Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

I am getting increasingly sceptical about all this much like Nick Sussex.

Is there a Big Dyson situated near Dover vacuuming up all this ash and not letting it penetrate into Europe.

Edit: Maybe it is a Barrier much like the brick wall that deflects Storms into the Low Countries :nonono:

Posted

Latest Update 3:00pm 20/04/2010

Airspace Restrictions to remain in place until at least 1am tomorrow excluding parts of Scotland and Northern England

Most airports closed.

Thomas cook organises rescue flights

http://volcanicdisruption.co.cc/

Edited by jello

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

This is a cool vid... http://http.ruv.stra...myndir_omar.wmv

See the ripples in the ash clouds - they are shock waves.

Thats well cool!!! laugh.gif

Posted

As the 2 KLM flights went over here, you could make out a lower level of grey "cloud". I'm assuming that this would be ash?

Posted

As the 2 KLM flights went over here, you could make out a lower level of grey "cloud". I'm assuming that this would be ash?

NWA have 2 flights over southern england 1s about to fly over southampton at 34,000ft the other is at 30,485ft both from Amsterdam to US flights

Posted

I am getting increasingly sceptical about all this much like Nick Sussex.

Is there a Big Dyson situated near Dover vacuuming up all this ash and not letting it penetrate into Europe.

Edit: Maybe it is a Barrier much like the brick wall that deflects Storms into the Low Countries :nonono:

I just think that they consider the risks to high as they probably have not got sensistive enough equipment to deduce just how bad or otherwise the situation is. Better to be safe than sorry bearing in mind the 1982 incident.

Posted

Sad really when the MetO feel the need to justify what they have said..but note, MetO are not the only ones producing the info, it is double, triple checked with other agencies against their own.

The Met Office uses multiple dispersion models endorsed by the international meteorological community. The output from the Met Office volcanic ash dispersion model has been compared with our neighbouring VAACs in Canada and France since the beginning of this incident and the results are consistent.

Our models are confirmed by observations which have seen ash in the UK and south of England. These include:

* Met Office and NERC aircraft have observed volcanic ash in UK airspace at varying heights.

* Multiple land observations have recorded ash in the skies across the UK, including across southern Britain.

* Balloon observations have shown a 600 m deep ash cloud at an altitude of 4 km across parts of the UK.

Source: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2010/volcano.html

Edited by SnowBear

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

It would be nice if Katla blows. It should help reduce the amount of un-neccessary wastage of fossil-fuels in Europe.

Not if it gives a year without summer as everyone will have the heating on etc.

Posted

It would be nice if Katla blows. It should help reduce the amount of un-neccessary wastage of fossil-fuels in Europe.

Surely if Katla blows in comparison to where it is would see shut down of air travel for numerous months. It is twice the size.

How does Edinburgh stay open whilst Glasgow shuts, surely ash over Glasgow would get to Edinburgh within a very short space of time. None of this makes any sense at all.

It doesn't make much sense, the airports are only about 40 miles apart. It isn't even explained by the size or direction of the runways as these are broadly similar in length and orientation.

The only difference is that Edinburgh possibly offers more of an approach over water in case planes develop engine trouble...but let's not hope that this is part of the selection criteria!

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

soaring petrol prices,food,fruit ect..ect... :nonono:

Posted

So they have used balloons which refutes one claim made by KLM. So the ash cloud is at 13123 ft +/- a few feet. Is this layer also over Europe. If it is there risking climbing through it.

Posted

No different to thunderstorms, one town can have a downpour and thunder and lightning, and a town 20 miles away have clear blue skies all day. As the ash cloud fragments and the wind pushes it around pockets of ash and areas of clear will appear. It will in some ways behave similar to water vapour clouds I guess.

Posted

Well theres one air craft that maybe going through the ash any minute now. An airline called arkefly. I'm worried it's heading my way. Ah seems to be descending probably going to robin hood

Edited by The PIT

Posted

BBC weather forecaster Jay Wynne with the latest on the volcanic ash cloud

A change in wind direction by the weekend could help blow Iceland's volcanic ash cloud away from Europe, a BBC meteorologist says.

North-westerly winds over the Atlantic have blown ash from an erupting volcano over the UK and Europe this week.

Much of the continent's airspace has been closed for fear the ash will damage plane engines.

BBC Weather's Matt Taylor warned ash blown away from Europe could cause problems for Canada instead.

Wind direction map

"Weather conditions should be more favourable by the end of the week," Matt Taylor said.

A new high-pressure system will form in the Atlantic by the weekend.

Some posistive news

"The wind should change to the opposite direction: it could start to disperse some of the stuff that has been blown over from Iceland," Mr Taylor said.

"As we move from Friday into the weekend, we will start to see south and south-westerly winds. Even if there is any fresh eruption, the ash should not be blown over the UK."

The weather pattern should continue to blow the ash cloud away into next week, Mr Taylor said.

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Well looks like our Arkenfly plane might be landing at heathrow? Where did it start off from? Glasgow?

Scrap that it's landing at Luton ...

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*

Posted

Idiotic comment of the month

Posted

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/oroi/esk.gif

Seismic activity seems to be slowly dropping, as for what it means, I think that is anybodys guess.

Certainly on the Valahnuk webcam it is still streaming ash, but you can see it dropping out of the cloud so perhaps less left over for others. :help:

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Well theres one air craft that maybe going through the ash any minute now. An airline called arkefly. I'm worried it's heading my way. Ah seems to be descending probably going to robin hood

Going to Luton along with 2 others that have come from up Scotland , incidentley it passed over Doncaster, you live in sheffield. Currently 7 jet ailrliners flying in England below 10,000ft i thought there was a ban and yes some are in the south ????

Posted

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/oroi/esk.gif

Seismic activity seems to be slowly dropping, as for what it means, I think that is anybodys guess.

Certainly on the Valahnuk webcam it is still streaming ash.

Dunno about that - been a bit of an uptick recently here: http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/stodvaplott.html

Posted

Currently 14 BA longhaul flights due for arrivals. All supposed to be for Heathrow or gatwick, which is unlikely. Mention of them going to Madrid or Barcelona now which is crazy when we just had the schoolboy Milliband on Sky saying all foreigners to make their way to northern European ports. http://flightaware.com/live/fleet/BAW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Ryanair cancelled up to 1300 Thursday now so that's finally confirmed what I expected - no Poland trip for me.

Posted

Currently 14 BA longhaul flights due for arrivals. All supposed to be for Heathrow or gatwick, which is unlikely. Mention of them going to Madrid or Barcelona now which is crazy when we just had the schoolboy Milliband on Sky saying all foreigners to make their way to northern European ports. http://flightaware.com/live/fleet/BAW

Think Scotland will take some Mondy.

Posted

Ryanair cancelled up to 1300 Thursday now so that's finally confirmed what I expected - no Poland trip for me.

did they offer your money back or another date when availible?