Cold?
IGNORED

General Volcanic Activity Thread!

Coast

Posted

flashback..2010...

This was unprecedented at the time..

Iceland Volcanoes

In step with the hammering on the Tibetan Plateau on April 13-14, which accompanied the loss of the Earth's S Pole on the magnetosphere, the volcanoes on Iceland indicated that new spreading of the Atlantic has occurred. Eyjafjallajökull, which had rumbled to life in March, 2010 exploded, creating a horrific ash cloud that engulfed Europe. The ash cloud sweeps across Norway and Sweden, and then curls south to cross the UK and north toward Poland. This caused the largest airline shutdown since World War II in Europe.

image.thumb.png.9335e7654e6e4802d86c3789b2bbbbb2.png

All UK Airports Closed Due To Volcano Ash
April 15, 2010
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Iceland-Volcano-Grounds-UK-Flights

All UK airports - including Gatwick and Heathrow - have been closed after a massive cloud of ash from a volcano in Iceland drifted into UK airspace. Air space in Scandinavian countries including Denmark and Norway has also been closed.

Icelandic Eruptions May Disrupt Air Travel for Months
April 17, 2010
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aWhdMivcLsNg

Eyjafjallajökull last erupted in December 1821, with the event lasting until January 1823. The current blast has sent ash to as high as 7 kilometers (4.5 miles), according to a vulcanologist at the University of Iceland. The edge of the ash cloud was forecast to reach as far south as northern Italy and Romania and as far east as the borders of Kazakhstan.

More than business interests related to airline travel and the ability to import food into Europe are at stake. Volcanic ash can worsen asthma, and in the worst case settle into the lungs like liquid concrete. Crops can be affected by the volcanic gloom, and livestock poisoned by fluoride and other metals in the ash.

4/17/2010: Iceland hosts many volcanoes as it sits on the boundary between the great Eurasian Plate and the great N American Plate, which are spreading apart. The tearing of the Atlantic Rift has been predicted by ourselves to occur long before the pole shift, and is already occurring. This is just the start. Without question, Iceland's volcanoes will be highly active from this point forward, with only temporary periods where the ash seems to abate. Iceland may be leading the pack, but volcanoes on the West Coast of the Americas, the Andes, and in Indonesia and elsewhere will follow suit. The dangers from volcanic dust are well known, no secret,

image.thumb.png.20d73ef2fe7a168cfbba39599b8748f6.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Missed the start by 20 minutes. It's now already come down to a single vent  as far as I can see and building a small cone.

One thing about that Icelandic moss it burns for ages.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Impressive live drone footage atm

• Thanks 2

Posted

What a time to be alive when you're seeing Isak's drone footage live from the eruption site in real-time, not so impressive have been the morons climbing on-to the lower flanks of Litli Hrútur and defying the authorities warnings not to tread over freshly produced lava fields for obvious reasons. The trails have been closed again until Saturday for this reason and the uncertainties regarding air-pollution at this time, hopefully the majority of sensible folk going to see this eruption are let back in after Saturday with plenty of new volunteers (the Iceland gov has been advertising for ranger jobs) around to watch over the area.

• Like 1

Posted

A good example from RUV.is of the stupidity of some people yesterday, I just don't understand the need to get that close to a eruptive cone that anyone can easily see from a safer distance away and capture with a decent 55-200mm SLR lens.

1.width-800.thumb.jpg.fefaa2fedb9ba0f57d0610e0192b749d.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Surface deformation chart showing the Reykjanes land uplift from the 27 June to 12 July, most notable over the last few days is the uplift recorded between Litli-Hrútur and Keilir (in the white circle) which is indicative of further magma now moving towards the north from the main eruptive center at Litli-Hrútur.

This is the reason why access to the current eruption site was only being allowed from the south trails (possibly re-opening Monday?) and why the area around Keilir could  be the next location of another fissure eruption if/when the magma breaks the surface.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.4fc758655882f5eea2fa39728dfeb4c4.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
On 13/07/2023 at 13:54, SNOW_JOKE said:

A good example from RUV.is of the stupidity of some people yesterday, I just don't understand the need to get that close to a eruptive cone that anyone can easily see from a safer distance away and capture with a decent 55-200mm SLR lens.

1.width-800.thumb.jpg.fefaa2fedb9ba0f57d0610e0192b749d.jpg

That's from the first eruption I think. Just Icelandic did a good video apparently people were already walking on the newly formed lava. Drones were hampering the fire fighting attempts by getting in the way of the helicopter. Interesting the first eruption there were loads of drones and loads of helicopters whether the people were more tech savy and flew the drone slower or were plain lucky I don't know. If anyone went through the lava they wouldn't be rescued either. The trail is closed until the conditions improve. Sadly the days of taking responsibility for your own actions and thinking about what you are doing seems to be long gone. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

I believe that park rangers are currently in the progress of making a viable hiking path to the eruption site whilst firefighting appliances have made some progress in extinguishing the moss-fires today, smoke has visually reduced on the live-cams and there's calls for local volunteers to guide unbewaring 'tourists' along the path so there's very few (if any) chances of anyone going astray (or ashtray 😄). Weather into next week is more favourable with winds switching to SSE and light-rain showers, which is perfect timing for when i'm on the ground there. 

• Like 6

Posted

Quite a viscious change with Litli-Hrútur over the past 2 days with ever-increasing effusive events and small cone collapses, quite a significant one occurred at 04:11am this morning along it's entire western flank that has changed the lava flow considerably and with more flow beginning to head north. Its 5 miles from there to the nearest town of Vogar (where i'll be staying over the weekend) so i'm not concerned about changing accomodation arrangements just yet, but if another collapse occurs to it's north then it'll begin impacting more infastructure over the coming weeks/months (worst case scenario.)

Untitled.thumb.jpg.812f74d7d269164eb05f024ea679b9a0.jpg

Edited by SNOW_JOKE
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

That was one big break out...😲

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Drone view.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I can now safely say that seeing a active volcano is one for the bucket-list now ticked off, a exhausting few days of long hikes and little sleep but i've been fortunate with the weather and the now Police/SAR restrictions imposed on the trails to/from Litli Hrutur due to 'tourists' doing stupid 'tourist stuff' only the day after I spent 14 hours just soaking it all in with all the other sensible watchers. 

Way too many images to share on here but this is just a taster, compared to actually being there however it's a completely different atmosphere, the sound of the magma 'swishing' like a ocean tide, the heat, the smoke, and how eery the glow lights up any low clouds.

IMG_0073.thumb.JPG.b4fba580b44ad9f6c6b39c12c402e8b1.JPGIMG_0171.thumb.JPG.6343891f5fda5b5483cf25084b47584d.JPGIMG_0183.thumb.JPG.8a4930deb7605e3991de93b867e57b19.JPG

IMG_0226.thumb.JPG.608e82ba6f1a1bdf2a70f965afbd8a15.JPGIMG_0239.thumb.JPG.a934e44644e401fe769ac7aecf7766de.JPGIMG_0294.thumb.JPG.a729f9605d63b50efeca00650533ff87.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms
28 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

I can now safely say that seeing a active volcano is one for the bucket-list now ticked off, a exhausting few days of long hikes and little sleep but i've been fortunate with the weather and the now Police/SAR restrictions imposed on the trails to/from Litli Hrutur due to 'tourists' doing stupid 'tourist stuff' only the day after I spent 14 hours just soaking it all in with all the other sensible watchers. 

Way too many images to share on here but this is just a taster, compared to actually being there however it's a completely different atmosphere, the sound of the magma 'swishing' like a ocean tide, the heat, the smoke, and how eery the glow lights up any low clouds.

IMG_0073.thumb.JPG.b4fba580b44ad9f6c6b39c12c402e8b1.JPGIMG_0171.thumb.JPG.6343891f5fda5b5483cf25084b47584d.JPGIMG_0183.thumb.JPG.8a4930deb7605e3991de93b867e57b19.JPG

IMG_0226.thumb.JPG.608e82ba6f1a1bdf2a70f965afbd8a15.JPGIMG_0239.thumb.JPG.a934e44644e401fe769ac7aecf7766de.JPGIMG_0294.thumb.JPG.a729f9605d63b50efeca00650533ff87.JPG

Wow you made it there. What an experience. Great photos.

I have been watching it on the live YouTube channels. I have seen some spectators in the background that certainly seemed foolhardy being so close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Wow, great pics, glad you got to see it.  I was wondering how you were getting on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Wow, great pics, glad you got to see it.  I was wondering how you were getting on.

Thanks 🙂 the M50ii was a wise investment just a week beforehand and stood up to the task, having missed the last 2 years due to CV19 doing the rounds and making travel more difficult I wasn't going to miss this opportunity. One thing that's for certain is that I have a lot more respect for the local photographers/documenters/SAR Teams who are out every-day (or other day) to show the world these Icelandic eruptions, I was completely shattered when getting back to the car at 5am and that was only carrying the usual hiking kit i'd take for a basic weekend trip, these folks are out there with 500mm zoom lens, drones, video-equipment, on-top of that AND the food & water in weight.

It's expensive but seeing the Earth literally turning itself inside-out is something everyone should want to see at least once imo.

Edited by SNOW_JOKE
  • Like 4

Posted
5 hours ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Thanks 🙂 the M50ii was a wise investment just a week beforehand and stood up to the task, having missed the last 2 years due to CV19 doing the rounds and making travel more difficult I wasn't going to miss this opportunity. One thing that's for certain is that I have a lot more respect for the local photographers/documenters/SAR Teams who are out every-day (or other day) to show the world these Icelandic eruptions, I was completely shattered when getting back to the car at 5am and that was only carrying the usual hiking kit i'd take for a basic weekend trip, these folks are out there with 500mm zoom lens, drones, video-equipment, on-top of that AND the food & water in weight.

It's expensive but seeing the Earth literally turning itself inside-out is something everyone should want to see at least once 

Totally agree.  Although it sounds exhausting you now have a super experience that will stay with you for life.  Really pleased for you.

• Like 2

Posted

Well done Snow_Joke. Out of interest how long did it take to hike there?

Posted
3 hours ago, The PIT said:

Well done Snow_Joke. Out of interest how long did it take to hike there?

I didn't time it exactly but i'd estimate a round-trip of 6 and a half hours starting/finishing from P1 along Hiking Trail A, there's quite a few sharp inclines which was okay going but coming back downhill can be like stepping on marbles 😐 and the path is all a mix of scree & boulders similar to what you'd expect around the western Lake District mountains.

Tom Scott has a good video of the same route up to Geldingadalir although to get to Litli-Hrútur is an additional 2.5 miles, it's fairly simple to navigate as you can either follow the crowds or the marker posts, it's just the terrain that's energy sapping at times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Dust devil compilation part 1

Dust devil compilation along with the north face collapse.

• Like 1

Posted

The eruption is probably close to coming to an end the flow rate now down to 4.5m3. Then we will be back waiting for the next eruption.

• Like 1

Posted
On 30/07/2023 at 08:50, The PIT said:

The eruption is probably close to coming to an end the flow rate now down to 4.5m3. Then we will be back waiting for the next eruption.

Litli-Hrútur has only a predicted week or two left with eruptive output steadily declining from the 18m3/s when I was there, to 12m3/s last week and now down to a mere 4.5m3/s since yesterday. That's the nature of these fissure eruptions as each cone-building sequence will steadily be building a single +2000ft outlying shield volcano over the next tens of thousands of years.

It was fun jumping on the flight to Keflavik only a week after it began and spending near-enough a full day at the eruption site and watching the cone grow, then collapse, then re-grow. Maybe 2024 or 2025 to wait until the next Reykjanes eruption, but Katla, Askja, Hekla, Grimsvotn, and Krafla are still 'overdue' until then.

Posted

Stromboli volcano in Sicily, Italy is erupting right now😍

Stromboli.thumb.png.3b694b3256a3c21ed4fc3b08d1af1d1d.png

social474.jpg
WWW.SKYLINEWEBCAMS.COM

Check out our Stromboli live cam and watch the live eruptions of this incredible volcano! Enjoy our free webcams of the world's most active volcanoes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow