Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

Dunno about that - been a bit of an uptick recently here: http://hraun.vedur.i...todvaplott.html

Ah yes, forgot about that one!

The red line is certainly rising again, I just wish I knew what it meant, I think someone on another forum suggested maybe magma rising?

Posted

2 jet2 and 2 Thomson aircraft heading south from scotland near the lake district at the mo 3 below 10.000ft and one at 24 000

Posted

One thing I have noticed that is quite amazing to see is the amount of what must be sattelites moving across the sky shok.gif On Saturday night I was fishing and lay outside on my bedchair and must have seen more than 20 objects and a few of these seemed to be pulsing as they moved too. I was always under the impression that you could only see these for 15 seconds or so but you can virtually follow most of them to the horizon. Also saw 4 shooting stars including one that streaked straight across and was really vivid and fairly slow moving compared to others i have seen smile.gif And no I had'nt been drinking blum.gif If you can get away from any light pollution you should be able to see them on a clear night.

Posted

Latest images

post-6181-12717791709234_thumb.jpg

post-6181-12717791752434_thumb.jpg

I believe seismic activity indicates lava is coming to the surface, so increased activity being a good thing. Would have to do some research into it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

did they offer your money back or another date when availible?

It's full refund (within 20 working days :help: ) or rebook onto a different flight at some later time. We're not quite sure what to do just yet.

Posted

One thing I have noticed that is quite amazing to see is the amount of what must be sattelites moving across the sky shok.gif On Saturday night I was fishing and lay outside on my bedchair and must have seen more than 20 objects and a few of these seemed to be pulsing as they moved too. I was always under the impression that you could only see these for 15 seconds or so but you can virtually follow most of them to the horizon. Also saw 4 shooting stars including one that streaked straight across and was really vivid and fairly slow moving compared to others i have seen smile.gif And no I had'nt been drinking blum.gif If you can get away from any light pollution you should be able to see them on a clear night.

Must be slow fishing your way! Bedchair indeed. :help: True about the satelites, I watch them from one horizon to another when fishing and I think we are in a good period for shooting stars at the moment. I once saw one come in on a really low trajectory across the sea before breaking up in a shower of 'sparks', strange thing was it was early evening in the summer and still light so must have been a big one.

Latest images

post-6181-12717791709234_thumb.jpg

post-6181-12717791752434_thumb.jpg

I believe seismic activity indicates lava is coming to the surface, so increased activity being a good thing. Would have to do some research into it.

I tried the other day but never did A level physics so got boggled and gave up.

I am hoping it continues even though my family say I am being mean to stranded passengers.

Not true, I am travelling to Spain in June and if I had to miss my flight then I would just accept that nature rules rather than men.

Totally different scenario if you are stranded there and running out of money though.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well as far as the stranded people are concerned it's a total farce. Typical Government cock up.

Anyway Volcano still erupting and a slight increase in seismic activity. Also it looks like another change in the wind direction is happening directing the plume towards the cams.

Posted

Must be slow fishing your way! Bedchair indeed. :wallbash: True about the satelites, I watch them from one horizon to another when fishing and I think we are in a good period for shooting stars at the moment. I once saw one come in on a really low trajectory across the sea before breaking up in a shower of 'sparks', strange thing was it was early evening in the summer and still light so must have been a big one.

I tried the other day but never did A level physics so got boggled and gave up.

I am hoping it continues even though my family say I am being mean to stranded passengers.

Not true, I am travelling to Spain in June and if I had to miss my flight then I would just accept that nature rules rather than men.

Totally different scenario if you are stranded there and running out of money though.

You can see the increase reflected here (lower one):

http://www.simnet.is/jonfr500/earthquake/tremoren.htm

Posted

You can see the increase reflected here (lower one):

http://www.simnet.is...ke/tremoren.htm

Oh! That looks intersting! Many tahnks Ladypakal, another one to bookmark. Going to have to make a folder all of it's own for this volcano.

Posted

Must be slow fishing your way! Bedchair indeed. rofl.gif True about the satelites, I watch them from one horizon to another when fishing and I think we are in a good period for shooting stars at the moment. I once saw one come in on a really low trajectory across the sea before breaking up in a shower of 'sparks', strange thing was it was early evening in the summer and still light so must have been a big one.

Thats carp fishing for you mate wallbash.gifcold.gifbiggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Well as far as the stranded people are concerned it's a total farce. Typical Government cock up.

Anyway Volcano still erupting and a slight increase in seismic activity. Also it looks like another change in the wind direction is happening directing the plume towards the cams.

I think we are supposed to avoid politicking but really what are the Govt supposed to do? When you go to a foreign country you are no longer subject to the rules of GB! What would a different administration have done that would have avoided this "farce"? :wallbash:

soaring petrol prices,food,fruit ect..ect... :nonono:

One things for sure: the planes will all stop flying one day, unless we can find an alternative source of high octane aviation fuel. Might as well learn something from this event and start preparing for that day.

Posted

I think we are supposed to avoid politicking but really what are the Govt supposed to do? When you go to a foreign country you are no longer subject to the rules of GB! What would a different administration have done that would have avoided this "farce"? :wallbash:

Sorry i don't 'do' politics so don't blame any party or think one would do better than another.

However I always thought a country had a duty to it's citizens in difficulty abroad or has that changed?

Again I am not aware of how many of these citizens have approached embassy staff or received advice or help so perhaps we shouldn't be quick to judge either way.

Anyway going back to the subject of the volcano, does anyone know if the current shift in the wind in Iceland means the ash will be blown away from our direction at last, or isn't it a significant enough swing?

Posted

Latest Update 17:45pm 20/04/2010

British Airways has cancelled all longhaul flights arriving into the UK before 12pm tomorrow. And all short hall fights in and out of the UK before 1pm tomorrow

BMI to resume flights from heathrow tomorrow at 12pm

Ryanair flights between Ireland and UK cancelled until 1pm Friday 23rd

NATS: Flight restrictions to stay in place until 1am tomorrow. Excluding parts of Scotland and Northern England

Glasgow airport to open between 7pm and 1am

Edited by jello

Posted

Sorry i don't 'do' politics so don't blame any party or think one would do better than another.

However I always thought a country had a duty to it's citizens in difficulty abroad or has that changed?

Again I am not aware of how many of these citizens have approached embassy staff or received advice or help so perhaps we shouldn't be quick to judge either way.

Anyway going back to the subject of the volcano, does anyone know if the current shift in the wind in Iceland means the ash will be blown away from our direction at last, or isn't it a significant enough swing?

The current ash being emitted from the volcano is not high enough to reach the UK, apparently. Its just a case of how long will the current one take to clear. The wind shift on Friday would have cleared the UK from the ash cloud by Saturday i would have thought!

Posted

Wow

Getting news from other Forums that BA Are Intending to land the 12 Jets at Heathrow and they are locked in talks with the Government at the Moment. Looks like a Stand off between NATS & BA At the moment. :wallbash:

If they get away with this what are the other airlines going to say PMSL

Posted

Lol

The Denver Flight is 8 Miles West of Heathrow Approaching - They dont give a S*** :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I've been watching that. There were 2 Aer Lingus planes too and one has gone - must have landed at Shannon?

Posted

Confirmed 2 BA Flights landing at Newcastle - Definitely the Beijing One

Heathrow Landing looks to be 1938pm from one of the US Flights

Paul S

Posted

I've been watching that. There were 2 Aer Lingus planes too and one has gone - must have landed at Shannon?

Heard on Irish news that BA intend to land up to 12 aircraft at Shannon before 9pm (when it's due to close again) and Aer Lingus have a number of aircraft returning (empty) from around Europe but one from Tenerife with passengers all to Shannon.