Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

Yeah this is just plusing, it also slowed down alot this time last night, indeed there is hardly any ash visable on the Sat.images for about 3-4hrs then it kicked back up again, seems its still doing that now as well...

The risk that Katla eventually goes up is quite high I'd have thought, but when it last occured with this current one, if I recall from what I read this volcano stopped, so I'm guessing the real risk will emerge when this one eases off and the pressures shift I'd guess?

Posted

http://www.swisseduc.ch/stromboli/perm/iceland/eyafallajokull_20100416-en.html

Check out the Lightning Pictures in this Link from a Swiss Photographer

wowow.....thats the place to go for lightning practice..

yes Kold....thats what happened last time

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

CEO of KLM wants to "resume flying as soon as possible" after successful test flight. "It's been too long now", he said to Dutch media

Send him in a jet over the volcano he'll soon change his tune. Profits over risk scumbag.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Some info and history on Katla.

Katla Volcano

The home of the Katla volcano is Mýrdalsjökull glacier which is the southernmost glacier in Iceland and is almost 600 km2. It covers the upper part of a large volcano, the Katla caldera. Katla is about 30 km in diameter and the highest parts reach almost 1500 m a.s.l. In the center of the Mýrdalsjökull ice cap is the Katla caldera. It is oval in shape with the longest axis NW-SE and covers an area 110 km2. The highest points of the ice cap lie on the caldera rim and include Goðabunga, Háabunga, Austmannsbunga, Enta, Entukollar. Within the caldera the ice is hundreds of meters thick.

During the summer of 1999 some activity was noted within the Mýrdalsjökull caldera. On the night of the 18th July came a sudden flood in the river Jökulsá á Sólheimasandi. The source of the flood was meltwater from a depression formed simultaneously in the glacier surface, within the ice drainage basin of Sólheimajökull. After the flood existing depressions enlarged and crevasses were formed. The depressions became deeper during the summer and increased in number. The reason was increased geothermal activity. It is possible that there was a small eruption at the head of Sólheimajökull that formed a depression and caused the flood.

Katla erupted very powerfully in 1918 but there are evidence of smaller eruptions after that. Icelandic volcanologists are expecting another eruption in next few years so the Myrdalsjokull glacier and the Katla caldera are monitored quite closely. Just west of Katla and Myrdalsjokull glacier is another glacier, Eyjafjallajokull which is much smaller (50 km²).

http://iceland.vefur.is/iceland_nature/Volcanoes_in_Iceland/katla.htm

Posted

Yeah Katla would certainly cause some huge meltwater event to occur!

This seems to be the type of volcano that will erupt in several phases, it certainly seemed that way back when it last erupted.

Just be glad this isn't Laki going up, as bad as this one is, that one is on a totally other level...then again Yellowstone is even way beyond that one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The current plume looks like almost complete ash right now!

Posted

Floodwarn has tried to put as many links as possible on the new volcano page so that users find it easy to get data and live cams

Certainly as interesting to watch as the nice cold winter we just had.

Posted

Looks like the wind is changing direction again.

Posted

Just been in the garden here in Colchester, I say let the volcano blow its top as much as it likes. Its not until there are no planes in the sky that you realise just how much noise they make, a constant low level rumble. Its lovely outside, no noise, no contrails, no plane lights.

Edited by SnowBear

Posted

Just been in the garden here in Colchester, I say let the volcano blow its top as much as it likes. Its not until there are no planes in the sky that you realise just how much noise they make, a constant low level rumble. Its lovely outside, no noise, no contrails, no plane lights.

I don't live near an airport, well not since Sheffield airport thankfully closed and even I can see /hear the difference. Everyone's saying the same.

Posted

another huge eruption started...and its nothing but ash not steam on this one

no lightning spotted yet

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

another huge eruption started...and its nothing but ash not steam on this one

Indeed, barely any white in the plume, just constant ash. Amazing stuff but i think all this ash still suggests that this volcano still has some life in it yet!

Posted

The current plume looks like almost complete ash right now!

How much of the fact it looks so dark is due to darkness approaching? I agree it looks really dark, was just wondering whether the light conditions would make differences.

Posted

Indeed, barely any white in the plume, just constant ash. Amazing stuff but i think all this ash still suggests that this volcano still has some life in it yet!

Im thinking the longer this goes on the big sister will awake..

already reports of increased activity

Posted

already reports of increased activity

Any links????

Posted

Didn't I read somewhere that the Katla eruptions were up to 2 years after the Eyjafjallajökull ( copy and pasted ) eruptions started? Even if this subsides, we could have problems in 2012 a couple of years time. Think of this a month before the Olympics......

Posted

Any links????

PIT Im referring to the early post of seismic activity

graphs 1-2 pages back?

but also looking through news posts google

Edited by dogs32

Posted

PIT Im referring to the early post of seismic activity

graphs 1-2 pages back?

but also looking through news posts google

Careful of the speculation. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Didn't I read somewhere that the Katla eruptions were up to 2 years after the Eyjafjallajökull ( copy and pasted ) eruptions started? Even if this subsides, we could have problems in 2012 a couple of years time. Think of this a month before the Olympics......

The Mayans might have been right then...rofl.gifrofl.gif

But yeah, Katla erupting a month before the olympics would be quite something. I'm more concerned though with whether there will be a northwesterly wind sourced from the erupting volcano on the 18th June, cause if not there will be 70 annoyed Bell Baxter pupils getting refunds for a school exchange to Baltimore which was cancelled in the most unlikely way possible.

Posted

white plume showing now on the webcam. An answer for the person who wondered if the gathering darkness was making the cloud look darker or if it was a higher concentration of ash. The white water vapour clouds still show up in the darkness so the last half hour or so has been pumping out almost totally ash.