Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Got a covering of snow now on all surfaces, i thought it would of turned to rain by now..reminds me a bit of 29th? 30th? December last year when it snowed nicely here but was pretty much gone the next morning.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Got a covering of snow now on all surfaces, i thought it would of turned to rain by now..reminds me a bit of 29th? 30th? December last year when it snowed nicely here but was pretty much gone the next morning.

good comparison, same time as well tuesday evening, turned milder on the wednesday

Posted

tried to find a video to say just how big the flakes were here ......

honestly they were

Posted

Actually upon replaying the radar I didnt get hit with a green bit, but rather dark blue with green very close by, which in my book can amount to the same thing in reality. Im just killing time waiting for the next wave now.

honestly they were

Yeah Id say the ones I saw were that sort of diameter, but they didnt splat quite so impressively when they landed so not as much volume as the flakes shown near the start of that video.

Posted

honestly they were

biggest flakes ive seen this year was on 19th Feb in the afternoon, 2 huge showers from cheshire gap, shame dont have photos

Posted

good comparison, same time as well tuesday evening, turned milder on the wednesday

Well we've now managed the slightest layer of slush on the cars and grass, but it seems to be thawing as I speak. Lots of comparisons this winter- last Thursday (4-5 hours of sleet/snow with no settling), 29-30th Dec (mostly rain that one), the Saturday before Christmas (unbelievable sleety rain from the north, after 3 days below freezing and 6 inches of snow 50 miles north of here)- how cold do winters need to be before we can see a decent snowfall in this damn town??

Posted

i do feel like this is quite an appropriate night for Nottingham dwellers. Light wet snow, failing to settle has been a familiar tale at times this winter, although there have been some noteable exceptions.

It looks like there may be a little more cold weather to come but my feeling now is undeniably a desire for some springtime warmth and sunshine!! This will all change if a knock out blizzard shows itself on the charts however!

Posted

the uber flakes are back omg these are huge!!!!!!!! i'm trying to get photo's but it's really awkward

Posted

Well we've now managed the slightest layer of slush on the cars and grass, but it seems to be thawing as I speak. Lots of comparisons this winter- last Thursday (4-5 hours of sleet/snow with no settling), 29-30th Dec (mostly rain that one), the Saturday before Christmas (unbelievable sleety rain from the north, after 3 days below freezing and 6 inches of snow 50 miles north of here)- how cold do winters need to be before we can see a decent snowfall in this damn town??

its your elevation, 65m asl most of shrewsbury, I did well last thurs 2 inches but went quick, the Saturday before xmas though 18th Dec that missed me,

Posted

here's a couple of shots, 1st of the street and 2nd of a snowflake about to land on an ordinary sized slab!!!!!

000_0285.jpg

000_0287.jpg

p.s. snow is turning to rain rapidly now, may explain the size of the things!!

Posted

its your elevation, 65m asl most of shrewsbury, I did well last thurs 2 inches but went quick, the Saturday before xmas though 18th Dec that missed me,

And central London is, what, 10m? Even with that disadvantage plus the heat island they seem to manage more snow than here; also a few times this winter they've had snow settling lower down the Severn (Worcester, Gloucester) when it's been sleet or non-settling stuff here. There is something other than elevation that is the matter with this town when it comes to snow, it's almost as if we're right on the coast the way anything marginal goes wet or snow 20 miles away becomes sleet and rain around Shrewsbury.

Posted

here's a couple of shots, 1st of the street and 2nd of a snowflake about to land on an ordinary sized slab!!!!!

p.s. snow is turning to rain rapidly now, may explain the size of the things!!

Yeah its mostly rain here too with the present blob thats overhead, wasnt sure if you would fare better in that regard due to elevation but I guess not. Its making an interesting hissing noise anyway, bye bye snow.

Edited by SteveElbows

Posted

I think when things are marginal it is all to do with precipitation intensity-- in Nottingham this Winter often the green and yellow echoes have missed us and we have been left with lighter precipitation which never properly settles. Gloucester (where my parents live) has done pretty well for snow this year and this is normally a snowless place!

Posted

I think when things are marginal it is all to do with precipitation intensity-- in Nottingham this Winter often the green and yellow echoes have missed us and we have been left with lighter precipitation which never properly settles. Gloucester (where my parents live) has done pretty well for snow this year and this is normally a snowless place!

That is another thing- for some reason the heaviest winter precipitation always misses Shrewsbury, we only ever seem to get really heavy stuff in late spring and summer! The floods we get are mostly caused by the rain in Wales, many of the autumn/winter months with severe flooding recorded less than 100mm here.

Posted

And central London is, what, 10m? Even with that disadvantage plus the heat island they seem to manage more snow than here; also a few times this winter they've had snow settling lower down the Severn (Worcester, Gloucester) when it's been sleet or non-settling stuff here. There is something other than elevation that is the matter with this town when it comes to snow, it's almost as if we're right on the coast the way anything marginal goes wet or snow 20 miles away becomes sleet and rain around Shrewsbury.

I've never understood why Shrewsbury does so awfully at snow events to, places like Ironbridge much lower down and by the river always seem to do much better aswell.

The dusting of snow here in Telford is beginning to melt with drizzly rain blowing through the wind now.

Posted

I've never understood why Shrewsbury does so awfully at snow events to, places like Ironbridge much lower down and by the river always seem to do much better aswell.

The dusting of snow here in Telford is beginning to melt with drizzly rain blowing through the wind now.

Yes, Ironbridge/Broseley does OK despite the power station nearby, and the river there being lower than here. The fact that Ironbridge doesn't miss the snow seems to suggest the river might not be the culprit. However I still think there is something around Shrewsbury that raises the dewpoints/humidity round here compared to surrounding areas- as well as the lack of lying snow we often see fog and low cloud when other areas are sunny in winter, and convective cloud forming here more readily than in most places on bright summer days (something that satellite pics seem to confirm, as does comparing Shawbury's summer sunshine stats with elsewhere in the Midlands)- on hot sticky days it always feels much "fresher" in Telford and South Shropshire at the same temperature.

Posted

This is a little oddity - snow's falling well and trying to settle to the east of the city, yet to the west, it's much more sleety and not settling!

Anyone who cares about Nottingham want to work that out? unsure.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

The weatherman on ITV central has just put the nail into the coffin of Winter 09/10 today lol.

Got temps of 5-6c for the weekend and torrential rain on Sunday. So much for snow :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Virtually all the snow has melted now. Temperature has reached the dizzy heights of 7c! Heatwave or what.

Posted

Virtually all the snow has melted now. Temperature has reached the dizzy heights of 7c! Heatwave or what.

I noticed the GFS data is suggesting a 30% risk of a storm this evening. Obviously wouldn't be anything major but perhaps a few rumbles of thunder mixed in with some rain.

That would cheer me up if it came off. What does everyone else think of the storm potential later today?

It's certainly dark enough here in a now pretty much snow-free Northampton.

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted

I saw a forecast earlier, on BBC, in which the forecaster stated a major destructive storm was heading for Portugal, Spain and France during the weekend. I hope it doesn't reach us it looked very badshok.gif

Posted

Rmgfs184.gif

The GFS seems to be very specific on saying were be the only place to get down to 0c tonight!

It was horridly grim till around 2:30pm today but since then its been lovely and Springlike with the temperature hovering just above 8c and some nice sunny spells and the highish dewpoints helping to make it feel great aswell.