago and ended up with barely 10mm of slush!

Although 10mm isn't good at all the warnings never said you would get loads of snow.

"Rain and sleet is likely to turn to heavy snow at times and could give accumulations of 2 to 5 centimetres in places, and up to 10 cm on higher ground.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on road conditions on motorways and trunk roads."

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Here's my pic from just before the snow stopped. Thawing a bit now and llooks like I have no more to come but I am very pleased!

I watched your area come over a hole in the ppn , its now beggining t move away from you, youv got more to come , everythin to our west has to move over us now , you was on the southern edge of the main batch , its now stopped its movement north and will pivot a little then move east .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

Just been out in it (to buy the wine which I am now drinking!) it's pretty bad out there. It's still sleeting/snowing and there's about 1.5 cm of lying snow - which doesn't sound too bad...but it's mixed up/on top of wet ground/puddles. I nearly went ar*e over t*t several times.

If you are driving/out and about tonight be careful.

Posted

Got a fair bit heavier now and starting to settle on the drenched road.

Posted

Yeah Nick it always was going to be that bit more marginal for West Midlands today simply because of the timings of it arrival...

However Saturday still looks interesting barring any last min 18z jerks on Friday night, with the GFS arriving early morning and the 12z NAE being much slower and taking till the eveing hours to reach your location after crossing Ireland it seems, though hard to know without seeing past the 48hrs it goes upto!

Mind you thats good to hear mate, radar shows some heavier precip coming over your region now and thats probably made the difference.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

very heavy snow here still, we have 2" now and the roads are almost crippled as no grit's been applied and there's no 'drip drip' for once!

Posted

Yeah Nick it always was going to be that bit more marginal for West Midlands today simply because of the timings of it arrival...

However Saturday still looks interesting barring any last min 18z jerks on Friday night, with the GFS arriving early morning and the 12z NAE being much slower and taking till the eveing hours to reach your location after crossing Ireland it seems, though hard to know without seeing past the 48hrs it goes upto!

Im thinking it will have a pretty much straight Easterly track at first as it hits Wales then moving in an ESE direction through the Midlands with the heaviest precipitation just south of here going through the Hereford/Worcester area, through Birmingham then towards East Anglia.

However the UKMO doesn't even pick it up, though it rarely picks these features up till the last minute.

Edited by conor123

Posted

Im thinking it will have a pretty much straight Easterly track at first as it hits Wales then moving in an ESE direction through the Midlands with the heaviest precipitation just south of here going through the Hereford/Worcester area, through Birmingham then towards East Anglia.

However the UKMO doesn't even pick it up, though it rarely picks these features up till the last minute.

is that feature snow though? it looks like it could be in the warmer sector of the low?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I was thinking sunday looked more interesting than saturday, particularly for this region of the midlands. The feature on saturday looks to hit central wales, then slip SE towards the london area. Probably missing this part of the midlands.

Edited by Radders