Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Some light - occasionally moderate snowfall here and has been for the last 45 minutes or so, nowhere near the intensity to settle though. Accumulations are unlikely for me i fear, unless was get some incredibly heavy PPN.

Posted

Hi everybody! What a day. Been snowing most of the afternoon, heavy at times. Didn't want to settle at first but gave in eventually and now we have a blanket formed on pretty much all surfaces. :D

I must admit I was so surprised that this even started off wintry. According to the Netweather forecast we have a 0% chance of snow right now and it's snowing like a trooper out there with (hopefully) many more hours to come. :D

Posted

As fordy said only 2cms from 8-10mm according to netweathers radar of precip over the last 4 hours. We need daylight to end soon so we can get the temp down in order for it to start building up. We also need the low pressure center to shift east wards and drag the precip south on the western side.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Some light - occasionally moderate snowfall here and has been for the last 45 minutes or so, nowhere near the intensity to settle though. Accumulations are unlikely for me i fear, unless was get some incredibly heavy PPN.

Altitude difference showing again. Settling readily on the grass here, turning whiter and whiter, the shed roof also has a slushy dusting. As temperatures dip below freezing everywhere should get covered before long.

Posted

what's the highest snow factor out of interest?:D

Whilst I'm at it, I may as well explain the lot! :D

SF1 - All precipitation is snow. Perhaps old cars begining to be tinted white.

SF2 - Grass and old cars begin to gather snow. Other old metals and soils accumulate as well.

SF3 - All cars, gardens and other materials begin to look white. Roofs begining to gather snow.

SF4 - Everything except roads and pavements are mostly covered. Perhaps pavement begin to tinge with white.

SF5 - Pavements, and side roads gather snow. Perhaps main/busy roads begin to look white.

SF6 - White-out (1-2")

SF7 - 2-5"

SF8 - 5-10"

SF9 - 10-30"

SF10 - 1 Foot and above.

Also, I've reached SF5 now. :D

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted

Hi everybody! What a day. Been snowing most of the afternoon, heavy at times. Didn't want to settle at first but gave in eventually and now we have a blanket formed on pretty much all surfaces. :D

I must admit I was so surprised that this even started off wintry. According to the Netweather forecast we have a 0% chance of snow right now and it's snowing like a trooper out there with (hopefully) many more hours to come. :D

snowing v light here .... whats later on going to bring or is this it now ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Altitude difference showing again. Settling readily on the grass here, turning whiter and whiter, the shed roof also has a slushy dusting. As temperatures dip below freezing everywhere should get covered before long.

Now you'l understand why im apprehensive, downbeat and un-sure of every snow event - until its actually starting to lay.

Posted

Whilst I'm at it, I may as well explain the lot! :D

SF2 - Grass and old cars begin to gather snow. Other old metals and soils accumulate as well.

SF3 - All cars, gardens and other materials begin to look white. Roofs begining to gather snow.

SF4 - Everything except roads and pavements are mostly covered. Perhaps pavement begin to tinge with white.

SF5 - Pavements, and side roads gather snow. Perhaps main/busy roads begin to look white.

SF6 - White-out (1-2")

SF7 - 2-5"

SF8 - 5-10"

SF9 - 10-30"

SF10 - 1 Foot and above.

Also, I've reached SF5 now. :D

lol I'll have to copy that for reference!

I'm in SF3 hoping that by the time I get back to Brierley Hill I get an upgrade!

Posted

Now you'l understand why im apprehensive, downbeat and un-sure of every snow event - until its actually starting to lay.

I'm sure if you went on the main roads through Cannock Chase there would be a covering, just the height above sea level is making a huge difference.

Posted

how as it looks like the end of the front is moving north now ??? or am i looking at it wrong

Posted

The rain band has lost alot of intensity over the last couple of hours it doesnt look that exciting for later on now, need to see this reversed soon otherwise it might not turn out quite as good as expected.

Posted

how as it looks like the end of the front is moving north now ??? or am i looking at it wrong

I see it... Western flank seems to be standing still while the East moves North...

Posted

Malvern is a mess. Left work in Worcester at 2pm on advice that home was bad, even though none had settled in Worcester. So managed to get bus part way home, then had to walk 3 miles as the buses to Malvern Wells were off due to snow. Not to mention that fire...

So 3 hours later I have just got home and am knackered and WHERE ARE THE GRITTERS. I saw one snow plow that was just compacting the snow and making it worse!

ARGH.

Oh, and there's about 5 inches of snow.

Edited by Cornflake Girl

Posted

Malvern is a mess. Left work in Worcester at 2pm on advice that home was bad, even though none had settled in Worcester. So managed to get bus part way home, then had to walk 3 miles as the buses to Malvern Wells were off due to snow. Not to mention that fire...

So 3 hours later I have just got home and am knackered and WHERE ARE THE GRITTERS. I saw one snow plow that was just compacting the snow and making it worse!

ARGH.

If it's causing you bother I will gladly take the snow off your hands :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Even "Out West" we have decent snow falling... been on and off lightish stuff all day but now pretty heavey...

Not sticking at the moment.

Posted

If it's causing you bother I will gladly take the snow off your hands :D

If you'd be so kind! It's not stopping anytime soon & I don't think I could face another week of being snowed in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

agreed....I'm slightly lower down than you (100m asl) but snow is starting to settle here as we havent had much precip today, so the ground is only damp rather than puddly.......Well, the front itself might be grinding to a halt on its northern western extent, but bands of precip are still pushing NWwards through the frontal mass, so I would hazard a guess due to the wraparound effect, that areas currently seeing snowfall are likely to see more of the same for several hours to come

Posted

Snow settling nicely 50-100 meters up the road, all surfaces to wet here though.

Nice fluffy flakes, i wouldn't quite call it moderate intensity but its not that light either :D

The weekend may well be interesting, looks a bit messy though.

Posted

Yep, western half of the precip is almost stationary, while the eastern side is still ever so slightly moving north. In theory, whichever way you look at it the Birmingham area can't miss the heavy or very heavy snow that it would bring- as one side its shifting north and the other side will pull back eastwards, all heading toward Birmingham.

That's what I'm hoping will happen...

A fresh burst of intensity wouldn't hurt either...

Posted

Yep, western half of the precip is almost stationary, while the eastern side is still ever so slightly moving north. In theory, whichever way you look at it the Birmingham area can't miss the heavy or very heavy snow that it would bring- as one side its shifting north and the other side will pull back eastwards, all heading toward Birmingham.

That's what I'm hoping will happen...

Very heavy snow in Bromsgrove at the moment even at 65 meter above sea level there's a good covering here and on the roads to! :whistling:

Look at the tilt on that get in there my son, more snow for brum area :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

Whilst I'm at it, I may as well explain the lot! :whistling:

SF6 - White-out (1-2")

SF7 - 2-5"

SF8 - 5-10"

SF9 - 10-30"

SF10 - 1 Foot and above.

Also, I've reached SF5 now. :drinks:

I'm at SF3 now - can't see this proper settling at all though it's so wet on the paths/roads. Looking at the radar, I can't see where another 8 hrs of snowfall (which was progged to happen) is going to come from unless everything just stays still.

Lovely to see it coming down though, even if it's not sticking yet.

Malvern's had a brilliant snowfall all day, hasn't it. Wish I was there :-)

Posted

post-5649-12665125553117_thumb.png

if it does hit us how long will it last tho.... i would rather have prolonged mod snow for a good 6 hours than v heavy 4 1-2 hours?? also follwoing that there is nothing else... or is there... sorry i not good at predicting this one