Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Seems to have jumped back into life again after a quick snooze. Will it last long but a bit of Ash with this one too by the looks of it.

Lots of Ash with this plume now...

Yup big style worth looking for column collapse if it blows harder.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It really does seem that any breaks dont last long so on the whole right now id say this Volcano was near constant in terms of emitting steam/ash etc.

Posted

ok folks i have finally tracked down some seismic activity for the area.http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/ now if you have google chrome you can use the translate option which pops up.

after looking there does seem on the face of it to be a slight increase in seismic activity at the bigger sister one to watch me thinks.

LO

Posted

ok folks i have finally tracked down some seismic activity for the area.http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/ now if you have google chrome you can use the translate option which pops up.

after looking there does seem on the face of it to be a slight increase in seismic activity at the bigger sister one to watch me thinks.

LO

Cheers for that. My bookmarks are increasing rapidly.

Posted

From Icenews.is

A University of Iceland geophysicist says there are now clear signs that the Eyjafjallajokull volcano, which began erupting on Wednesday, is slowing down. Attention is now turning to the more violent Katla volcano which many fear will erupt next.

Posted

I was thinking that quote seemed a bit odd - especially watching some of the eruptions yesterday and today! Also if you go to the 'Invent' section on the Met Office website and click on 'Cloud vis' you can clearly see the plume heading south from Iceland which is presumably going to effect the UK/Europe

Certainly seems to have died down over the last 30 mins or so though..

Very interesting this though I hope it clears to allow flights back soon for all the people that are stuck.

Edit: as soon as I say that it begins to get more active again!

Yes the Met office were saying they were getting info that the plume was going too 28,000 FT. Some information confusion going on here.

From Icenews.is

Me thinks present Volcano may have something to say about that.

Posted

realy dont want the other one to go off...will shadow the current crisis by a long shot...last time this volcano erupted not long after

Should a much larger volcano erupt, like the Katla volcano in Iceland (which may well happen in the next few days/weeks), we may see planes grounded for extremely long time...

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

If Katla erupted, would that effect us aswell?

Posted

If Katla erupted, would that effect us aswell?

All depends on the wind direction and how big and how long the eruption continues.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I hardly think its slowing down. Its just more in pulses now and frequent pulses at that.

Posted

Another big pulse. At the end of the day no one knows what the volcano is going to do next. It wasn't long ago one of the experts was saying no eruption was likely. This present eruption gave very little notice.

Posted

scientist SKY NEWS said the ma mouth Katla is connected to this one and there is all the possibility it will erupt....but its NOT a definite...

Posted

Another big pulse. At the end of the day no one knows what the volcano is going to do next. It wasn't long ago one of the experts was saying no eruption was likely. This present eruption gave very little notice.

Looking at it now I certainly wouldn't want to be downwind of it! It seems to me to be producing more ash than last night.

Posted

Ash is continuing to pour out from this.

Posted

Totally agree PIT - it's anyones guess

For example..

"The volcanic activity has essentially stopped," said Einar Kjartansson, a geophysicist at the Icelandic Meteorological Office. "I believe the eruption has ended."

The above quote was made last Monday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20100412/eu-iceland-volcano-tourism/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

And .......

Volcanic eruption in Iceland unlikely to have global effects, says CU-Boulder scientist

April 16, 2010

The eruption of an Icelandic volcano that sent a huge plume of ash into the atmosphere and caused sweeping disruptions of air traffic over Great Britain and Scandinavia today will likely dissipate in the next several days, according to a University of Colorado at Boulder atmospheric scientist.

http://www.physorg.com/news190630976.html