IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I find this funny

European Union transport ministers say they have agreed a plan to gradually ease flight restrictions in European airspace. They have created three zones - European air traffic will be able to resume in designated "caution zones" where the threat of ash is considered less of a danger

So how are they going to cautious flying through it.

Posted

seems a little more ash being spewed out by the volcano again now, plume seems more sustained and dark again , but not as high as over the weekend.

Could it be going back into ash mode.

With winds heading straight for the UK if it did send ash like before i would be quite a farse the announcements today for airspace retriction lifting tomorrow

Posted

The plume does seem to be getting higher again. Apparently they are strong winds the area which is one of the reasons it's not so high.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Is it just me, or have the webcams at that Mila site been down for ages?? cc_confused.gif

I haven't been able to view any of the views of Eyja since about 2pm today.. Its was a pretty good day to view the volcano as well with not too much cloud. Anyone else having trouble with the site saying their server being down?

Mila is now locals only just like they did with the vodafone ones the other day.

stills are taken every hour and posted somewhere or other, I will try and find the link, I know its somewhere on the eruptions blog.

Great fun this Volcano, its better than snow or thunderstorms IMO, more dramatic and thats without Katla, "The Beast from the EastNorth" lol

Russ

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

http://www.jonfr.com/ He's had a look and says Hekla is sleeping like a babe at the moment. Earthquake swarms are a sign of trouble for this one.

Looking at the previous blog entry on that page, the ash cloud may regain height tomorrow as the wind dies down as lately its been lower due to a strong wind. No signs of the eruption stopping.

Posted

How many people have died on the roads because of the pointless blanket ban on flights? It's a fair question to ask.

Errrr.....? Probably not a lot, And many people haven't traveled by road, only those in Coaches and I haven't heard of any reports of Coach crashes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

How many people have died on the roads because of the pointless blanket ban on flights? It's a fair question to ask.

How has the incidence of acute asthma exacerbations fared over the past few days is another one. Might have a quick look but it won't be scientific as it wouldn't be possible to control for pollen and so on.

Posted

What pointless ban ??????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Pointless ban? So safety is pointless as well?

Better to be safe than sorry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There is certainly a lot of ash in the atmosphere above Norwich at the moment. It looks rather odd, there's a clearly-defined layer of "clean" air near the surface with little in the way of scattering of sunlight, yet elsewhere, it looks incredibly hazy with bright orange skies around the sun and strong scattering of the sunlight. It's well up there with the skies we sometimes get in those anticyclonic regimes with airmasses coming in from eastern Europe.

Posted

Are there any cams which actually work now or at least load? Links please! :D

Posted

I think the no flight restrictions are far from pointless and if people are dying in road accidents it is usually the fault of the driver not the fault of having to drive more often or further..

I have driven for over 40 years and have only had one accident, when I was distracted and reversed into a low post. (:D yes I am a woman!) And I have driven regularly and for quite a few years was drivng all day 5 days a week but I was taught to be aware that every other driver on the road was a potential idiot and to drive accordingly.

If the ash again reaches great heights these restrictions will be on again like it or not.

We currently have sea fog here which has lowered the temps a lot but it isn't as white as the usual sea fogs, looks more like a light smog so am wondering if there is some ash or other pollutants in it. Certainly not smoke as no smell.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Am I the only one rather suspicious over todays developments? From no flights to suddenly many airports open tomorrow, what has changed so drastically from this morning till this evening? The conference call meeting between European Transport Ministers seems to have caused the change, so why has this taken so long and how can it be dangerous to fly then all of a sudden okay, one could think that either the whole episode has been a big overreaction to the ash or pressure by airlines to restart flying with the risk reward ratio deemed acceptable!

Posted

Am I the only one rather suspicious over todays developments? From no flights to suddenly many airports open tomorrow, what has changed so drastically from this morning till this evening? The conference call meeting between European Transport Ministers seems to have caused the change, so why has this taken so long and how can it be dangerous to fly then all of a sudden okay, one could think that either the whole episode has been a big overreaction to the ash or pressure by airlines to restart flying with the risk reward ratio deemed acceptable!

Yes but who takes the risks and who gets the rewards? Say's it all really.Seems odd to me too.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Am I the only one rather suspicious over todays developments?

Nope.

Posted

Tomorrow will probably decide whether this has been one of the biggest over reactions of the 21st century or the safest and best decision of the 21st century.

Posted

Yes but who takes the risks and who gets the rewards? Say's it all really.Seems odd to me too.

It just seems very fishy to me that all of a sudden these ministers get together and then all of a sudden a deal is reached, even the word deal which is mentioned in the press release seems strange, either its safe or not! and then the case of those fighter jets which suffered engine damage.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

Tomorrow will probably decide whether this has been one of the biggest over reactions of the 21st century or the safest and best decision of the 21st century.

I think the right decision has been made. We know ash can damage engines so it wasn't a risk worth taking. I'm sure there were many opportunities in which flights could have dodged the cloud. Its just forecasting those places and gaps within the cloud that's the problem. At least flights are starting to tomorrow, whether its temporary remains to be seen. Will depend on what this volcano decides to do. Seems to be calming down however recent seismic activity could perhaps suggest something more to come.

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

There is certainly a lot of ash in the atmosphere above Norwich at the moment. It looks rather odd, there's a clearly-defined layer of "clean" air near the surface with little in the way of scattering of sunlight, yet elsewhere, it looks incredibly hazy with bright orange skies around the sun and strong scattering of the sunlight. It's well up there with the skies we sometimes get in those anticyclonic regimes with airmasses coming in from eastern Europe.

Would agree with every word. Hazy in a Northerly - i dont think so!

All ash remnants

Posted

It's been an unusual day really with most countries now deciding it's safe to fly.

My own thoughts on it are that you would have to be within a 200 mile radius approx of the core ash cloud for it to stop engines. I would think most of the ash over Europe is very thin and any risk would be from long term flying. I think flying should start but only under strict guidelines that planes are inspected daily for signs of ash damage.

I suppose flying in thunderstorms is also dangerous and yet happens all the time.

Risks have to be quantified and the risk of Europe going bancrupt was very possible if the crisis continued.

We've had 3 acts of God in the last 6 months, floods, ice, and now this. Is it all a coincidence. Swine flu panic aswell, perhaps it's the internet driven age where we know too much and communicate instantly. If Europe sneezes the US catches a cold.