Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Woke up to a covering of about 2cm this morning with dense fog too which made driving conditions a bit tricky! Fog lifted soon after and the sun has started to come through with clear sky. Pleasantly warm when your in the sun!

Edited by NW_Blackburn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Afternoon All

watched the Look northwest weather at 1340 on BBC1

and basically for the next 36 hrs,by day sunshine and wintry showers,by night frost and cold temps down to around -2c

Then the best bit was Sun-Mon SIGNIFICANT SNOW SHOWERS.....and then after a 5 second pause she said probably?

talk about sitting on the fence.....so basically if you have to travel sun-mon we are non the wiser as ref to any wintry

weather.

C.S

Posted

Finally a decent snow event for NW England, and arriving at the best time aswell (6AM)

prectypeuktopo.png

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Showers of rain and graupel here, nothing too exciting.

However.. the Welsh hill are white and looking down towards Chester is also white.

It's only this little portion of subtropical Wirral that seem to be getting rain and where the grass is green.

Posted

All systems are go on out anti-snow sheild!

Only places around the cheshire/manchester area that got some snow, was those VERY high up.

Reguarding the warmer influences, yes we are. The Irish sea is modifying our temperatures because the wind is Westerly. The up side is, that any showers will have alot of convection in them, and will provide very heavy hail at times.

I had a hailstorm last month from a Westerly. It gave 2 inches of hail (my sig says 1 inch but it was more like 2).

3.4c.

Just had a glance at the radar! We have a powerful shower coming our way (People around the Halton/Liverpool area).

Backtrack's estimate = 1CM OF HAIL.

I know in MAcclesfield we are a little higher up but not 'very' high up at all. WE got a couple of inches of wet snow that looked very pretty but had melted by 1pm. Hills around are still white. Thick fog most of the morning with light snow falling. Brief snow shower this afternoon but the sun stayed shining

Posted

Finally a decent snow event for NW England, and arriving at the best time aswell (6AM)

prectypeuktopo.png

Loving that chart!! No warning from the MetOffice though.

It's been sunny here all day :s I live in Haydock :lol: If it did snow, and granted ive been outside for most of the day, it was light and quick.

I live top end, near ashton :lol: It's cold tho, but ive been out sorting my pond/garden.

Yep, was shortly after the fog, rogue shower for about 5 minutes. You know the Parks?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Loving that chart!! No warning from the MetOffice though.

Yep, was shortly after the fog, rogue shower for about 5 minutes. You know the Parks?

The BBC have a weather warning: There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting Wales, The Midlands and northern England during Monday.

Snow may lead to significant accumulations in places

Posted

The BBC have a weather warning: There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting Wales, The Midlands and northern England during Monday.

Snow may lead to significant accumulations in places

This is for Sunday morning, the warning is for Monday, by the looks of it, it wont even snow on Monday. This has come out of nowhere on the models so don't be surprised to see further movements of this front. If anything I wouldn't be surprised to see the models push this front further south to the extent that it only affects the midlands.

Edited by 10123

Posted

A beautiful mostly clear day here in south east cumbria, travelling to and from Windermere to Sedbergh was a joy. The fells are covered in deep thick snow, the snowline being generally around 400m but lower in sheltered northern and eastern parts, contrasting with the green fields on lower ground. I noticed the western Pennines to quite low levels must have seen a fair bit of snow overnight.

Hoping we finally catch some low level snow here in Sunday, we seem to be in a bit of a snow shield, all the fun and action being reserved for the south of the region.

Maximum temp of 4 degrees after a low of -3 degrees, tonight is looking very cold with widespread clear skies, -5 degrees for many inland parts around here, locally -7 or -8.

Posted

All eyes on the development for next Thursday, if that came off I would eat my hat, and Britain, would crumble to her knees.

Yeah i know the parks and i was still drinking tea while it was foggy thinking of ponds and gravel :lol: Nice to see its snow now rather than the rain we had last night. Sunday/Monday looks promising, as far as the weather people are sticking to that firmly which i was a little suprised.

btw update (It is really snowing in Haydock)

Big flakes too :D

Stopped now, was a shower, very sleety at times, but then very pufffy and snowy too at times :) mixed and wintry. Bring on some more

Edited by gearbox1001

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
<br />Showers of rain and graupel here, nothing too exciting. <br /><br />However.. the Welsh hill are white and looking down towards Chester is also white.<br /><br />It's only this little portion of subtropical Wirral that seem to be getting rain and where the grass is green.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I have relatives in Chester - No snow there.

Just had an amazing hail shower. Left a decent covering. Hail stones were bigger than peas!

got 0.5 - 1cm.

Posted

<br /><br /><br />

I have relatives in Chester - No snow there.

Just had an amazing hail shower. Left a decent covering. Hail stones were bigger than peas!

got 0.5 - 1cm.

we had a breif heavy snow shower, but its near all melted now :( It was nice tho and very wintry for a small time :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

we had a breif heavy snow shower, but its near all melted now :( It was nice tho and very wintry for a small time :)

Ah right.

My hail isnt melting.

Temperature is 0.8c so it's going no where. :)

Posted

My sister in law rang from the middle of Chester this afternoon and said they were having snow showers with huge flakes but nothing was sticking. We've only had rain here. :-(

Posted

This is for Sunday morning, the warning is for Monday, by the looks of it, it wont even snow on Monday. This has come out of nowhere on the models so don't be surprised to see further movements of this front. If anything I wouldn't be surprised to see the models push this front further south to the extent that it only affects the midlands.

yeah I thought that...does that mean met o dont give that chart much creedence?

Posted

yeah I thought that...does that mean met o dont give that chart much creedence?

They seem all very quiet about Monday, suppose see what happens saturday night into sunday. Northwest tonight forcast a spell of snow, but nothing of major (dusting) saturday night into sunday. Monday is anyones guess.

Posted

A bit of wet snow coming down about 9am this morning, but it's been mostly rain. Again. mad.gif

Thankfully it's clear now after nightfall, so not only are the temperatures on their way down but the ground has time to dry up. Anything which falls tonight has NO excuse to be anything other than snow...

Posted

The overnight covering melted by mid morning. Further snow showers throughout the day, which didn't settle.

Then a heavier shower 7-7.30, which has given another covering. currently dry & a frost setting in.

Posted

We still have a covering from yesterday, but now we have freezing fog, everything is becomming covered in a layer of white frost, very pretty, but deadly under foot, the local weather station is giving a ground temperature of minus 4.5. Looking at the radar is that irish sea streamer moving to the north a bit so it may give us some thing later?

Shadowfax

Posted

Surprised ther eisn't more talk about next week in this thread, the 06z model has shifted the threat a little further north which certainly brings the NW very much into play, the 06z GFS would probably give some places upwards to a foot of snow if taken at face value...

Still time for shifts southwards but I'd be more interested today, esp for those close to the Manchester region...

Tomorrow early hours could be interesting for you guys as well...

So plenty to look out for in the NW, the southern parts are almost prime time!

Posted

Surprised ther eisn't more talk about next week in this thread, the 06z model has shifted the threat a little further north which certainly brings the NW very much into play, the 06z GFS would probably give some places upwards to a foot of snow if taken at face value...

Still time for shifts southwards but I'd be more interested today, esp for those close to the Manchester region...

Hello KW, good morning to you.

I have been keeping a close eye on the charts, and yes, at face value the 06Z is a stonker of a run for the NW, but as we have seen, the models change so fast this winter, I think everyone is being very cautious, although I am surprised nobody is posting away, maybe there playing the silent smile game. Here's to next week xD

Posted

I'm trying not to get excited AGAIN as we've had a few disappointments lately and it seems that it has been too difficult to forecast for certain when the snow is coming.

However, I've just seen the forecast on BBC News which actually has snow over South Liverpool overnight tonight.... they don't normally do that unless they're certain and I see you've mentioned it too!

So next week - where, when, how much???? :lol: