Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

very much a rainy situation here at 100m asl. Thats doesn't bode well for those at lower altitudes (pretty much everywhere in northwest given I'm the highest altitude relative the distance from coast in NW England, excuding Cumbria) near the coast.

Posted

Been snowing here since about 4pm. Never heavy & it's only in the last couple of hours that it's started to settle on cars & grass. I'm sure on the higher ground just a mile up the road, there will be a decent covering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Still just fine sleety snow here, no settling and pretty much all of the previous lying has snow has gone now.

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

The wife says its snowing like mad at home in chorley but not sticking to the road yet.

We had wet snow for about 3/4 hr after a couple hrs of rain , it's now turned back to rain ...so not expecting anything overnight here

Been for a drive up Rivington this evening - about 2" and was coming down thick and fast. Should have a nice white cap in the morning even if we dont have any - currently 2.4c here after recent snow that didnt stick - did get down to about 1.5c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I really hope the 18z comes off, several chances for heavy snow in the next week or so at least for the southern half of the region. Mind you it only needs to change position say 100 miles or so and we could be dry or very wet!

Edited by James M

Posted

Still snowing modertatly here hasn't stopped since 6:30pm. I can see that the band has shrunk considerably and I expect this snow to move out isoon as its starting to ease off slightly. Got a covering of perhaps 2cm. 3cm at a push. Still nice to see after we weren't forecast any. Looking at the 18z some potential next week something to keep an eye on! drinks.gif

Edited by NW_Blackburn

Posted

I really hope the 18z comes off, several chances for heavy snow in the next week or so at least for the southern half of the region. Mind you it only needs to change position say 100 miles or so and we could be dry or very wet!

Seriously,if that comes off i will eat my own balls.

Posted

The snow stopped for about 15mins and I thought that was it. But it's started again here! drunk.gif

Posted

Looking at the radar I'm quite surprised at how well the band over the NW from say Northwich upto Clitheroe is doing presently, still showing moderate pluses, I personally thought it would have decayed in the NW, could well be adding another 1-2cms in the next 90 mins or so inbetween those two locations mentioned earlier in the post.

As for next week, just about anything could happen really, the models are a mess with regards to exactly where the precip will be, however you've got as good a chance as any to get some fun, esp if the lows cut W-E rather then at an angle like today.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

When I woke up briefly at 1.30 it was still snowing then. We have about 3cm of light fluffy snow covering everything, no wind so every twig and branch has a covering.

Shadowfax

Posted

Woke to a light covering of snow, and fog too. I have looked at three different forecasts for the coming week and all are different, ranging from mild & cloudy to heavy snow here on Monday/Thursday. I suppose it's anyone's guess what will actually happen!

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

When i left work in Liverpool this morning it was very icy with black ice patches on the way to chorley it was snowing at switch island and fog on the M6 and frosty here in chorley.

Heading to bambury near oxford tomorrow morning, so need to find out the weather prospects for that area till Monday.

Posted

No snow in Preston again this morning. Fairly heavy persistent rain for most of last evening had led to some serious problems on the roads this morning. M55 between Preston & Kirkham is full of cars that have skidded on black ice, and its also foggy adding to the hazards. As for here a bit further up the M6 its cold and clear, and at the moment it looks like its going to be another nice day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

well theres a surprise our heavy snow monday,is now replaced with heavy rainnonono.gif

talking of rain 9 hrs of persistant light rain last night,no sign of any wintriness at all

correct me if i am wrong,but i thought it was meant to be cold..................

C.S

Posted

Listening to the forecast on radio Lancs this morning though there's still obviously a fair amount of uncertainty. She would not even commit to a forecast for Sunday and said "its still up in the air"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

heavy hail/snow shower here ATM given a quick dusting

C.S

Posted

For the third morning this week a thin covering of snow in Summerseat.

Thicker covering from 200m upwards and also Blackburn area seemed to catch more snow too. Roads very icy everwhere this morning, saw many accidents on the snow/ice.

Just frost and fog once down onto the M6 at Preston.

Posted

Another couple of cm fell overnight, fog was horrific this am, has caused major problems on M62, believe it was closed due to several accidents around junc 22, but now lifting as we appraoch lunchtime. Temp is currently 0.9oC. Pic taken about an hour ago

11:20 - the sun is begining to poke through with some patches of clear blue skies ;o)

post-3616-12665764003317_thumb.jpg

Edited by Storm Animal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Just had a light grauple/hail shower. Convection of the Irish Sea will do our region good today! :D

I think many places will see a temporary covering at times.

Under another shower of hailstone atm. I think today will turn out well. :)

Posted

Just had a light grauple/hail shower. Convection of the Irish Sea will do our region good today! :D

I think many places will see a temporary covering at times.

Under another shower of hailstone atm. I think today will turn out well. :)

Wet and murkey with the odd sunny spell here :) It's not that cold here either, so maybe under some warmer influences. It's still coat weather mind.

Glad some places in the Northwest got a covering, our bubble anti snow shield is firmly in up and working :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Wet and murkey with the odd sunny spell here :D It's not that cold here either, so maybe under some warmer influences. It's still coat weather mind.

Glad some places in the Northwest got a covering, our bubble anti snow shield is firmly in up and working :)

All systems are go on out anti-snow sheild!

Only places around the cheshire/manchester area that got some snow, was those VERY high up.

Reguarding the warmer influences, yes we are. The Irish sea is modifying our temperatures because the wind is Westerly. The up side is, that any showers will have alot of convection in them, and will provide very heavy hail at times.

I had a hailstorm last month from a Westerly. It gave 2 inches of hail (my sig says 1 inch but it was more like 2).

3.4c.

Just had a glance at the radar! We have a powerful shower coming our way (People around the Halton/Liverpool area).

Backtrack's estimate = 1CM OF HAIL.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Not exactly True BackTrack, I'm not high up at all and we got snow. It was also snowing in Haydock today which isn't high up.

It's been sunny here all day :s I live in Haydock :closedeyes: If it did snow, and granted ive been outside for most of the day, it was light and quick.

I live top end, near ashton :acute: It's cold tho, but ive been out sorting my pond/garden.

Edited by gearbox1001