Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

I can't get that link to load sad.gif

just tried the vodafone is main website not loading either times out i suspect overload of hits

Posted

Just seen small (4-5cm) patches of a grey/slivery material on the surface of a quite large pond in my garden. At first I thought it was rafts of tiny bubbles, but it could well be ash — it certainly looks like it, and I've never seen anything like it before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

slight hint of rotten egg gas smell in air this morning at 06.00 plus my car had what may have been grey dust in the frost looked at cars thet had been stood at work (Oxford) all night they had a light grey covering of very small particules on them.

i dunno if its just me but i just had a look on my recycling bin and theres a thin layer of dust and its the a red colour,

i cant smell nothing though.

wow intresting stuff it sould ease up later today i cant see it erupting like it has anymore in the near future.

I saved many images last night when it went off big time. Here's a small selection below:

mondy thats whats called a small eruption my god i dread to think what a large eruption is like.

how long could it throw dust up like that for?

great pictures.

Posted

Morning all,

great pics of the eruption. However I can't get over excited as my wife is stuck in Romania at the moment! Her flight was cancelled yesterday and she's been placed on a flight on Thursday. Trouble is I'm getting concerned that even then there will be no flights across Europe. This ash cloud isn't moving very quickly! As Koldweather said earlier in the thread, "can't see much flight activity before Thursday".

Anyone care to forecast whether the wind will clear the stuff before then? We need to decide whether she should get on a train or bus!

Thanks!

Posted

I think a lot of people are concerned....even public transport is fully booked in places...

need a detailed jet Stream forecast..long range

call me pessimistic but I dont feel hopeful for a flight for late next week..with back logs ect..

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well no new updates so far although the eruption seems to be still going strong.

Looks like the window for flying has been several curtailed as a new ash cloud moves in from Iceland catching the old one up.

Some alarmist headlines from the Daily express about ash being dangerous. It is but not in the quantises we're getting. I wish the media would stop trying to cause panics.

The airlines must be getting worried well the small ones anyway as the losses will start if this carries on much longer.

Also signs that the ash is drying the air out very low humidity at 56% this morning.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Looking at GFS run we should have problems until next Friday if the volcano keeps erupting.

Looking at GFS run we should have problems until next Friday if the volcano keeps erupting.

Posted

It was only a matter of time before the Mail started scaremongering with food shortages, fuel shortages and such.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1266568/Volcanic-ash-cloud-100-000-Britons-stranded-Europe-air-traffic-chiefs-extend-lockdown-7am.html

the problem is Tom,some of it might be true...

which do you believe..whats the reality...

Posted
Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Saturday April 17, 0830

The volcanic ash cloud from Iceland is moving around and changing shape. Based on the latest information from the Met Office, NATS advises that the restrictions currently in place across UK controlled airspace will remain in place until at least 0100 (UK time) tomorrow, Sunday 18 April.

We are looking for opportunities when the ash cloud moves sufficiently for us to make some airspace available within Scotland and Northern Ireland, which may enable some domestic flights to operate under individual coordination with ATC; we will be coordinating this closely with airlines and airports. It is most unlikely that many flights will operate today and anyone hoping to travel should contact their airline before travelling to the airport.

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and review our arrangements in line with that. We will advise further arrangements at approximately 1500 (UK time).

www.nats.co.uk

Posted

Not yet it isn't so they don't need to make a crisis before there is one.

Posted

If air travel cannot resume properly until next Friday, and with the Mail encouraging panic buying, then there will be problems. I'm sure a lot of stuff comes by boats though, especially food and possibly fuel?

I can't even begin to imagine what its like to be stuck in a foreign country; of course we hear about people stuck in Spain and the USA, but what about people stranded in places like Asia and the Middle East? My sister returned from Dubai the day before all flights were suspended and I certainly wouldn't have liked the idea of her being stranded there!

Posted

Todays aviation charts for reference:

PGNE14_CL.gif

Flight level 180 (18,000ft)

21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_WIND-TEMP_FL180_36_00Z.png

Flight Level 340 (34,000ft)

21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_WIND-TEMP_FL340_12_00Z.png

euwt05006.gif

Current StatRep:

ASII_20100417_0815.png

NOAA:

n1bcurr.jpg

Gatwick METAR:

METAR text: EGKK 170850Z VRB03KT 9999 FEW004 05/05 Q1023

Conditions at: EGKK (LONDON/GATWICK A, GB) observed 0850 UTC 17 April 2010

Temperature: 5.0°C (41°F)

Dewpoint: 5.0°C (41°F) [RH = 100%]

Pressure (altimeter): 30.21 inches Hg (1023.0 mb)

Winds: variable direction winds at 3 MPH (3 knots; 1.6 m/s)

Visibility: 6 or more miles (10+ km)

Ceiling: at least 12,000 feet AGL

Clouds: few clouds at 400 feet AGL

Weather: no significant weather observed at this time

Posted

a jet full of medicine was due to land here 2 days ago..

according to a scientist Talk Sport late last night...

If it carries on there will be problems with some necessities..

I hate this Volcano!!

Spectacular to watch but misery for many who are stranded

Posted

looks to be getting bigger,nearly blocked all the right hand screen out.

Edited by peterf

Posted

I agree dogs32! This is a real pain, can't believe my wife's flight was on the first day since WWII that UK's airspace was completely closed down!

Starting to look at buses and train from Romania....which is not easy.

Thanks for all opinions and info....keep it going guys!

Posted

Mid and high level forecast for 18.00 hrs:

SWC_1800.gif

At least the jet is heading in the right direction....

21OWS_EUROPE_FITL_PROG-BRIEFING_18.gif

Posted

looks to be getting bigger,nearly blocked all the right hand screen out.

i have noticed just by watching since 5am this morning it appears that the explosions are further up the slope towards the Kayla volcano, now i suspect that if a new hole is opening up then material higher on the slope is falling into the void, i wonder if this will eventually cause the side of the Kayla caldera to explode out as pressure is released (mount st Helens style).

LO

Posted

I agree dogs32! This is a real pain, can't believe my wife's flight was on the first day since WWII that UK's airspace was completely closed down!

Starting to look at buses and train from Romania....which is not easy.

Thanks for all opinions and info....keep it going guys!

good luck to your wife....

maybe it would be best to try find another route home..But this might cost a small fortune,also lots of transport are quite booked..Euro Star I think for one..

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

For anyone stranded maybe looking at this website might help for planning to get back using alternative transport: http://www.seat61.com (a great site, used it when I planned my trip when I went by train London-Brussels-Berslin-Warsaw-Kiev).

I'm due to fly to Krakow on Thursday 6am. Not looking good even if things are running by then. Knew I should have gone by train again!

Posted

If I have my info correct then we are looking at another week of disruption.

Thou a long way off,the airline's still wont get back to normal with back log's ect...

need a forecaster with good news :good: plzzzzz

Edited by dogs32