Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

I quite agree but it looks like the MetO have been threatened with the big stick and they are fighting back by telling it as it is.

So sad no webcams now! The seismic charts aren't telling much as even the scientists are confused by them.

"Also the connection between that volcano and Katla"

Where is the connection? Maybe I am missing something (I did have a glass of wine, but only one :rolleyes: ) but I can't see that the magma chambers are connected.

Sorry badly worded due topeople earlier saying connection.

I put that up to show no connection but good comparrison for type of intensity eruption of Katla would be compared to current one

Posted

Sorry badly worded due topeople earlier saying connection.

I put that up to show no connection but good comparrison for type of intensity eruption of Katla would be compared to current one

Three of the last four eruptions of this volcano, the name of which I can't spell (the exception being the current phase) have been followed within a geologically short period by eruptions of Katla. Of course, it's statistics rather than a definite prediction, ...

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

//............//This leads to one question: how the hell did they get up high enough to parachute given that the only flights in UK airspace today appear to have been a private jet going from Calais to Biggin Hill and a microlight?

Possibly using a balloon as a base to jump from ;-)

Posted

me! been saying it for days

I think it will aswell every time this one has blown katla has just after!

Then we will be up to our neck in it the very north of scotland wont be a nice place to be!

Might stock up on bread :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

anyone got a picture of Eyjaflallajokull from ground level today?

http://picasaweb.google.com/102175391233488315229/EyjafjallajokullVolcano19thOfApril2010#5461969719971462242

just minutes old

Posted

SB: A balloon flight's a possibility I suppose.

AFT: No ground-level images today - the usual webcams appear to be overloaded.

dicksonrangers: Have you got space to store bread (and other more nutritious foodstuffs) for the next few years (if the scaremongers' worst predictions about food shortages and a return to anarchy were to come true)?

[i wish I could figure out how to get multiquote to work...]

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

Keep an eye on the Vodapnone images on the Google/Picasa site images - now it is dark you can see (on the right hand image) a red glow at the base of the plume - lava or fire of some sort.

Some recent pics from the Vala cam: http://s878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/Reynir_Heidberg/Eyjafjallajokull%20via%20Vala/

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Posted

SB: A balloon flight's a possibility I suppose.

AFT: No ground-level images today - the usual webcams appear to be overloaded.

dicksonrangers: Have you got space to store bread (and other more nutritious foodstuffs) for the next few years (if the scaremongers' worst predictions about food shortages and a return to anarchy were to come true)?

[i wish I could figure out how to get multiquote to work...]

come to think of it bread will be no good unless its frozen! when the power goes out in a few years it will defrost and go mouldy :rolleyes:

On a serious note The powers that be in this country will be spending a lot of time planning im sure for katla when it does go!

100 hundred times the power of this one!.... :help:

Edited by dicksonrangers

Posted

Oooh good, they've got it working again. Given that it's a few miles from the site of the eruption, that's v. impressive.

Posted

Iceland has been on my list a long time... walking on the warm crust in the caldera of a dormant volcano just isn't the same as seeing one go bang...

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

Iceland has been on my list a long time... walking on the warm crust in the crater of a dormant volcano just isn't the same as seeing one go bang...

A person after my own heart. hubby wants to go to Iceland for the fishing, me for the volcanos. Now i don't need to wast money! :D

Posted

Watching from your own home isn't the same tho'... no weird smell for a start. :D Well, not from a volcano anyway.

It's hard not to be interested in this stuff in my case - studied Geology at Uni.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

Watching from your own home isn't the same tho'... no weird smell for a start. ;) Well, not from a volcano anyway

Wish you hadn't said that last sentence! No but it's a good second best and perhaps the best I will get.

Husband sick so not much chance now of getting there. Unless someone leaves me a fortune.

Wow, just saw some lava bombs thrown out. Yes!!! The volcano of course. :D

OH, oh, oh! I want to watch both at once! Keep switching between the two views.

Edited by coldfingers