Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

ESK is the one nearer Katla, isn't it?

Esk is the seismic station nearest to the currently erupting volcano. (and no, i am not even going to try to spell it! :lol: )

Katla is the HVO station.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

KLM say they would not fly in that area - Iceland-Russia. They want to fly in the pockets where the dust is negligible.

ESK is the one nearer Katla, isn't it?

Yes but what everyone else knows they cannot predict where the ash will be. Unless they've developed a new detection system that keeping under their hat.

ESK I've just noticed has come back online and no it's not the one for Katla. I suspect that the Katla sensor is actually picking up the present eurption. The increase is interesting as it doesn't seem to be connected in an increase of surface activity yet.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Well it dissapeared and like an eejit i pressed F5 and the page is still loading LOL doh.gif

well your not losing anything because it aint there!

Posted

Got it back up again. Like you say Joe, plane gone. Looks lie the image went at 18:43 according to the replay. Sure it will re-appear soon

Posted

Was watching that virtual radar for the 747 from Heathrow. Just been outside and there's a big fat, spread contrail overhead going east-west.

Posted

Isn't it normal for flights to disappear from these types of radars when over the Atlantic? Who remembers the Air France flight which went down in a severe thunderstorm last year? It was difficult to locate the wreckage as the plane can not be accurately tracked whilst over the ocean.

Having said that, I'd expect the plane to be a lot closer to Cardiff by now if it is expecting to land at 20:30.

Posted

BAW9156 is approcing Ireland from the west.

is it on that we radar?

Posted

It is on www.flightradar24.com I can't see it on Casper.

ok thanks ill watch it come into the casper radar soon.. that planes flying very fast isn't it.. i thought it would take far longer to fly from london to the west of ireland would it not?

Posted

A few planes have just crossed the border into France. None of which are KLM but start with the call sign 'CFG'

Test planes?

Edited by saint

Posted

A few planes have just crossed the border into France. None of which are KLM but start with the call sign 'CFG'

Test planes?

Condor . its a german airline theres a fleet of five of them .

Posted

One thing to consider about the Finnish jet - the faster you fly the more damage the dust will do to the engine. An F-18 jet planes goes 1100 mph while a 747 at maximum goes half that. Fly at the speed of sound through the core of a volcanic plume and you're asking for damage. Fly a 747 at half speed through the outer bands of the plume and you will sustain much much less damage. I can't quantify this but aircraft technicians presumably could.

Posted

BA test flight in the descent now NW of cork down to 21,000ft

Posted

Problem with the radar sites is they are not officiel, people connect up local radars all over the country and it kind of forms a national one...a bigger radar than most ATCO will see actually. Though an ATCO radar will be more accurate.

Cross atlantic, yes there are less but the NAT tracks flown do have radar for a fair bit of coverage, the odd remote radar will feed in and of course where air traffic remote radars are, there is unlikely to be an enthusiast with similar kit, per se in the location of some of the remote radars used for ATCO.

On to the airliner issue. I would be surprised if allowances are made. But this is unpresedented all the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

But what about my baby sweetcorn and mange tout!!!!!!

Posted

But what about my baby sweetcorn and mange tout!!!!!!

You veggie. What about my Danish bacon, New Zealand lamb chops and German sausages?

Edited by AtlanticFlamethrower

Posted

You veggie. What about my Danish bacon, New Zealand lamb chops and German sausages?

And what's wrong with dandelian leaves, nettles, rabbits and even the odd rat if necesary? :wallbash:

Very worrying the way the seismic charts are showing continued rises at esk and hvo. If Katla should blow then this could last months not days or weeks. 8)

Posted

BAW9156 ( test flight) on final approach into Cardiff International Airport coming in from the WNW now .

Edited by Delta76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters

Very worrying the way the seismic charts are showing continued rises at esk and hvo. If Katla should blow then this could last months not days or weeks. shok.gif

Hmmm yes not great news. Forgive me if I'm wrong but is it 'harmonic' tremor that is the worrying one, any one know if any has been about lately around Katla/how to recognise it?

C.L.

Posted

Isn't it normal for flights to disappear from these types of radars when over the Atlantic? Who remembers the Air France flight which went down in a severe thunderstorm last year? It was difficult to locate the wreckage as the plane can not be accurately tracked whilst over the ocean.

Having said that, I'd expect the plane to be a lot closer to Cardiff by now if it is expecting to land at 20:30.

Regarding that Air France flight you're talking about, did they ever find the wreckage or the black box?

Posted

BA test flight on BBC news 24, coming into land

Posted

Yeah, but we do have to learn lessons from this event, though. I still feel enormously priveleged on the occasions when I get to fly anywhere, but there are people who use them like buses. There are people who commute to work in England from Northern France, for example, and how come it is more economic for an international company to fly its sales staff around the world rather than employ locals? After all, there is no hint of any green solutions imminent for planes and the US military last week warned about oil shortages as soon as 2015: http://www.guardian....oduction-supply

Time to get in the queue for an allotment....

People in this country don't care enough about green issues. Most people are ignorant of peak oil as well as the need to transfer to a steady-state economy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Yeh, veg schmedge - how we gonna grow bananas??? :wallbash: