Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

Has anyone found the Mulakot webcam is no longer working? some sort of announcement on there but I don't read Icelandic!

This seemed to be the last web cam we could view relatively live (five second delay) what's going on!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
mulakot.net returns errors. Technicians 1984 Ltd. has been notified! Referred by

So says google translate ;-)

Edited by Mondy

Posted

The Meto correctly forecast and predicted ash plume movement. They also estimate intensity and area. Then vaac and nats etc get together and decide if that is a dangerous level. Plume is still over us but i assume its weak enough by tomorrow to allow flights. monitoring plume yesterday the BA bflight spent most of its time in areas very low with dust. Spent large part of its flight at 400000 ft too. Saturday if it had flown mr Willie Walsh may have been located by his dental records as the ash was more intense.

Yes we should look to get things going and open windows to allow it, but only when safe to do so.

I think next time we will see a more staggered shut down and periods of opening.

Posted

So says google translate ;-)

If the seismic web pages go down as well i will suspect a conspiracy! :lol:

Lady Pakal, I now feel like throwing my toys out of the pram too! I have waited all my life for such a wonderful opportunity to view a live volcano and now they are taking my candy away! Waaaah :good:

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

http://metoffice.com/corporate/pressoffice/2010/volcano.html

The Met Office is the North-west European Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre

Hannnggg Onnnnn! Yesterday they were the entire European Volcanic Ash Advisory - a subtle shift there!

Btw, this is new :good: :lol:

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Monday April 19, 2145

Since our last statement at 1530 today, the volcano eruption in Iceland has strengthened and a new ash cloud is spreading south and east towards the UK. This demonstrates the dynamic and rapidly changing conditions in which we are working.

Latest information from the Met Office shows that the situation is worsening in some areas. Based on this information, the situation for Northern Irish airports for the morning is uncertain, due to the new ash cloud. The latest information shows that Scottish airports should be available from 0700 and more airspace over England may become available from 1300 although not as far south as the main London airports.

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and the situation is likely to change overnight. We will make a further statement at approximately 0300 (local time), tomorrow, Tuesday 20 April and again at 0700.

Posted

http://metoffice.com...10/volcano.html

Hannnggg Onnnnn! Yesterday they were the entire European Volcanic Ash Advisory - a subtle shift there!

Btw, this is new :lol: :(

"It is for the aviation industry and regulator to set thresholds for safe ash ingestion."

Hmmm, Distancing beginning?

PS

By the way, does anyone know where I can now view any webcams of the eruption at all! i already have withdrawal symptoms. :good:

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Are the forecasts based on computer models and theory, or have they got something that can physically measure whats up there, its density ( ie weight) and where the winds are pushing it?

Posted

Some serious head-scratching will be going on right now within the "powers that be"

Raising hopes about flights tomorrow possibly beginning only for this "direct hit" ash cloud to come our way.

Posted

"It is for the aviation industry and regulator to set thresholds for safe ash ingestion."

Hmmm, Distancing beginning?

But it is true, MetO are not Aircraft Engineers/Makers and should never be expected to even contemplate what the thresholds are in the slightest. MetO give the info on the weather and the ash they find/suspect to be in the air, up to other Authorities what they do with that data to fit in with their particular area of concern.

Posted

Two pictures for those interested.

1 shows satalite picture of Ash heading from the Volcano and in my humble opinion shows what a good call to stop flights on that day

Picture is from 17th

Also the connection between that volcano and Katla

post-5585-12717115617622_thumb.jpg

post-5585-12717115826922_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The ash cloud today at around dinner time looks bigger than I thought it would look to tell the truth http://turdus.blog.is/blog/turdus/entry/1044733/

Posted

But it is true, MetO are not Aircraft Engineers/Makers and should never be expected to even contemplate what the thresholds are in the slightest. MetO give the info on the weather and the ash they find/suspect to be in the air, up to other Authorities what they do with that data to fit in with their particular area of concern.

I quite agree but it looks like the MetO have been threatened with the big stick and they are fighting back by telling it as it is.

So sad no webcams now! The seismic charts aren't telling much as even the scientists are confused by them.

"Also the connection between that volcano and Katla"

Where is the connection? Maybe I am missing something (I did have a glass of wine, but only one :rolleyes: ) but I can't see that the magma chambers are connected.

Edited by coldfingers

Some serious head-scratching will be going on right now within the "powers that be"

Raising hopes about flights tomorrow possibly beginning only for this "direct hit" ash cloud to come our way.

There couldn't really be more of a direct hit by the upper winds:

post-2844-12717119733022_thumb.png

Posted

Just as they open (soon) Scottish air space for business, just as quickly they (will)close.

Wind has really picked up here the last few hours. Ona true NW-SE heading - With Love from Iceland:

p1271721600.gif

EDIT: Great minds, Catch!

Edited by Mondy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Lighter winds in Iceland which i believe are forecast will let the Ash cloud rise again now to a level which will affect flights again i suspect. May still be a brief window for flying tomorrow but i think emphasis on brief with the new ash cloud now.

Posted

Ho hum. Lets bash the Met Office again... They supply predictions according to their model (although, admittedly, it does seem to be as jumpy as Corporal Jones); it's not their role to make decisions on this one. If NATS wanted they could thumb their noses at what the MetO said. All I can say is that I'd not be entirely happy about being in an aeroplane that was flying into an area where its engines might be disabled. If a plane did fly into the ash cloud and then crash because NATS had given the all-clear based on MetO data, some parts of the media would instantly be clamouring for the chief forecaster to be slung in jail for mass murder. Naturally, they're going to err on the side of caution. Which would you rather: 150,000 people inconvenienced for some days (including a friend of my parents who did not get away today for her first holiday in three years) or 1500 people dead because a plane's engines failed on its last approach to Manchester airport and it landed on a school?

It's all a bit uncertain about what's happening at the volcano at the mo anyway: Beeb news now says that it's spewing more lava, which, paradoxically, may mean that there is less gas/ash/glass shards.

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

It's very noticeable, outwith BA, that all other well known UK carriers (RyanAir, EasyJet and Virgin) have kept quiet. Indeed, Ryanair were very quick to ban all flights until Wed (they did this on Sunday)

Posted

BA are not going to get into trouble with this at all, I read yesterday they have £1.7 billion cash! and they can keep going like this for some considerable time before getting into financial difficulty...will see if I can find the page and post it here.

Despite the huge losses being incurred, BA said it still had "significant funding" available to allow it to stay in business should flights be grounded for a "considerable period".

Before the disruption, the airline had more than £1.7bn in cash reserves to draw on, as well as more than £400m in available credit.

Source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8629674.stm

Edited by SnowBear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

It's very noticeable, outwith BA, that all other well known UK carriers (RyanAir, EasyJet and Virgin) have kept quiet. Indeed, Ryanair were very quick to ban all flights until Wed (they did this on Sunday)

Hmmm, last interview I heard from Ryanair had Mr O'Leary positively frothing at the mouth. I suspect that Ryanair announced a long delay in order to encourage travellers to return whence they came and stop claiming for their meals, etc. Agree about the others, though: ballonists have reported flying through visible dustclouds - you'd think R Branson would pitch in, wouldn't you, instead of keep farting about breaking records.

Posted

Yup, even Mr O'Leary has remained relatively quiet (by his standards).

If - as some people are claiming - BA and other carriers are going to refuse to compensate/recompense/rearrange flights for free/fund accommodations for their customers (some of which they have to do according to EU law) on the grounds of 'act of God' (which doesn't as far as I can remember have a legal basis), how come they feel entitled to start demanding compensation from the EU?

Apropos of nothing much, I saw a report earlier that parachutists somewhere in England had reported that they could see the ash in the air during their descent. This leads to one question: how the hell did they get up high enough to parachute given that the only flights in UK airspace today appear to have been a private jet going from Calais to Biggin Hill and a microlight?

Edited by crepuscular ray