IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

That's a nice way to wake up! After yesterday's frolicking in the snow of the Lake District fells, I've got my own little winter wonderland outside the window...joy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Snow looking heavy out towards Manchester according to radar. I reckon theres about 2-3cm here, and still snowing.

Got up, it was belting down in Warrington - then look at the radar and the back edge is here already.

A rather feeble inch / 2-3 cm I would estimate.

Enjoyed a wonderful day of winter walking between Grasmere and Langdale over the fells. Plenty of snow cover right down to low levels in some places especially in Great Langdale.

Sounds good.

Interesting about Langdale, I posted some time back about a band of wintry weather (December 1st-2nd) that moved in from the west in which the snow was mainly on high ground generally above 1000 feet/300 metres for the northern Pennines and around 1500 feet/450 metres for the Peak District. However webcams revealed a surprising cover of snow the next day in the Langdale area at heights of only 100-120 metres.

Whilst it is possible that precipitation is enhanced and lowers the freezing level I wonder if it is more likely that the area is occasionally susceptible to having trapped temperature inversions, with the bulk of the Scafell range hindering mixing of the air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Western slopes in Langdale were pretty bare of snow yesterday at lower levels but eastern slopes remained white throughout.

Appears that this system is pivoting a little further north than even the 00z GFS run is suggesting - according to that the Manchester-Liverpool areas should be under the snow band until lunchtime. This is still the MetO forecast also. Some showers crossing north Wales now may add a little more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

It appears to have stopped snowing here atm

Posted

What a surprise this morning! About 3 inches of snow and it's still coming down, albeit very light, Just check raintoday and it looks like we've had the best of it for now.

It was a clear and starry when I went to bed - lovely crisp evening mellow.gif

snowfeb2.jpg

Edited by loobiloo

Does seem to have moved through faster and further north than the models hinted, perhaps snow tomorrow is on the cards again. The GFS suggests this, though the Met Office backed down from this after their very early warning. Now they've warned Wednesday and this region is smack in the middle of it. Maybe that's the kiss of death!

Posted

The official forecasts don't seem to show any concensus at the moment. I checked them yesterday and there was no hint of this, and now some are predicting heavy snow in this region for Monday (tomorrow) while others say Tuesday and/or Thursday. I guess it depends on whether or not they've updated their forecast since this latest episode... or maybe it's just the unpredicatable nature of the weather at the moment closedeyes.gif

Edited by loobiloo

Posted

wow-been snowing for another 1/2 hour here-belting down, no wind-large flakes coming down vertically

of course no one has any idea where you are!

pop your town in your avatar please then we all know where you talking about

thanks

Posted

of course no one has any idea where you are!

pop your town in your avatar please then we all know where you talking about

thanks

.........see sig at bottom

Posted

Not for the first time this remarkable winter, I've woken up to a nice white covering of the clean looking white stuff outside. Finally getting some fruition to the cold feeling week we've just had. Looks quite promising for further falls of snow during the coming week, although I expect if the suns comes out, rapid thaw will set in during the day.