Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

Yes, I've also visited Solfatara and it stinks to high heaven, but that is right at ground level and on top of the fumaroles, no way can you smell sulphur from the Icelandic volcano in England.

On what evidence do you claim not to be able to smell a slight hint of the icelandic volcano in britain the weather people and several volcanoligists that have been on tv have said we will be able to

If the dust is in the air which it is i have seen it slowly becoming more visable on cars i have been watching this morning you will be able too smell it,

also some people have claimed a strange metalic taste on there lips this has also been confirmed by a volcanoligist yesterday evening that some people may notice this also.

the charts of the cloud is showing it over southern england at present and say that it will be precipitating to groundlevel

so i cannot see how you dismiss even expert opinion as well as observant amatuers

Posted

Are all these Earthquakes and now the volcano exploding normal in a year? Or is it leading up yo 2012? O_O

Nope, perfectly normal. What is unusual is that the weather patterns just happened to mean that ash was blown towards Europe. By the end of next week, a normal stream could resume pushing the ash away over the Arctic.

We're basically at the mercy of the very ground we stand upon, yet it is one of a number of reasons this planet has life in the first place.

Edited by Tom D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Nope, perfectly normal. What is unusual is that the weather patterns just happened to mean that ash was blown towards Europe. By the end of next week, a normal stream could resume pushing the ash away over the Arctic.

Oh right, thanks mate.

Now that I think about it, this year is the only year i watched TV and heard about earthquakes, goes to show how badly the media hype things up.

Posted

Air traffic movement in Germany.

A 747 and Airbus A340 both arrived at Frankfurt following low-level hops from Munich. I suspect this is one avenue the Germans may try with others following suit if it's successful, ie, fly at very low levels over vast areas, then ascend once clear of the plume - which looks like being clear SW Europe.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Looks like it's having a little breather now. Less ash more water vapour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Oh right, thanks mate.

Now that I think about it, this year is the only year i watched TV and heard about earthquakes, goes to show how badly the media hype things up.

Well its worth bearing in mind that the suposed armageddon date of 2012 is only 2 1/2 years away now, and in the last year or so there have been a fair few very damaging earthquakes, Italy, Chile, Haiti, China, all spring to mind, with others being recorded out at Sea in various area. Now we have this lot and and a few other Volcanos around the world showing signs of life like Etna. So worth keeping an open mind maybe. :)

Although I read the other day that the reason that it feels like theres more activity going on is because people have been effected in some way and the quakes have been more in populated areas than normal. But figures show that globally there has been no increase in seismic activity whatsoever so far this year, just average.

Edited by snowray

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Air traffic movement in Germany.

A 747 and Airbus A340 both arrived at Frankfurt following low-level hops from Munich. I suspect this is one avenue the Germans may try with others following suit if it's successful, ie, fly at very low levels over vast areas, then ascend once clear of the plume - which looks like being clear SW Europe.

No they are reposistioning flights so there are no passengers in them and there are actually 5 aircraft now. Ryanair did that yesterday

Posted

No they are reposistioning flights so there are no passengers in them and there are actually 5 aircraft now. Ryanair did that yesterday

Yep, I know that :)

They are trialing/testing using VFR procedures.

Edit: There are about four or five 747's now at Frankfurt and one A340 - talk about getting ready! As Sir Alex would say" typical German's!"

Edited by Mondy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Sun

My flight is due to leave from florida then to Newark then onto heathrow at 1 am UK time when the next decision is being made,t a hotel which looks thing is, I don't want to be stuck in New Jersey as it looks 99% certain that my flight won't happen so I may as well be stuck in florida at my house here.... Don't want to sound ungrateful but as with most people in our situation we have important things to be getting on with at home , this really throws a spanner in the works....but we are counting ourselves as fortunate, there seems to be some horror stories of people stuck abroad

Edit , flight has now been confirmed as cancelled ..... Could be worse places to be stuck.... Might start to take an interest in weather patterns for central florida now!

Posted

The volcanic ash cloud from Iceland is moving around and changing shape. Based on the latest information from the Met Office, NATS advises that the restrictions currently in place across UK controlled airspace will remain in place until at least 0700 (UK time) tomorrow, Sunday 18 April.

There may be some airspace available within Scotland, Northern Ireland and England north of Leeds up till 1900 (UK time), which may enable some domestic flights to operate under individual coordination with ATC. We will be coordinating this closely with airlines and airports. We would repeat, it is most unlikely that many flights will operate today and anyone hoping to travel should contact their airline before travelling to the airport. After 1900 (UK time), Met Office forecasts show the ash cloud progressively covering the whole of the UK.

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and review our arrangements in line with that. We will advise further arrangements at approximately 2100 (UK time), today.. why don't they just shut it for 24 hours each time instead of extending it every 7 hours?? They know it will be still shut in 24 hours so whats the point?

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

Any updates on Katla? All this activity so close to it must be stirring her? :)

Just as I thought, Germany takes the lead.

VALIDITY: 2010/04/17 1200 UNTIL 2010/04/19 1000 ESTIMATED

IN RESPECT TO THE CURRENT SIGMET FOR GERMAN AIRSPACE, DFS WILL

ISSUE IFR CLEARANCES FOR FLIGHTS AT OR ABOVE FL200.

PILOTS ARE REMINDED THAT IN ACCORDANCE WITH CURRENT SIGMET THE

AIRSPACE BELOW FL200 IS CONSIDERED TO BE CONTAMINATED WITH

VOLCANICASH.

IFR FLIGHTS HAVE TO BE CONDUCTED ON PILOTS OWN RISK, SHOULD THE

NECESSITY OCCUR TO DESCEND BELOW FL200 DUE TO ACFT MALFUNCTIONS.

DFS GERMANY

Edited by Mondy

Posted

Any updates on Katla? All this activity so close to it must be stirring her? :)

If this is the case the uk should be shut to thursday.. weres the plane in the southwest going?

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

For the first time here, I can smell eggs in the air. Wind has picked up all day today and NW'ly in direction

Taken an hour ago

So that cloud heading over here is the ash and thats why it took so long to get here?

Posted

Any updates on Katla? All this activity so close to it must be stirring her? :mellow:

The link between Katla and Eyjafjallajok is tenuous at least. One is a very active volcano and the other isn't. Could well be pure chance that Katla erupted after two of Eyjafjallajok eruptions. Still worth watching in case it does. Even though the volcano's are close doesn't mean they're connected internally. Mauna Loa and Kilauea don't dance together for example although they have erupted together in the past they don't share the same plumbing system.

Posted

The link between Katla and Eyjafjallajok is tenuous at least. One is a very active volcano and the other isn't. Could well be pure chance that Katla erupted after two of Eyjafjallajok eruptions. Still worth watching in case it does. Even though the volcano's are close doesn't mean they're connected internally. Mauna Loa and Kilauea don't dance together for example although they have erupted together in the past they don't share the same plumbing system.

i thought katla and Ej were connected

Posted

Not sure if the two are linked underground but I suspect they probably are in some way due to the type of geology in Iceland. Was just reading elsewhere that there are 3 known times when Katla has erupted after Eyjafjallajok.

We have had a very light dusting of ash here too now, a very fine dust on the car.

If Katla blows though, depending on weather etc, it could make all what's going on now seem kinda tame ;-)

Posted

Looks like it's little rest has finished plumes getting larger again. Plus the ash content seems to be back again.

One way to see if there is a link between the two volcano's is too look at the type of lava erupted. Easier to type then find the info though.

Posted

Researchers warn about Katla volcano, along with Eyjafjallajokull

http://www.entertain...l-2010041746778

According to the experts their is a very real chance that Katla may follow despite what

some on this board say.

Could perhaps this volcano be just clearing its throat so to speak, hence all the very dense ash

concentration with a main eruption still to come.

Posted

As Boris Behncke says the link hasn't been proven and at this moment in time it's speculation. Katla just to muddy the waters is due to erupt anyway

Posted

http://volcanism.wordpress.com/2010/03/04/eyjafjallajokull-and-katla-restless-neighbours/

Some volcanoes may be so closely spaced that they are coupled; activity in one system has a profound influence on the other. One such pair includes the Katla and Eyjafjallajökull volcanoes, situated under ice caps in the propagating rift zone in southern Iceland. Katla hosts a caldera and is one of Iceland’s most active volcanoes, with 20 eruptions in the last 1100 years

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2009AGUFM.V32B..03S

Edited by Mondy