Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

We need proper snow such as eastern states in America get. Not this rubbish!

good.gif

supposevely you guys used to get decent snow here in the 80s didnt you?? Yes- I miss my New Jersey and Philadelphia snow too...

Makes the British weather look like crap...

I hope I get onto the uni course I have applied for, involves studying in Oklahoma for a year - that would be AWESOME to a whole new level!

Wow- that would be AWESOME (can I come????!!! lol!!!!) Tornado land or what! The storms out there kick the Eastern US states a**! Before I moved over here me and my best mate bought a car to go tornado chasing in out in the mid-west!!! I moved over here though so we never got the chance cray.gif I hope you get accepted in the collage out there!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Wow- that would be AWESOME (can I come????!!! lol!!!!) Tornado land or what! The storms out there kick the Eastern US states a**! Before I moved over here me and my best mate bought a car to go tornado chasing in out in the mid-west!!! I moved over here though so we never got the chance cray.gif I hope you get accepted in the collage out there!!!!

Aha yeah. In the prospectus it says "storm chasing is strictly optional" - to be honest there is only one option I will take!

Back to the dull Midlands, a bit more snow has come down, but hardly anything to get excited about. I fear that winter is on its way out - but what a winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

I saw plenty of days like today when I lived in Ohio...some parts of eastern USA get marginal stuff too.

I remember when we were warned about a mighty blizzard on the way. Sure enough, heavy snow swirled down but nothing settled because the ground was too warm and the event was too marginal.

Having said that, Ohio have had some incredible amounts of snow this winter.

I've never been a fan of wet snow days when it doesn't settle like today. My personal opinion is that its just like a miserable wet day. So am I dissappointed today? No, not really, it all happened as i expected. With the set up we have and the timing of it...i'm surprised we've got as much falling snow as we have.

I'm an all or nothing person. I either want a proper big freeze like early January or nothing at all. It might be because I live in Wordsley and snow finds it hard to settle here unless its really cold. I do accept that Atlantic systems will always be a part of our weather and that they will always be fickle to work out in these situations.

I also like a good strong northerly, that usually brings lying snow in Wordsley too.

I have a split personality right now...half of me is looking for a decent snow event and the other half is looking for the first 15C+. I don't really fancy anymore 5C and cloudy days or marginal rain/snow mixes.

Deffo agree with you there, 5C is CRAP. I would love -10C or 30C, severe supercells, or blizzards, and I even dont mind a really deep atlantic low with torrential rains and high winds! (Uks closest thing to hurricanes!!)

Im tired of this mundane weather, and I also find myself still looking in FI for more snow, but then switching my mind to wanting it to be like 15+C and hail showers with potential storms...

Edited by Crimson_Sprite

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Aha yeah. In the prospectus it says "storm chasing is strictly optional" - to be honest there is only one option I will take!

Back to the dull Midlands, a bit more snow has come down, but hardly anything to get excited about. I fear that winter is on its way out - but what a winter.

Erm, Nick....I hate to break the bad news, but Oklahoma is very hot during the summer, and your hatred of all things warm is legendary in this forum...may I suggest a better uni placement....northern Siberia, or perhaps even Neptune??..... :whistling: :lol: (sorry mate, just couldnt resist!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Hearing the talk about moving to where there's more snow, thought i'd point out that i may be moving to Leicester later this year which is rather the opposite as i will no longer have reason to be smug when snow is only forecast for higher ground lol. Maybe i will have to re-register with a different name.... sad.gif

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!

Where abouts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Hearing the talk about moving to where there's more snow, thought i'd point out that i may be moving to Leicester later this year which is rather the opposite as i will no longer have reason to be smug when snow is only forecast for higher ground lol. Maybe i will have to re-register with a different name.... sad.gif

Move to Buxton t always gets pasted by snow and if my memory serves me right there has been at least some snow around the Hills of Buxton since Mid December they even had 5 days of Snowfall in November the jammy sods.

Edited by Derbyshire_snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Deffo agree with you there, 5C is CRAP. I would love -10C or 30C, severe supercells, or blizzards, and I even dont mind a really deep atlantic low with torrential rains and high winds! (Uks closest thing to hurricanes!!)

Im tired of this mundane weather, and I also find myself still looking in FI for more snow, but then switching my mind to wanting it to be like 15+C and hail showers with potential storms...

One thing I really miss about the states is the extreme weather...I posted in the 'storm discussion' thread a year or so ago about storm system that ploughed through PA & Maryland back in 2002....Straight line wind speeds of 75mph during a supercell that hit Pittsburgh, it seriously damaged a theme park if my memory serves me, we had an EF1 touch down just a few miles away from us in Martinsburg & Saxton, we saw the funnel from 6 miles distance, it was pretty awesome....The downside though was that this was the system which spawned an EF4 in La Plata, MD which sadly resulted in several fatalities... :D .....Snow falls could be exceptional as well...We had a winter storm system pass through in Jan 2002, which dumped 15 inches in less than 8 hours...incredible!...

...talking of winter storm systems....we havent got one here right now... :whistling: :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Just has another snow shower - am relishing each and every one as there may not be many more this winter!

Posted

Erm, Nick....I hate to break the bad news, but Oklahoma is very hot during the summer, and your hatred of all things warm is legendary in this forum...may I suggest a better uni placement....northern Siberia, or perhaps even Neptune??..... :whistling: :lol: (sorry mate, just couldnt resist!)

They have the miracle invention of air conditioning in America! If we had air conditioning in every building in Britain then I would welcome a 2003 heatwave as I can stay cool indoors. And I will be there from September til May - no summer!

Besides, 3 of those 4 years will be in Blighty - namely Reading (If I get the grades of course!). I shall vacate the Midlands thread and become a south easterner *bows head in shame*.

No Albion for a year Nick?! Then again that might do you a favour.laugh.gif

I'll have none of that thanks :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

They have the miracle invention of air conditioning in America! If we had air conditioning in every building in Britain then I would welcome a 2003 heatwave as I can stay cool indoors. And I will be there from September til May - no summer!

Besides, 3 of those 4 years will be in Blighty - namely Reading (If I get the grades of course!). I shall vacate the Midlands thread and become a south easterner *bows head in shame*.

laugh.gif

Good luck for then, dude.cool.gif

May the snow follow you where ever you go (as well as warm dry sunny weather in the Summer mixed with huge storms).smile.gif

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted

Good luck for then, dude.cool.gif

May the snow follow you where ever you go (as well as warm dry sunny weather in the Summer mixed with huge storms).smile.gif

Thanks :lol:. I don't mind warmth if it brings whopping thunderstorms - but it rarely does!

Heavy-ish burst of snow here, but still nothing settling much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Some moderate snow falling, although with some very wet flakes. I kinda hope it doesn't turn into rain yet.

Posted

My rain report was quite possibly wrong, based on radar showing quite heavy precip but me not seeing much via lamppost, so turned on security light and thought what I saw was rain. But a few mins later its certainly snow.

Actually if I want conditions to change slightly then I usually find posting here gets a result - a number of times in recent days I have reported small flakes only to look up and see large flakes.

Posted

Well it's been snowing here for 5 hours, is now quite heavy, and STILL refuses to settle. This is woeful even in this winter of letdowns. All we've had from this latest "cold snap" was 2cm on Sunday morning which had all gone by midday. Just 2 days with snow lying this month despite 9 with it falling- pathetic!

Posted

snowing here in Long Eaton now! It can't seem to make it's mind up though whether it is going to be sleet or snow!!! lol!!! was snowing in Loughborough when I left work at 5pm, and I came home to sleet, but looks like it is picking up quite nicely, especially in the last few minutes!!!

Posted

Well after my last post it changed again - we got a burst of large snow which gave more snow cover to grass & roofs in a 10-15 minute timeperiod than several hours of snow managed to give earlier today. But then it suddenly changed to sleet or even rain again.

Edited by SteveElbows

Posted

Bloody nora!! just had the most massive flakes here 3 inches across!!!???

On the radar that is heading STRAIGHT for LE3 :D I have just got back from training and it snowed heavily for around 20 minutes and the astro turf had a dusting on by the time we finished. Big shower heading towards me, should be here any minute now...

Posted

Bloody nora!! just had the most massive flakes here 3 inches across!!!???

Yes I had the joy of seeing those a few minutes ago. They were the biggest I have seen this year. Maybe the biggest Ive ever seen, not sure, as I havent paid as much attention to snow in the past. It made tonight a memorable event, can just imagine what a sustained period of flakes that size would do for depths. Also makes me think that a childhood memory of seeing a really huge flake stick to the classroom window has not been exagurated all that much in my mind after all.

For the first time I can relate to a post in another regions thread the other day about flakes the size of 'small plates'. I saw some tonight that could be getting close to small saucer sized.

I thank the stars that band wasnt rain, for it was one of the few times this winter that Nuneaton has been hit by a green blob according to the radar. Another heavy band looms and I wait with trepidation to see if its snow or not, and whether it will bring more monster flakes, if it even hits us and stays strong that is.

On the radar that is heading STRAIGHT for LE3 :D I have just got back from training and it snowed heavily for around 20 minutes and the astro turf had a dusting on by the time we finished. Big shower heading towards me, should be here any minute now...

I hope you get it in all its glory, it was special. I just said it was a few minutes ago, but it took me a while to post the message so it was a while ago longer than that for me now, already becoming a distant memory, lol, say hello to the megaflakes from me when you see them.

Edited by SteveElbows

Posted

Yes I had the joy of seeing those a few minutes ago. They were the biggest I have seen this year. Maybe the biggest Ive ever seen, not sure, as I havent paid as much attention to snow in the past. It made tonight a memorable event, can just imagine what a sustained period of flakes that size would do for depths. Also makes me think that a childhood memory of seeing a really huge flake stick to the classroom window has not been exagurated all that much in my mind after all.

For the first time I can relate to a post in another regions thread the other day about flakes the size of 'small plates'. I saw some tonight that could be getting close to small saucer sized.

I thank the stars that band wasnt rain, for it was one of the few times this winter that Nuneaton has been hit by a green blob according to the radar. Another heavy band looms and I wait with trepidation to see if its snow or not, and whether it will bring more monster flakes, if it even hits us and stays strong that is.

I hope you get it in all its glory, it was special. I just said it was a few minutes ago, but it took me a while to post the message so it was a while ago longer than that for me now, already becoming a distant memory, lol, say hello to the megaflakes from me when you see them.

Ok just looked out and I am seeing something I thought I wouldn't see tonight... The snow is actually settling now on all surfaces :D Cars are white now, pavements going white, so is road. The flakes are 50p size at the moment, the biiiig monster flakes might not be far away though!

Posted

Am I more likely to see megaflakes in these scenarios because some of the variables are a bit marginal for snow, so the flakes are more likely to clump together on the way down?

Ok just looked out and I am seeing something I thought I wouldn't see tonight... The snow is actually settling now on all surfaces :D Cars are white now, pavements going white, so is road. The flakes are 50p size at the moment, the biiiig monster flakes might not be far away though!

Well you may need to keep em peeled because I think here the really stupidly large flakes only lasted a few mins at most, I was lucky enough to illuminate some of them with the garden security light, radar helps me a lot and the bit that went over us wa more narrow at the time than it seems now its reached you.

Edited by SteveElbows

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

still snowing lightly, got dusting, but too light to settle properly, but still im classing it as a day with lying snow