Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Yep incredible that you have the budget airliners as well complaining that the business model of selling seats for £20 a pop doesn't allow for this.....

The simply answer is well it bloddy well should !

Totally!

Posted

I have watched this story grow over the last couple of days, and do believe that it is far better to stay with caution than the airlines and especially willie walsh saying nothing is wrong with his plane.

Remember that KLM nearly lost a plane in 1995 when it flew through a Volcano cloud. The best infor that is available at thew moment really seems to bve on the Met office website concerning where they found the ash.... Now i live near gatwick and was surpised to read ash detected at 5,000 feet. Now we know commercial airliners fly higher than this but the concern is that if it was detected at that level then surely it is likely to be higher as well.

We must must side on the air of caution as we in this country are taking a direct hit from the ash cloud whether we like it or not.

Willie walsh does concern me.....

Posted

I do wish the Met Office would be brave enough to start talking about the expected change of wind direction which is expected towards Thursday. And then the media might stop being so negative, all you here is no end in sight which is total rubbish, as for the government and European response thats been totally inadequate, the models indicated at the start of all the drama that the pattern was not going to change before the end of this week.

Why wait 5 days before putting contingency plans in place? Regarding the test flights, these cant map continually the density of ash, so for example if the airspace was opened for certain routes, what happens if an aircraft suddenly encounters a deeper density of ash than shown on the test flights. Who basically would trust flying at the moment with this level of uncertainty?

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

I do wish the Met Office would be brave enough to start talking about the expected change of wind direction which is expected towards Thursday. And then the media might stop being so negative, all you here is no end in sight which is total rubbish, as for the government and European response thats been totally inadequate, the models indicated at the start of all the drama that the pattern was not going to change before the end of this week.

Why wait 5 days before putting contingency plans in place? Regarding the test flights, these cant map continually the density of ash, so for example if the airspace was opened for certain routes, what happens if an aircraft suddenly encounters a deeper density of ash than shown on the test flights. Who basically would trust flying at the moment with this level of uncertainty?

totally agree nick. would be corporate suicide

Posted

Hey its Conor again, im still stuck in Frankfurt, my flight which was moved to tommorow with ryanair has been cancelled and whats the point in moving it again when flights will obviously get closed till the weekend which is going to be much to late because my money will not last till then!

Im desperate to get home, im only 18 and barely speak any german and would appreciate it if someone knew where i could get a train from Frankfurt to England.

Please email me at conor_edwards_07@hotmail.com

Thanks guys

Edited by conor123

Posted

msnbc. Report conflicting signals from volcano, volcanologist believe its likely that katla will erupt and be much larger than Eyjafjallajoekull

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/vp/36632249#36632313

Posted

Hey its Conor again, im still stuck in Frankfurt, my flight which was moved to tommorow with ryanair has been cancelled and whats the point in moving it again when flights will obviously get closed till the weekend which is going to be much to late because my money will not last till then!

Im desperate to get home, im only 18 and barely speak any german and would appreciate it if someone knew where i could get a train from Frankfurt to England.

Thanks guys

Look here: http://www.seat61.com/Germany.htm#Frankfurt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Thanks guys

I've e-mailed the address and a link to Conor, as well as the twitter thing #getmehome

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Again misplaced concern about Katla

As far as is known Katla is not showing any whatsoever signs of unrest. So I guess discussion about what Katla *could* do are, for the moment, entirely in the realm of fantasy. We should also be aware that the most recent eruptions of Katla, in 1860 and 1918, were certainly very violent, but far from creating any global climatic effects. On the other hand, one thing is sure, once Katla erupts, it will be a BIG mess in air traffic in Europe and in the north Atlantic.

Boris Behncke

Boris knows what he's taking about by the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Thanks guys

Conor,

if you are flying Ryanair I think you must be at Hahn rather than Rhein/Main airport. There is a regular bus shuttle from Hahn to Frankfurt although I do not know if this is running at the mo - probably not.

If you are in Rhein/Main you should be able to catch the S bahn (suburban rail) into the main station (Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof). There are regular ICE trains from there to Paris from where you can get a TGV (if they are not booked-up) to London/Calais. This solution is likely to be expensive and may take a day or two depending on seat availability. There are also slower services from Frankfusrt Hbf to Ostend via Koeln (Cologne): again seat availability may be an issue.

Hope this helps.... a bit anyway :-)

Muff

Posted

Doubt it - most of these people are blaming Gordon Brown

Yup...it's Brown's fault for the eruption.

"Gordon Brown already has shown his colors in his threats against Iceland to illegally and improperly use the IMF as a collection agent for debts that Iceland doesn’t legally owe, and to blackball Icelandic membership in the EU."

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article25179.htm

Posted

OK it's been a pretty wide scope of discussion about the volcano and it's effects in here + fairly relaxed, lets try and keep it civil and topical folks - please! B)

Posted

Quiet day on the mountain today, very little in the way of ash or steam. If it continues to settle down, I would have thought that we would be looking at Wednesday/Thursday for the UK/NL/DE

But further South/East may take longer

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted

Quiet day on the mountain today, very little in the way of ash or steam. If it continues to settle down, I would have thought that we would be looking at Wednesday/Thursday for the UK/NL/DE

But further South/East may take longer

Hi there, how do you know this do you have pics or is there a webcam to view , if so please post a link

Edited by Delta76